PDA

View Full Version : Speakers Front and Rear

Billboard
05-02-2014, 02:37 PM
I currently have a Kenwood double din deck 50 watts per channel, with four JL Audio 5x7 speakers, with the factory sub (soon to get upgraded).

I want more punch and volume from the car. I rented a 2014 Ford with a factory Sony deck and factory 6 inch component speakers all around, it sounded great. I would like my car to sound just as good.

The current 5x7s seems small, I can buy Kicker components 6x8 model 40CSS684 speakers for about $150.00 a pair.

My question, how much cutting will I need to do to get the 6x8 in the rear, should I just go to 6 inch round components? I have a 2003 where do I mount the tweeter? are they generally surface mount?

Any size option for the door speakers, there is such a small opening in the door trim, not sure an upgrade would pay off here, maybe 5x7 components? not sure it would make that much of a difference.

External amp would not be out of the question, please let me know what you have and how much work it was.

boatmangc
05-02-2014, 04:11 PM
6X8 will drop right in.
I had to do some surgery to fit 6X9s though.
JL audio is no slouch. Put some power to them!
I put in a Pioneer 75X4 for my mains and a Pioneer 200 for the sub, upgraded the sub driver.
Night and day. I have infinity 5X7 up front and Infinity 6X9 in the back with the Pioneer sub driver upgrade discussed in a thread here somewhere.
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=81384&page=2&highlight=subwoofer

Posts #17 & # 19

Billboard
05-02-2014, 07:48 PM
OK., I have a 6 inch JL sub, and 400 watt mono JL amp.

I will install that and look into a 400x4 amp (100W per channel) fot the four mains.

Thanks for your input Boatmangc

sflrainmaker01
05-03-2014, 06:51 AM
I put the Kickers (5x7) in the doors, last summer. Man, they still sound sweet! The previous owner had a Alpine system in the car, so there are still Alpines in the back. Nowhere near the sound of the Kickers, but, the pass side one just started crackling. So, its toast. I am going to put the 6x8 Kickers in there, soon. BTW, I do not run an amp for the 4 speakers (Hi power Pioneer Stereo), just for the subs, and the sound is amazing (except for the crackling, now :rolleyes:). I know with all 4 Kickers it will be crisp and clean!

chief455
06-21-2014, 06:03 AM
Anyone reading this - so, when you put the 5x8 component speakers in the front doors, CSS68 - you are mounting the crossover box and tweeter = where?
Or, are you mounting the CS68 coax speakers in the doors, are these drop in = no other stuff to mount but the speaker itself?
Getting ready to do this, hoping to see some finished examples..