PDA

View Full Version : LCMs - Other relays

fastblackmerc
05-22-2014, 05:15 AM
I gotten reports and have seen some LCMs that in addition to the headlights not working, the foglights parking lights, etc. are not working either. This is due to other 3 relays in the LCM. Since the original relays is no longer made and they are same crappy ones that caused the headlight issues I have some new relays (40A instead of 10A) being shipped. I'll install these in my LCM and test to ensure that they are the proper relays.

If they work, which I'm sure they will, I'll be upgrading all LCMs that I get. The headlights will still be using the external heavy duty relay. The rest of the relays (internal) will be upgraded to the newer ones.

If I repaired an LCM for you and you are experiencing issues with the other lights, I will upgrade the other 3 relays for the price of the parts and shipping.

LCM Removal:

The LCM is about the size of a brick and is located just to the right of the steering column, in front of the gas pedal. There are 3 electrical connectors on the LCM.
Remove the bottom two connectors by depressing the tab and pulling on the connectors.
Remove the 2 mounting screws with a 7mm nut driver or socket. Push the LCM towards the gas pedal while rotating it up towards the roof. Once it’s free of the bracket, pull the LCM down towards the floor. You should now be able to release the last electrical connector.

Curless
05-22-2014, 06:17 AM
Jim, is there room inside the LCM for all of the relays or do they all need to be outside of the original box? Just curious, one outside is not so bad, but 3 or 4 makes a wiring mess under the dash.

Zack
05-22-2014, 06:27 AM
Jim, is there room inside the LCM for all of the relays or do they all need to be outside of the original box? Just curious, one outside is not so bad, but 3 or 4 makes a wiring mess under the dash.

Clearly you didnt read his post.

martyo
05-22-2014, 06:30 AM

Reading is fundamental.

The headlights will still be using the external heavy duty relay. The rest of the relays will be upgraded to the newer ones.

Curless
05-22-2014, 06:34 AM

Oh yes I did, however my simple mind did not comprehend all that I read....thank you kind sir for pointing out the error in my ways... Jim, I rescind my previous question....carry on.

Curless
05-22-2014, 06:35 AM
Reading is fun for da mental.

Fixed it for you!

fastblackmerc
05-22-2014, 07:07 AM
The new relays (3) will be in their original position inside the LCM, soldered to the PCB. I will continue to install the heavy duty headlight relay externally.

The new relays will be 20A, an upgrade from the stock 10A.

If this works I'll be offering the upgrade to all the owners of LCMs I've repaired.

Curless
05-22-2014, 07:21 AM
The new relays (3) will be in their original position inside the LCM, soldered to the PCB. I will continue to install the heavy duty headlight relay externally.

The new relays will be 15A, an upgrade from the stock 10A.

If this works I'll be offering the upgrade to all the owners of LCMs I've repaired.

Good stuff, I wondered about the other relays but since no one was complaining about them it was not an issue.....age wreaks havoc on all things in time.

MyBlackBeasts
05-22-2014, 08:32 AM
.....age wreaks havoc on all things in time.

How true... :shake:

fastblackmerc
05-22-2014, 12:31 PM
New relays arrived... got work to do!

Black Terror
05-22-2014, 02:08 PM
Has anyone actually seen the LCM that Ford is offering? Jason changed mine out this week but I did not see the actual part and don't know if it is different than original.
Surely, they made some changes for a recall change out.
I have seen the results of your mod and it is great, especially now that you are changing out the other three relays for better relays.
You have done a great service to the Marauder Community with the LCM's and other mod's you have done.
Thanks.

cw1115
05-22-2014, 02:20 PM
I had no fog lights or running/tail lights the other day. Started working again the next day after the car sat overnight. I already upgraded the headlight relay. I have an appointment next week to have the LCM replaced under the recall.

fastblackmerc
05-22-2014, 02:42 PM
Has anyone actually seen the LCM that Ford is offering? Jason changed mine out this week but I did not see the actual part and don't know if it is different than original.
Surely, they made some changes for a recall change out.
I have seen the results of your mod and it is great, especially now that you are changing out the other three relays for better relays.
You have done a great service to the Marauder Community with the LCM's and other mod's you have done.
Thanks.
As soon as they come off back order and I get mine I'll verify.

I bet there is no change to the new LCM. The reason I say this is it would cost alot of money for Ford to re-engineer the part. Since alot of these cars will be over the 250K mileage limit in the next 4-8 years, Ford is banking on the majority of the "new" LCMs will last at least that long.

I believe the length of time you use the headlights is directly related to how the relay lasts.

fastblackmerc
05-22-2014, 02:43 PM
I had no fog lights or running/tail lights the other day. Started working again the next day after the car sat overnight. I already upgraded the headlight relay. I have an appointment next week to have the LCM replaced under the recall.

Next time that happens, tap the LCM and if the lights come on then the relay(s) inside the LCM are starting to go bad.

Ken
05-22-2014, 07:33 PM
This would explain why I haven't had fog lights on my 03 300A for years.

Marauderjack
05-23-2014, 08:03 AM
FORD's vendor may have gone with the same relays but better metal on the contacts Jim......my replacement has lasted 9 years without a glitch!!:beer:

BTW......my turn signals froze on the original one...everything else worked!!:confused:

BLACKMARAUDER04
05-23-2014, 10:36 AM
Ford issued a TSB finally and will replace in most cases.

zrschaef
06-03-2014, 08:00 PM

So ford put out a recall on the LCMs?

L.Mark
06-03-2014, 08:19 PM

I bet there is no change to the new LCM. The reason I say this is it would cost alot of money for Ford to re-engineer the part. Since alot of these cars will be over the 250K mileage limit in the next 4-8 years, Ford is banking on the majority of the LCMs will last at least that long.

I believe the length of time you use the headlights is directly related to how the relay lasts.

What about the fog lights. If you use them all the time do you think that will also cut down on how long the relay lasts???

Mr. Man
06-03-2014, 08:19 PM
Got our new recall LCM put in today. I wanted the old one to send to FBM but they said recall parts go back to Ford for verification of the problem. My guess is they are worth .50cents as scrap and Ford is recouping some dough.

As for the relays crapping out based on usage I'm not so sure Ms.D always drives with the low beams on during the day and ours was original (04) DD for first 7-8 years. Started to go when the car was only used sparingly. Who knows?

EMAS
06-03-2014, 09:29 PM

I bet there is no change to the new LCM. The reason I say this is it would cost alot of money for Ford to re-engineer the part. Since alot of these cars will be over the 250K mileage limit in the next 4-8 years, Ford is banking on the majority of the LCMs will last at least that long.

It would not cost a lot of money to specify a new better relay that fit in the same footprint, like the ones you found. Not saying that they did, just that it wouldn't cost a lot to make that change. Now if changes were required to the circuit board that would cost a bit of money but again not that much.

Relays are rated in cycles, many are rated for different numbers of cycles depending on how much amperage they are asked to switch.

fastblackmerc
09-27-2014, 08:55 AM
I have a few LCM's that are repaired..... new external heavy duty relay and new higher rated relays (3) inside. Ready for immediate shipment for you to swap out.

Windsor58
11-21-2014, 04:53 PM
Feedback - I just wanted to post my satisfaction with fastblackmercs upgraded LCM. I bought one from him and he sent it out very quick. It arrived in perfect shape and included step by step instructions. I had it installed today (can't do it myself, but that's another issue...). It works great. The modifications he made look like it came from the factory. Very nice work. Highly recommended. Thanks, Jim.
Chip Auten

fastblackmerc
01-02-2015, 05:30 AM
Feedback - I just wanted to post my satisfaction with fastblackmercs upgraded LCM. I bought one from him and he sent it out very quick. It arrived in perfect shape and included step by step instructions. I had it installed today (can't do it myself, but that's another issue...). It works great. The modifications he made look like it came from the factory. Very nice work. Highly recommended. Thanks, Jim.
Chip Auten

Glad I could help a fellow Marauder owner!

burt ragio
01-02-2015, 06:45 AM
Changing out the old relays at the LMC for new with higher rating would there be a voltage increase at the lights ? Has anyone ever tested before and after ?

fastblackmerc
01-02-2015, 07:51 AM
Changing out the old relays at the LMC for new with higher rating would there be a voltage increase at the lights ? Has anyone ever tested before and after ?

I haven't tested that but one member that has one on my upgraded LCM's reported that his headlights were brighter and was getting "flashed" by oncoming drivers.

fastblackmerc
03-17-2015, 02:50 PM
Just realized I never posted pictures of the LCM's that I repair. In addition to the external heavy duty headlight relay the other three relays (internally) are upgraded from 10amp to 15amp units.

At least it doesn't look like a second grader did the work... :eek:

Bottom
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u133/fastblackmerc/LCM/Repaired%20LCM%20Bottom_zpsemy q8yv2.jpg (http://s167.photobucket.com/user/fastblackmerc/media/LCM/Repaired%20LCM%20Bottom_zpsemy q8yv2.jpg.html)
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u133/fastblackmerc/LCM/Repaired%20LCM%20Top_zpsiidd2m y6.jpg (http://s167.photobucket.com/user/fastblackmerc/media/LCM/Repaired%20LCM%20Top_zpsiidd2m y6.jpg.html)
Installed
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u133/fastblackmerc/LCM/DSCN0680.jpg (http://s167.photobucket.com/user/fastblackmerc/media/LCM/DSCN0680.jpg.html)

fastblackmerc
12-07-2015, 09:04 AM
I have now sourced 20A relays, instead of the 15A relays, to replace the three internal relays.

If you have one of my repaired LCMs and you are experiencing foglight problems, I'll replace the three internal replays for the cost of the relays + return shipping. Probably around $10.00.

lifespeed
12-07-2015, 11:01 AM
That sounds like a nice upgrade, especially as they are the same footprint as the originals. When my LCM went out I just replaced all the relays with the same part. It still works 5 years later, but who knows what the ultimate life will be. Maybe the relay mfg did a better job on the newer parts?

One thing for sure, if it croaks again it will go to Fastblackmerc for new relays.

Edit: have you considered the beefier internal relays might be adequate for the headlights now? It would be more compact.

fastblackmerc
12-07-2015, 11:27 AM
That sounds like a nice upgrade, especially as they are the same footprint as the originals. When my LCM went out I just replaced all the relays with the same part. It still works 5 years later, but who knows what the ultimate life will be. Maybe the relay mfg did a better job on the newer parts?

One thing for sure, if it croaks again it will go to Fastblackmerc for new relays.

Edit: have you considered the beefier internal relays might be adequate for the headlights now? It would be more compact.

If I could get 30 or 40A relays I'd keep everything internal. Right now I believe the higher amperage external relay is the way to go.

Lowndex
12-07-2015, 11:29 AM
Fastblackmerc,

Please pm the price for you shipping me a new/upgraded LCM with all the new relays.

Once my old LCM is replaced by Ford (work must be done by the dealer - I cannot just take the part in to them), I will send that one to you for re-working as well (backup).

fastblackmerc
08-07-2018, 07:00 AM
I have 2 repaired LCM ready to swapping out.

eclizotte
08-17-2018, 03:19 PM
What's involved in removing and replacing one of the these?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk