PDA

View Full Version : OEM radio config question.

cw1115
05-22-2014, 01:10 PM
Hi,
The radio in my 2003 Marauder stopped receiving. I found the exact radio out of a Crown Vic. Same model number except the new one ends in -AK instead of -AA. (2 years newer manufacture date too) Radio took minutes to swap. My question it how do I change the configuration?
Config 2 and EQ do not come up when I hold the 3 and 6, than preset 6. Also no subwoofer anymore.

Any help would be appreciated.

Michael

fastblackmerc
05-22-2014, 01:14 PM
Hi,
The radio in my 2003 Marauder stopped receiving. I found the exact radio out of a Crown Vic. Same model number except the new one ends in -AK instead of -AA. (2 years newer manufacture date too) Radio took minutes to swap. My question it how do I change the configuration?
Config 2 and EQ do not come up when I hold the 3 and 6, than preset 6. Also no subwoofer anymore.

Any help would be appreciated.

Michael
If there is no subwoofer and you can't change the config, the radios are not the same.... just sayin.....

I would have done the Escape radio swap. You'd get a better sounding radio, subwoofer, internal 6 CD changer, etc.

cw1115
05-22-2014, 02:17 PM
Fastblackmerc, the radio is the same mode number. I am pretty sure that last character being different is just an updated version. It is physically identical. Car it came out of even had the 6 CD changer in the trunk. I read someplace about changing the configuration and can't find where that was.

cw1115
05-22-2014, 05:33 PM
OK, just an update. I pressed and held the tune button (I think. I pressed everything) and now it displays all the same config info as the original radio. Only thing I need to figure out is if the subwoofer can be enabled on this unit.

RF Overlord
05-23-2014, 06:06 AM
Are you sure the CV it came from had a factory sub? I think that's pretty rare...

If there is a subwoofer connector on the back of the radio, then it should just work. I don't think there's any kind of config to turn the sub off or on.

MERCURY 2003LSE
05-25-2014, 08:47 AM
I have the same part number radio .( see picture )
It is not compatable with subwoofer , So i upgraded to audiophile cd-6 .

vegasmarauder
05-28-2014, 12:56 AM
Look at the button in the center of the radio just below the casette tape slot. RDS only on the button is a non-subwoofer enabled head unit. Marauders have RDS on the left side of the button and DSP on the right side of the same button that only has RDS on the Crown Vic/Marquis units. They will play, but not the subwoofer.

EMAS
05-28-2014, 10:02 AM
The last two digits are the key part in a Ford part number. All those numbers in the middle define what type of part it is, in this case a radio. The first 4 numbers define when it was designed. I'm betting if you take it back out and look in the connector for the subwoofer you will not find any pins in there.

RF Overlord
05-28-2014, 10:05 AM
I'm betting if you take it back out and look in the connector for the subwoofer you will not find any pins in there.That's what I was going to ask, why would it have a connector with pins if it was not subwoofer-enabled.

EMAS
05-28-2014, 02:17 PM
That's what I was going to ask, why would it have a connector with pins if it was not subwoofer-enabled.

Because they use the same case for lots of different radios and need something to plug the hole. Using the same connector without terminals is cheaper than designing and stocking a block off plate.

RF Overlord
05-28-2014, 03:18 PM
Wouldn't the OP have noticed the lack of terminals when he went to plug in the subwoofer connector?

EMAS
05-28-2014, 05:42 PM
Wouldn't the OP have noticed the lack of terminals when he went to plug in the subwoofer connector?

If he looked down the hole but my guess is he didn't.

Here is a page that describes and shows some of the different connectors Ford has used over the years.

edit: whoops here is the link http://oem-auto-accessory.com/photo_page.html

Here is a page with the back of a unit for a 2004 CV that shows the place for the subwoofer out but no terminals in it.
http://oem-auto-accessory.com/BACK%20OF%20RADIOS/T100%20PLUG%20S%20SIZE.pdf

cw1115
05-31-2014, 10:55 AM
I missed that. The CV radio has just RDS on the button, not RDS and DSP. Oh well, it sounds almost as good. I have had no reception for almost 2 years, so I is sure better than what I had. Will the audiophile cd-6 just plug in?

fastblackmerc
05-31-2014, 11:53 AM
I missed that. The CV radio has just RDS on the button, not RDS and DSP. Oh well, it sounds almost as good. I have had no reception for almost 2 years, so I is sure better than what I had. Will the audiophile cd-6 just plug in?

Yes and the sub will work.

MERCURY 2003LSE
06-01-2014, 12:37 PM

Yes this is the number you want 6L8T - 18C815 - FD