PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else having a Hard Time after Carlisle (2014)

Bluerauder
06-10-2014, 05:20 PM
After all of the months of anticipation and the terrific activities at Carlisle capped with the largest turnout of Marauders (49 MMs this year), I am having an especially difficult time this week adjusting to normal work duties. I just can't seem to come down off the high that I got hanging with friends and family up on Marauder Mountain and seeing old friends, making new ones and just enjoying all of the variations of MMs in Marauderland.

This event has grown to proportions that I think even surprises the Carlisle Event staff. The MM presence on the showfield is highly evident and our position on the Hill means that everyone, everywhere can see us from anywhere on the showfield or in the grandstands.

Gotta go back to work again today ..... but I am still reliving and thinking about 2014 Carlisle "All Ford Nationals" Weekend and am already looking forward to 2015.

Mark your calendars now for ....... 5-7 June 2015 !!!!

Thanks Hammerdown/Fordfrk, Ladyhawke/Haggis, Ms. Denmark, Comin' in Hot, and MM03MOK for all of your efforts in pulling all the pieces together and making this the biggest and best Carlisle Event so far. You were able to build on all the great legwork and prior efforts of the Blackened300a/Voula team and continue the fine tradition of representing MM.Net to all the car clubs, vendor, event staff, and Ford representatives at Carlisle this year. :2thumbs:

MM.Net should be able to break the 50 MM barrier next year.

Start making your hotel reservations for next year's event soon. The area fills up quickly as the All Ford Show also gets bigger every year.

cat in the hat
06-10-2014, 05:44 PM
. . . I am having an especially difficult time this week adjusting to normal work duties . . .

Thanks Hammerdown/Fordfrk, Ladyhawke/Haggis, Ms. Denmark, Comin' in Hot, and MM03MOK for all of your efforts in pulling all the pieces together and making this the biggest and best Carlisle Event so far . . . :2thumbs:

+1, Thanks ! :)

And yeah, all I want to do now is tinker with my car . . . ;)

Loco1234
06-10-2014, 05:59 PM
As someone whom 1st brought his MM to Carlisle in 2004 & there was no official MM class to what we now have at Carlisle each year... I gotta thank the event organizer's.

To those interested for few years the class carlisle would put my supercharged MM into was the "Modifed Mercury class" amongst hotrod mercury's... It really didn't fit in there & annoyed the class contestants when the vehicle would place...

Hopefully next year we can be even bigger in Carlisle. We truly getting to be known at the event... & one of the largest groups attending anymore...

DEFYANT
06-10-2014, 06:14 PM
I hear ya Charlie. Hanging out with everyone and mingling with the Marauders reignited something in me. Despite my transmission issue, I feel good after this get together.

maineiac
06-10-2014, 06:59 PM
I know the feeling, now all i want is BOOST

Ms. Denmark
06-10-2014, 07:09 PM

2ndmm
06-10-2014, 10:26 PM
you betcha my friend. I couldn't hardly walk monday after the carlisle natl hill climbing event!
Tony

Blackened300a
06-10-2014, 11:28 PM
Yeah having a hard time adjusting to work and sleep, plus this massive sunburn isn't helping much. :cool4:

I shall return next year, and when I mean return, I mean getting the t-shirts, trophies, raffles together and mostly getting involved with the organization once again. It felt uncomfortable being at Carlisle and not being involved after doing it for the last 6yrs. :alone:

Perhaps we can look into catering the event at the tent instead of the mass amount of food we had and also allow for members to sit back and relax instead of being behind the grill during the event.
We can also look into a giant pizza party if we can't have it catered and just meet the delivery guy at the gate. It may be cheaper and easier for everyone.
Still a year to plan and check with Carlisle to see what they allow.

Bluerauder
06-11-2014, 04:05 AM
you betcha my friend. I couldn't hardly walk monday after the carlisle natl hill climbing event!

Monday ??? I had trouble climbing out of bed on Sunday morning. My legs and hips wanted to play "hookey" on the final day. It took about 15 minutes of movement before my muscles and joints loosened up enough to walk halfway normally. I did a ton of walking and hill climbing on all 3 days; but I still prefer our location because of the advantages that it has over being on the flats.

Yeah having a hard time adjusting to work and sleep, plus this massive sunburn isn't helping much. :cool4:

Been there and done that. I caught a little sun on Friday afternoon; but not enough to be in the "cooked" category. Plenty of sunscreen was used on Saturday and Sunday before I left the hotel.

Davesvt2000
06-11-2014, 05:07 AM

I shall return next year, and when I mean return, I mean getting the t-shirts, trophies, raffles together and mostly getting involved with the organization once again. It felt uncomfortable being at Carlisle and not being involved after doing it for the last 6yrs. :alone:

Perhaps we can look into catering the event at the tent instead of the mass amount of food we had and also allow for members to sit back and relax instead of being behind the grill during the event.
We can also look into a giant pizza party if we can't have it catered and just meet the delivery guy at the gate. It may be cheaper and easier for everyone.

Since I'm now Marauderless, next year could I still stop by and have some food ??? :D

Paul, sorry we didnt have more time to talk, just that quick hello when I was in my friend's white 96 cobra down by the wash area.

Ms. Denmark
06-11-2014, 07:15 AM

HammerDown
06-11-2014, 07:26 AM
As someone whom 1st brought his MM to Carlisle in 2004 & there was no official MM class to what we now have at Carlisle each year... I gotta thank the event organizer's.

To those interested for few years the class carlisle would put my supercharged MM into was the "Modifed Mercury class" amongst hotrod mercury's... It really didn't fit in there & annoyed the class contestants when the vehicle would place...

Hopefully next year we can be even bigger in Carlisle. We truly getting to be known at the event... & one of the largest groups attending anymore...

In 2007, Jack (Fordfrk) had his SB parked with the Crown Vics. His was the only Marauder there as far as we could tell.

It's great now to have our spot on the "Mountain".

HammerDown
06-11-2014, 07:40 AM

Yay!!!!! and catered or pizza sounds good to me :)

MM03MOK
06-11-2014, 08:07 AM
Yes, the ideas of bigger and better started even before we left the Mountain! I have already contacted Carlisle about a bigger tent. Here are my questions and when I get answers, I'll post up.....

What is the next level of Club participation to get a larger tent at no cost?
Is it possible to pay an upgrade charge to get a larger tent?
Is it possible to bring in a caterer to our tent to feed our Club?
If so, do you have a preferred list of caterers and are there any restrictions?

Bigdogjim
06-11-2014, 08:12 AM
It will take time but you will get over it:)

DEFYANT
06-11-2014, 08:12 AM
Am I the only one feeling spun up for next year already?

Ms. Denmark
06-11-2014, 08:45 AM
Hell NO! You got lotza company, Charlie. ;)

Blackened300a
06-11-2014, 08:50 AM
Yes, the ideas of bigger and better started even before we left the Mountain! I have already contacted Carlisle about a bigger tent. Here are my questions and when I get answers, I'll post up.....

What is the next level of Club participation to get a larger tent at no cost?
Is it possible to pay an upgrade charge to get a larger tent?
Is it possible to bring in a caterer to our tent to feed our Club?
If so, do you have a preferred list of caterers and are there any restrictions?

According to the Carlisle website...

Tent rentals are available at most specialty events to use as your club headquarters. We offer free or discounted tents to clubs who register a specific number of showfield cars as a way of showing our appreciation for club participation. The tent program is based on car club vehicle Gate-n-Go Registration and is at the sole descretion of event management. - See more at: http://www.carlisleevents.com/clubs-at-carlisle/default.aspx#sthash.kG0JChZr.d puf

The tent size is based on the number of pre-registrations, or the "gate and go" program which means, those who pre-register and get their sticker in the mail so they can drive into the showfield. This was why I always pushed the per-registrations constantly. It dictates the size of the tent and the amount of parking on the showfield. I was informed of this years ago when we earned our own class. PRE-REGISTER!!!

They said the tent size is the discretion of the event staff. Since I represented the Marauders at the celebrity luncheon on Saturday, I have some pull and can likely get a bigger tent. We have to push pre-registration to justify the larger tent or it will be hard to convince them for years to come. The tent is always free with 25 registered cars so we are secured for 2015 as well.

Ill have to find out about the caterer being able to attend Carlisle to set us up. Our advantage is the back entrance close to the hill. Even if we have to provide a temp pass for the caterer, it will still be worth it.

Ill do some research of what local caterer can accommodate a group of 100+ people and still be cost effective. If we can't get a place to be able to get it done for us, 20 pizza pies or a large hero can fit in the trunk of any Marauder that can meet the delivery van at the back gate and picked up without having to have a delivery van enter the field, that's plan B.

Different diet restrictions could be met by seeing what the place has to offer or who wants what.

N40GL
06-11-2014, 08:54 AM
As to the tent, let's see if we can get a tent with a vent in the top, to release all the hot air that got trapped in there (caused a lot by me) and made the site even hotter than it was.

As to caterers - are there any restaurant chains around the area that do catering (Derek--?). I'm thinking Macaroni Grill or equivalent. Picking a larger chain means they have more reputation to protect and they may work harder to get us a good meal.

I also like the idea someone raised about putting out a "Tip Jar" by the food, to raise money to offset incidentals.

Finally, although I tried to orchestrate an effective 'tent city' as canopies appeared. we might consider deliberately leaving a canopy or two of space between the main tent and the cars, to allow the seating area to grow bigger as canopies get added. For example, we couldn't grow in one direction this year without overrunning FreddieH's space, and that's not fair to him to ask him (or anyone) to move.

Also, I'm not all warm-n-fuzzy about the hotel, for reasons I discussed with the hotel management and, later, with Paula. THIS IS NOT ANY REFLECTION ON PAULA - let me make that clear. But the hotel was not up to our usual standards. I hope to develop a solution for that, but even if I don't we might want to think about alternatives for next year. I don't mind driving a bit to get to Carlisle - similar distance to what we had this year.

Blackened300a
06-11-2014, 09:07 AM
As to the tent, let's see if we can get a tent with a vent in the top, to release all the hot air that got trapped in there (caused a lot by me) and made the site even hotter than it was.

As to caterers - are there any restaurant chains around the area that do catering (Derek--?). I'm thinking Macaroni Grill or equivalent. Picking a larger chain means they have more reputation to protect and they may work harder to get us a good meal.

I also like the idea someone raised about putting out a "Tip Jar" by the food, to raise money to offset incidentals.

Finally, although I tried to orchestrate an effective 'tent city' as canopies appeared. we might consider deliberately leaving a canopy or two of space between the main tent and the cars, to allow the seating area to grow bigger as canopies get added. For example, we couldn't grow in one direction this year without overrunning FreddieH's space, and that's not fair to him to ask him (or anyone) to move.

Also, I'm not all warm-n-fuzzy about the hotel, for reasons I discussed with the hotel management and, later, with Paula. THIS IS NOT ANY REFLECTION ON PAULA - let me make that clear. But the hotel was not up to our usual standards. I hope to develop a solution for that, but even if I don't we might want to think about alternatives for next year. I don't mind driving a bit to get to Carlisle - similar distance to what we had this year.

Although I would agree with a vented roof in the tent, this was the first time in probably 5 years that it didnt rain either Friday or Saturday. It would likely be a mud pit should it go back to its usual Carlisle weather pattern and a hole in the tent roof.

I agree with the larger local restaurant chain to cater to us, just they would be less likely to deliver and most of them are up route 11 which is a distance away. Maybe a local downtown Carlisle caterer could accommodate us.
Any pre-planning would require us to get a dollar amount for the food and it can be split up among those who are planning on eating. Some people go way above and beyond and shell out almost $100 for food for the BBQ (very much appreciated) , we would like to keep costs to less then half that.

I personally think it was too many tables under the tent and not enough seating room. I always went with 5 tables max for this reason and had them aligned along the front and side of the tent so the rear was wide open for seating and hanging out. plus left room for anyone who had their own pop tent they wanna set-up.

Bluerauder
06-11-2014, 01:26 PM
Maybe a local downtown Carlisle caterer could accommodate us.

Horner's Corner BBQ offers catering services and also has an on-site stand at the Carlisle Fairgrounds for the carshows. They offer the traditional BBQ ...

MEATS: Pulled Pork, Texas Style Beef Brisket, Smokehouse BBQ Chicken, BBQ Spare Ribs, St. Louis Pork Ribs, Smoked Salmon, Smoked Ham, Slow Roasted Prime Rib, Smoked Turkey, Charbroiled Sirloin Burgers with Cheese, Grilled Hot Dogs.

SIDES: Brown Sugar & Honey Baked Beans; Red Skinned Parsley Potatoes; German Potato Salad; Mac N Cheese; Baked Corn; Creamed Cucumbers; Dutch Potato Salad; Marinated Mushrooms, Tomatoes, and Onions; Tangy Coleslaw; Italian Pasta Salad; Macaroni Salad; Fruit Salad; Broccoli Salad.

LEVEL OF SERVICE: From serving staff to set-up, serve, and clean-up to simple pick-up or delivery service.

This might be an ideal choice if they will do an onsite catering deal for us on the Hill.

Horner's Corner BBQ website >>>>> http://www.hornerscornerbbq.com/

PRICES PER GUEST (minimum of 10) are $14.95 (1 meat), $15.95 (2 meats) or $16.95 (3 meats). Includes sauces, rolls, and 3 sides. Can add ribs at an extra $2.00 per guest, salmon at $2.50 per guest, or prime rib at $3.00 per guest.

$20.00 per head ought to provide a pretty good feast. Drinks are Extra. They can also add drinks (i.e. water, iced tea, lemonade, coffee and tea) for $2.00 per guest.

PHONE:
717.258.4BBQ

E-MAIL:
brian@hornerscornerbbq.com

jsignorelli
06-11-2014, 01:38 PM
I also had a great time on the hill.

My experience at the hotel is only positive. When I needed to fill the water container for the coffee, my server in the Pub gladly went and got it filled for me. When I checked in, the staff was warm and friendly. I have no issues with the cnetral Hotel and told them so on a follow up survey.
As for catering the food next year: If the food service at the fairgrounds has an exclusive contract with Carlisle Events, you might have to go through them. I would check with the organizer before looking into a caterer, only to be shot down after all the work.

MM03MOK
06-11-2014, 01:54 PM
As for catering the food next year: If the food service at the fairgrounds has an exclusive contract with Carlisle Events, you might have to go through them. I would check with the organizer before looking into a caterer, only to be shot down after all the work.

Which is why I have asked Carlisle Events first before we put a lot of effort into it. Horner's Corner has lots of great choices!! We can reserve our own coolers for even more Beverages.... :D

Ms. Denmark
06-11-2014, 02:37 PM
Which is why I have asked Carlisle Events first before we put a lot of effort into it. Horner's Corner has lots of great choices!! We can reserve our own coolers for even more Sangria.... :D I totally agree.:coolman:

Bluerauder
06-11-2014, 02:59 PM
Which is why I have asked Carlisle Events first before we put a lot of effort into it. Horner's Corner has lots of great choices!! We can reserve our own coolers for even more Beverages.... :D

I fixed the website address for Horner's BBQ. :o

Odinson
06-11-2014, 03:06 PM
This was the first year I actually had enough time to properly evaluate everyone's car and vote. I made sure to give each car a minute or two. Felt good. Sorry that hadn't happened before.

Whenever 2 cars were close I went with the underdog. Thought I should mix it up. :)

Bluerauder
06-11-2014, 06:09 PM
OK, I am set for next year already. The hotel is already booked to secure my spot. Can change up or adjust as necessary as plans for next years Carlisle All Ford Nationals come together. In the meantime, I have a place to hang my hat on stand-by.

Bigdogjim
06-11-2014, 07:47 PM
After 4 years of getting a hotel and showfield pass and not showing up I think I am going for 5 years in a row:lol:

Ms. Denmark
06-12-2014, 02:32 AM

jsignorelli
06-12-2014, 04:29 AM
Food for Thought, no pun intended...

My son has a severe allergy to MSG. He was at a BBQ catered by Famous Dave's BBQ House. We had to get him to the emergency room pronto. It seems that Famous Dave uses tons of MSG in most of their foods. If Horner's also uses MSG, then anyone who also has a allergic reaction to it will be in serious trouble. Check with Horner's about whether of not they use MSG. It is a very common food ingredient. Cambell's Soups has MSG. My son has to eat Kosher soups as they as MSG free!

FreddieH
06-12-2014, 04:55 AM
I'm building a garage on the mountain, LOL

71cyclone
06-12-2014, 06:02 AM
I'm building a garage on the mountain, LOL
Ah Yes ,and I will Lease the Second Garage Bay next to You >>>!

N40GL
06-12-2014, 07:39 AM
Not a hole in the roof. A vent. See attached (smaller version).

Although I would agree with a vented roof in the tent, this was the first time in probably 5 years that it didnt rain either Friday or Saturday. It would likely be a mud pit should it go back to its usual Carlisle weather pattern and a hole in the tent roof.

FreddieH
06-12-2014, 08:48 AM
I'm building a garage on the mountain, LOLIt will be a Man Cave type of garage, women by invite only, always cold beer on tap.

Bigdogjim
06-12-2014, 10:44 AM
Why not go for A/C while your at it?