PDA

View Full Version : LCM Not Working

crouse
06-27-2014, 03:19 PM
So I received the LCM letter from Ford. Brought my Marauder to my local Ford dealer today to have it repaired. They called a little later saying that the LCM module is on national back order and it could be a month before they are available.

My headlights don't work at all but the corner lights and fog lights do.

Does anyone have any ideas how to get the headlight to work until the LCM is available again?

crouse
06-27-2014, 03:22 PM
I see RockAuto has one for about $64. Has anyone replaced their LCM with this one from RockAuto?

fastblackmerc
06-27-2014, 04:13 PM
I can repair it but you won't be able to get a new one from Ford... but then again you won't need a new one.
In replace the headlight relay with an external heavy duty one and then replace the other 3 relays with new higher amperage ones.

a_d_a_m
06-27-2014, 04:17 PM
And a fastblackmerc headlight module repair is guaranteed for life, is it not?

(mine still works)

fastblackmerc
06-27-2014, 04:20 PM
And a fastblackmerc headlight module repair is guaranteed for life, is it not?

(mine still works)

You sir.... are are correct!

Jolly Roger
06-28-2014, 05:58 AM
Does anyone know what the cost of an LCM was from Ford before the recall?:o

fastblackmerc
06-28-2014, 07:16 AM
Does anyone know what the cost of an LCM was from Ford before the recall?:o

I believe installed it is close to $600.00. :eek:

Part around $400.00

Labor around $200.00

Might even be more.

crouse
06-28-2014, 07:43 AM
My mistake. I thought it was just the switch that was failing. I didn't realize it was a black box. RockAuto has that part for about $280.

a_d_a_m
06-28-2014, 01:06 PM
Labor around $200.00 To swap a damn LCM?

I'll do it for half that, happily.

IwantmyMMnow!
06-28-2014, 04:31 PM
Too bad there isn't someone that would be happy to do it for free and be allowed to post up about it. :rolleyes:

Oh wait.... :thinker:

fastblackmerc
06-29-2014, 06:13 AM
Too bad there isn't someone that would be happy to do it for free and be allowed to post up about it. :rolleyes:

Oh wait.... :thinker:

Is it really free if you have to pay for parts and return shipping?

Kyle, will call you today...........

fastblackmerc
06-29-2014, 06:13 AM
To swap a damn LCM?

I'll do it for half that, happily.

That's what a dealership will charge.

whitey
06-29-2014, 07:28 AM
Is it really free if you have to pay for parts and return shipping...

Your right <$5 part, and $8 to ship....add them up and you got a $75 service from FBM....:rolleyes:

fastblackmerc
06-29-2014, 07:35 AM
Your right <$5 part, and $8 to ship....add them up and you got a $75 service from FBM....:rolleyes:

So you agree it not free.. Correct?

Do you also replace the other 3 relays?

IwantmyMMnow!
06-29-2014, 08:17 AM
Is it really free if you have to pay for parts and return shipping?

Kyle, will call you today...........

Not knocking you, Jim....was and still am more than happy to pay you for your service 3 years ago instead of the other alternative ($600+).

Just making a point that someone else was willing to provide another alternative for the community for this issue and got shut down.

Thanks for calling me this morning...

whitey
06-29-2014, 08:18 AM
So you agree it not free.. Correct?

Do you also replace the other 3 relays?

Jim, we both know if i post up about my service again, itll get nuked, and ill have to sit in the corner. Lets not anger the moderators again with the same ol' same ol'. But one thing is certain, dont ever think you can call me out and not get a response back. To answer your question, the service i USED to offer was free....but that service isnt here anymore. If youd like to continue this conversation, you know where to find me...but in here, im done with this conversation.

fastblackmerc
06-29-2014, 02:13 PM
Jim, we both know if i post up about my service again, itll get nuked, and ill have to sit in the corner. Lets not anger the moderators again with the same ol' same ol'. But one thing is certain, dont ever think you can call me out and not get a response back. To answer your question, the service i USED to offer was free....but that service isnt here anymore. If youd like to continue this conversation, you know where to find me...but in here, im done with this conversation.

That's right.... Take the easy way out and not answer my questions.... :down:

tbone
06-29-2014, 09:06 PM
I jumped on this repair the minute I got my letter and was the first one to get it done at the local Ford dealer. Had the part in 2 days. I never procrastinate. :burnout:

fastblackmerc
06-30-2014, 04:33 AM
I jumped on this repair the minute I got my letter and was the first one to get it done at the local Ford dealer. Had the part in 2 days. I never procrastinate. :burnout:

+1!

Still waiting for my dealership to get some in stock.

Ms. Denmark
06-30-2014, 04:54 AM
I______________

fastblackmerc
06-30-2014, 05:36 AM
I'd love to know if Ford fixed the problem with the OEM or did I just have another faulty LCM installed? But I won't worry because next time it breaks it's going out to Jim for repair.

Although I haven't seen one of the replacement LCM I'd bet that Ford changed nothing inside the LCM. I believe Ford is just counting on getting most vehicles over the 250k in mileage so the "new" LCM is out of warranty.

BTW.... In addition to a new heavy duty external relay for the headlights I also replace the three other relays on the LCM (with higher amp rating than OEM), for the same price. I still guaranty the LCM's I repair for the life of the car.....

Ms. Denmark
06-30-2014, 08:45 AM
[______________

whitey
06-30-2014, 09:03 AM
That's right.... Take the easy way out and not answer my questions.... :down:

:):D:p;):cool:

crouse
06-30-2014, 11:03 AM
One thing I've noticed is if I turn the lights on before I start the engine, the headlights work. If I start the engine then turn the lights on, the headlights do not work. Hopefully this will continue to work until Ford can replace my LCM.

fastblackmerc
06-30-2014, 12:06 PM
One thing I've noticed is if I turn the lights on before I start the engine, the headlights work. If I start the engine then turn the lights on, the headlights do not work. Hopefully this will continue to work until Ford can replace my LCM.

Good luck!

SamF
06-30-2014, 06:28 PM

When mine went bad sometimes activating the high beam switch would trick the relay into turning the lights on...get it fixed as soon as possible, they surely will fail for good at the worst time. :(

FBM provided mine a few years back, I dont worry about the LCM any longer , tho the recent letter from ford amused and pissed me off at the same time...

fastblackmerc
06-30-2014, 06:40 PM
When mine went bad sometimes activating the high beam switch would trick the relay into turning the lights on...get it fixed as soon as possible, they surely will fail for good at the worst time. :(

FBM provided mine a few years back, I dont worry about the LCM any longer , tho the recent letter from ford amused and pissed me off at the same time...

I believe the hi beams actually bypass the LCM relay.

BTW... Ford never had to issue a safety recall because you could still use the hi beams.

tbone
06-30-2014, 06:56 PM
My LCM only failed once for like 2 seconds in 6 1/2 years of ownership. I'm really ok with that.

crouse
07-07-2014, 12:38 PM
Ford says it could be 4-6 weeks before they have any LCM's available. I'm going to demand that they pay for a new one from Rock Auto or some other source until the factory Ford units are available. What are my chances this will happen?

RF Overlord
07-07-2014, 12:58 PM
I'm going to demand that they pay for a new one from Rock Auto or some other source until the factory Ford units are available. What are my chances this will happen?Do you know what an "obese opportunity" is?

crouse
07-07-2014, 07:47 PM
LOL. Fat Chance?

fastblackmerc
07-08-2014, 04:25 AM
Ford says it could be 4-6 weeks before they have any LCM's available. I'm going to demand that they pay for a new one from Rock Auto or some other source until the factory Ford units are available. What are my chances this will happen?

Good Luck with that.

Let us know their response.

tonyshelton
07-08-2014, 09:12 AM
I just got mine yesterday. Walked in the dealership and got the last one they had. They had made an order for a bunch in April and got three just recently.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

tonyshelton
07-09-2014, 04:49 PM
BTW mine was a different part# the old one started with a 3 and the new one started with a 4.

fastblackmerc
07-10-2014, 04:39 AM
BTW mine was a different part# the old one started with a 3 and the new one started with a 4.

The new part number supersedes the old part number.

Ms. Denmark
08-31-2014, 05:09 PM

MERCULES
08-31-2014, 06:33 PM
I waited 4 weeks for the dealership to get the part and they called to set an appointment.

It turns out they tried an aftermarket part and it would not fit because of the adjustable pedals so I got the car back and I am on the list again for the back ordered part.

To makes things worse the car died on the way home, I took it back to the dealer, they put on a new alternator and said was not there fault just an incredible coincidence the alternator quit on the way home.

Then I found out they put an aftermarket alternator on for a crown vic so I do not have the clutch pulley which could not be moved over because it would not fit the shaft on the new alternator.

Picked up the car at 4:30 Friday before the long weekend and the service manager was out. I am really looking forward to our conversation early Tuesday morning.

Mach
09-01-2014, 08:39 AM
had mine replaced by a guy in cali that owns a Taxi company. just replace the Relay on the circut board of the LCM and thats it.

crouse
09-01-2014, 06:12 PM
Mine was fixed several weeks ago. Sorry I didn't post up right away. Hope it lasts another 11 years.