PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Decks

Vortech347
07-10-2014, 12:02 PM
So after constantly screwing with the settings on my AMP sub I've come to realize the factory ford deck does funky stuff that I can't stand. Like screwing with the low frequency levels at different volumes.

I'm looking for a 2 DIN Video screen deck. Touch screen and that has steering wheel controls. Would prefer DVD but not required. Also would like to use a steering wheel control interface. Pioneers look to be a good bang for the buck. Do they provide enough juice for inside speakers?

fastblackmerc
07-10-2014, 12:16 PM
Yes they do. Love my AVIC X940BT.

Vortech347
07-10-2014, 12:49 PM
Not looking to spend that much. 200-400 range max. I don't need nav, and I don't need blue tooth either. My phone does all that already.

What adapter did you buy for the pioneer?

ctrlraven
07-10-2014, 12:59 PM
Yes they do. Love my AVIC X940BT.
I have a X940BT unit as well and enjoy it.

You'll need to by the PAC steering wheel control interface ( SWI-PS )
http://www.pac-audio.com/swi/SWIAppGuide.aspx?appguideid=18 9&swiModel=Marauder&swiYear=2004&swiMake=Mercury&swiProduct=SWI-PS&swiRadioManu=Pioneer&swiOptions=

ctrlraven
07-10-2014, 01:04 PM
Look at Pioneer's AVHX series of double din, most are in the price range you are looking for.

The AVHX4600BT is a nice unit and offers a 7" screen, plus it's expandable.

justbob
07-10-2014, 02:10 PM
I've got the X740BT (no DVD) and love the sound. The one thing that grinds my ass is the beeping every time you touch a button on it or the steering controls. You can silence out the nav functions, but nothing else.

PM Pops for a damn good deal. He can set you up with just about anything you want, he may even have last years model with current updates like he sold me.

Self proclaimed Builder Of Badassery.

Buy it, Break it, Build it BETTER.
"Since 2004"

fastblackmerc
07-10-2014, 02:26 PM
Not looking to spend that much. 200-400 range max. I don't need nav, and I don't need blue tooth either. My phone does all that already.

What adapter did you buy for the pioneer?

I have the PAC interface unit.

With BT in the headunit you can play your phone thru the hu. There are alot of Android apps for the Pioneer units.

4drcbra
07-10-2014, 02:27 PM
I had an Avic 700. made a HUGE difference

Vortech347
07-10-2014, 07:17 PM
http://shop.sonicelectronix.com/pioneer-avh-x1600dvd/?affiliate=googadw&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=0_-_Promotion_+_Campaign&gclid=CjwKEAjw8_idBRCExfC15My3 owwSJACSDX_W-9qT-SDqG5x-vsOxP07OdT4eeHuY7c224SnC7UVClB oCvVnw_wcB

This one looks great.

Bluetooth doesn't matter to me. I'll have the phone plugged in all the time. Plus, I prefer using my headset. Bluetooth audio through cars without headsets are horrible for the person on the other end, especially when I'm doing business.

I LOVE that it will emulate the navigation map onto the screen. That will be a nice tool when I'm showing homes.

I currently have a little mount for my iphone on the matrix strip. Works well but I'd like to get rid of it.

cat in the hat
07-10-2014, 07:28 PM
I've been looking at the Pioneer AVH-X4500BT. If anyone has any comments on it, I'd love to hear them :)

Jeronimojc
07-10-2014, 08:16 PM
I installed the Pioneer AVH-P3400BH. Touch screen, blue tooth, pandora, DVD, steering wheel controls, USB, can connect to iPhone to use certain apps and watch Youtube or Netflix. etc. All good stuff. AM reception sucks.

Can get for about $300, but will need harness, steering control adaptor, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BAD MERC
07-10-2014, 08:45 PM
Let me add my 2 cents. If you use a deck with a dedicated sub out you will have a much better sound with the OE sub box. Metra makes the wire harness to use it BUT.... have the installer play with resistors on the amp turn-on lead to prevent the pop you'll get. A resistor will make a soft turn-on and not be so alarming when you turn the car on. Also, because of the speed-sensitive volume, the VSS wire is in the radio harness (gray/black) if you get Navigation. Also, the steering wheel control wire is in the harness too. It is light blue/red and there are TWO. One is for radio illumination and if you want to test it, it will only dim the radio if the sunload sensor (top of the dash) is covered.

fastblackmerc
07-11-2014, 04:25 AM
Upgrade the sub if you haven't already. I prefer the Basslink.

Vortech347
07-11-2014, 08:46 AM
What install kit do ya'll use.

fastblackmerc
07-11-2014, 09:36 AM
What install kit do ya'll use.

Metra dash kit: 95-5817

Scosche power, speaker connector: FD23B

Vortech347
08-06-2014, 07:03 PM
Just ordered the AVH-X1600DVD. Got it for $209 with the metra dash kit and harness adapter AND shipping.

Ordering the Steering wheel interface now on ebay.

fastblackmerc
08-07-2014, 04:09 AM
Just ordered the AVH-X1600DVD. Got it for $209 with the metra dash kit and harness adapter AND shipping.

If you have questions on the install let me know.

2,4shofast
08-07-2014, 07:54 AM

I put two of those in Jason's cars, pretty nice units.:beer:

lji372
08-07-2014, 08:51 AM
finding the right deck is a to each his own thing

to small a deck and it's not quite enough

to big a deck and it can be painful-a lot of areas in the system that never get used

imho go to a store with a large selection of decks and think about what deck fits YOUR needs best

cat in the hat
08-07-2014, 05:11 PM
finding the right deck is a to each his own thing

to small a deck and it's not quite enough

to big a deck and it can be painful - a lot of areas in the system that never get used

think about what deck fits YOUR needs best

That's DECK, right ? D-E-C-K ?

lji372
08-07-2014, 05:14 PM
That's DECK, right ? D-E-C-K ?

The title is asking about replacement decks right :confused:

Vortech347
08-12-2014, 01:05 PM
It's all here but the bypass. Going to start building the harness. Which orange wire do I use from the fd23b for the dimmer. White or black stripe? Also any con to cutting down the wire lengths? I can't see why it needs to be almost a foot long.

Vortech347
08-12-2014, 02:05 PM
Another question. The PAC RC says to use the white wire. Which one? It comes out of the box then Y's to one with a black line and one without. Same thing with the ground.

2,4shofast
08-13-2014, 05:47 AM
Another question. The PAC RC says to use the white wire. Which one? It comes out of the box then Y's to one with a black line and one without. Same thing with the ground.

Did you go to the website?

fastblackmerc
08-13-2014, 06:54 AM
It's all here but the bypass. Going to start building the harness. Which orange wire do I use from the fd23b for the dimmer. White or black stripe? Also any con to cutting down the wire lengths? I can't see why it needs to be almost a foot long.

No cons on shortening the wires although I usually leave them and tuck them into some convolute tube after soldering and heat shrinking them.

Use a test light to determine which orange wire is instrument panel function. The test light should dim when rotating the dimmer wheel.

fastblackmerc
08-13-2014, 06:55 AM

I would use the plain white wire.

Grounds should be plain black.

Vortech347
08-13-2014, 08:07 AM

Well that is what's weird. There is 1 white and 1 black wire that come out of the unit. Then they Y. Which one do I use for each one? The instructions don't say worth a damn. I'll call PAC today. Just trying to get the wiring harness/adapter built before I pull the car apart. I'm still waiting on the bypass too. Hopefully that gets here tomorrow.

I've got a big weekend at the track so I won't be able to tackle the full install until next week.

fastblackmerc
08-13-2014, 10:18 AM
Well that is what's weird. There is 1 white and 1 black wire that come out of the unit. Then they Y. Which one do I use for each one? The instructions don't say worth a damn. I'll call PAC today. Just trying to get the wiring harness/adapter built before I pull the car apart. I'm still waiting on the bypass too. Hopefully that gets here tomorrow.

I've got a big weekend at the track so I won't be able to tackle the full install until next week.

If they "Y" then you can use either one, because they both go back to the same source.

2,4shofast
08-13-2014, 10:37 AM
Not sure if you are going to the vehicle specific application on their website or not? Their customer service rocks if you cannot figure it out from the website, the directions that are printed are garbage. Programming the controller is the worst part, good luck and call me if you need a hand!

ctrlraven
08-13-2014, 11:33 AM

These are the instructions I followed.
http://www.pac-audio.com/swi/SWIAppGuide.aspx?appguideid=18 9&swiModel=Marauder&swiYear=2004&swiMake=Mercury&swiProduct=SWI-PS&swiRadioManu=Pioneer&swiOptions=

Vortech347
08-13-2014, 12:08 PM
If they "Y" then you can use either one, because they both go back to the same source.

Each one has a small resistor/diode in it. I'm calling them right now.

Anyone know for sure on the dimmer wire?

Vortech347
08-13-2014, 12:29 PM
Okay, the two white wires one has a resistor for a Toyota application. He said not to use that one. The Ground has two wires because some cars you need two points. He said I just need one.

fastblackmerc
08-13-2014, 02:50 PM
Each one has a small resistor/diode in it. I'm calling them right now.

Anyone know for sure on the dimmer wire?

Pin# 3 Light Blue w/ Red tracer

Vortech347
08-17-2014, 10:27 PM
Its in. Sounds awesome.

App mode is stupid. The map it comes with doesn't have a way to input an address? Just shows where you are.

I've found it more useful if I don't use app mode and just use my phone for navigation still. For the quick point to point changes I do nothing beats using Siri. I should have gotten the next available deck the 2600, apparently its more compatible with siri.

fastblackmerc
08-18-2014, 09:49 AM
Its in. Sounds awesome.

App mode is stupid. The map it comes with doesn't have a way to input an address? Just shows where you are.

I've found it more useful if I don't use app mode and just use my phone for navigation still. For the quick point to point changes I do nothing beats using Siri. I should have gotten the next available deck the 2600, apparently its more compatible with siri.

Congrats.......

Vortech347
08-18-2014, 01:05 PM
So I noticed the steering wheel volumn up and down stop working when the headlights/parking lights are on. I saw someone else had this problem but I can't find it with a search.