PDA

View Full Version : Mini-Marauderville #2 (5/15/04) at New England Dragway at Epping, NH

John F. Russo
04-15-2004, 09:12 AM
Since my Mini-Marauderville #1 on 4/10/04 never happened due to a number of circumnstances (bachelor party, etc.).

Let's congratulate Marauder S/C in his new "stage" of life- marriage. Next time he 'll be "staging" in Epping! I hope that his marriage will last longer than mine of 40 years.

BillyGman will be sporting his newly supercharged MM. We'll go at it- Kenny Brown vs. his own creation. There is no contest-I'll probably lose! He is the fastest driver. (Let's check, "Are you still the fastest since that last shoot-out with Martyo, BillyGman?").

Last posting (except for date)
On 5/15/04 (Saturday) I, BillyGman and two other Triology owners (Both from Massachusetts) are going to the New England Dragway (603-679-8001; www.newenglanddragway.com; opens at 8AM weather permitting) in Epping NH for test and tune drag runs. BillyGman is going to test drive my car.

It will be a full day of racing. This will be followed with a dinner at a fine restaurant for BillGman as I had promised him when I had invited him to the dragstrip. Only BillGman will get a free meal plus my brother. My bother rides a souped-up Harley Davidson. I would like to get him on the track at 20 mph and higher.

If my business was going well I would have paid for all, assuming there weren 't more than a dozen people.

Anyone else is welcome to join us.

Since my home (32 Granger Ave, Reading MA) is located at the intersection of Rte 93 and Rte 95 (Rte 128), we could all meet there or we can meet at the Dragway.

It will be a MM caravan with a little fun on the way up.

Drop me an email and we can discuss or call me at my cell 781-389-6879.

In any group event, some will say they can come and later can't make it and vice versa. Whoever comes comes, otherwise they 'll have to wait for another time.

______________________________ ___________________
2003 Dark Blue Pearl 300B (Canadian) w/Light Flint (reversed
traction control, mini spare, trunked 6 disc CD changer,
clock-in-the-radio, heated front seats/mirrors, hood light)
-Born 12/10/02; converted new then used 2/28/03
-16,000 miles
-18.5 mpg at a steady speed of 80 mph
-Stock transmission (upgraded with Performance Automatic
clutches and band after stock tranny failed in 8,800 miles)
-Wheel locks (Ford)
-Badgeless front grille by “Zack”
-Zaino waxing; RainX
Kenny Brown: 6th “Signature Series” conversion (450 hp) Born
3/28/03 (first drove it)
-Vortech supercharger (5 to 9 psig boost)
-377 RWTQ
-4.10 gears
-Baer front brakes 14 in., two piston, vented rotors
-MMX Driveshaft
-Precision, triple disc, P/N469018-3 Precision, triple disc, P/N469018-3
-Ford Racing Stud and Girdle
-Pirelli P-Zero Asimmetrico (front 255/45ZR18 99Y; rear
255/50ZR18 102Y)
-Dead pedal
-FordChip
-3/4 of a coil from each front stock spring removed to produce
the “same” effect as an Eibach spring
-Ground clearance: 5 in.
______________________________ ___________________________
1961 Ford Galaxie, 2 dr. Club Victoria, 390CID, 375hp, 4 barrel (gone)

Haggis
04-15-2004, 09:22 AM
First off Congratulations to Marauder S/C on his marriage. Good luck and may your marriage be filled with happiness and blessed from above.

Second, John what # is you Kenny Brown?

BillyGman
04-15-2004, 11:21 AM
John, I don't want to jump the gun here. As I've explained to you in a PM, I'm hoping to make it to that track on the date that you had suggested, but it's rather difficult for me to go setting a track/MM meeting date w/anyone that is written in stone at this present time. I will NOT know for sure until the end of April. For me to tell you or anyone else anything other than that would be unrealistic.

After all, I haven't even got my car completely together yet. Yes, the supercharger itself is bolted on, and it looks great. But I'm not even finished yet w/the complete installation of the entire S/Cer kit. I still have to install all the coolant lines/hoses, and intercooler radiator, as well as mount and wire the electric intercooler waterpump.

Yes, I expect to be finished within the next 24-48 hours, and yes, I expect everything to be fine. But because my car is sitting in the garage, and not even running yet, it's difficult for me to give you or anyone my word that I'll be seeing you at the track in May. I hope to make it there, but I cannot tell you for certain that I will be there probably until the opening days of the month of May.

There are still things that I need to do AFTER I get the entire S/Cer kit installed on the car and BEFORE I go to any track with it. For instance, I still will have to get the car to the Dyno, and have a air/fuel ratio check done on it to be certain that it isn't leaning out at WOT. I don't know how long you've had your Kenny brown car John, but anyone who has a Supercharged car should get atleast an air/fuel ratio check done at WOT on the Dyno to ensure the absence of a lean condition because of the possibility of melting pistons. And if my car is running lean, then I'll have to wait for Lidio who is out in Michigan to burn another chip for me and send it out to me. And if it turns out that way, then I'll have to get another Dyno test done to confirm the corrections that he has made.

And in the middle of all that, I also have to find time to send the rear mags to him for the rim widening service, and wait for the turn around time. That will be from 10 days to 2 weeks. And ofcourse when I get the widened rims back, I then will need to purchase a set of the drag radials and have them mounted, since it would be a total waste of time for anyone to race a S/Ced Marauder on street tires on the track. The car will just not hook-up coming off the line w/street rubber. Especially if you have a roots type S/Cer since they make tremndous amounts of Low-end torque. Furthermore I don't even know how my S/Ced car will behave w/the high 3000 RPM stall speed that I'm running on my Torque converter. So there's an outside chance that I'll have to drop the transmission to the lower the present the stall speed.

So yes, there's a good possibility that I'll be all squared away w/these things by mid May, but I simply cannot say for sure. The fact of the matter is that I've never even been in a S/Ced car before, let alone drive one. Furthermore my Marauder as of this weekend will be the only S/Ced Marauder around w/Headers, a 3000 RPM speed stall converter,and 4.56 gears. So I don't know if this will be a good combo or not. If I don't like the way the car is behaving on the street, then I have no intention of bringing it out of my homestate to race it on the track until I get everything right.

I thought that I atleast made clear the issue of the need for me to have the rims widened to you in the PM I sent you two days ago.

So to wrap all of this up, to anyone who is interested, yes, I hope to be at the track that John has mentioned on the date specified, but I cannot tell anyone for certain about this, until the end of this month. There are just too many unanswered questions about my car right now. Questions that in NO way can be answered atleast until I get the car running. Which hasn't even happened yet. I'll be happy to update everyone on this in this thread during the next week or two. So if you all want to plan this get together that John has mentioned, great. I say, go for it, since this doesn't have to revolve around me, nor what happens w/my car. But I just want to make it clear to everyone that all of this is tentative, and is very much up in the air for ME.

MN6
04-15-2004, 12:40 PM
John, It looks like I will be right next door to NED (At Star Speedway) on that Saturday. If things look like they are gelling up, I can sneak over for an hour or so to visit with you guys. I know NED ran on Wed and Fri nights last year, if they do the same this year we should try to get together a couple of times this spring and fall.

MARAUDER S/C
04-15-2004, 03:41 PM
[QUOTE=John F. Russo]Since my Mini-Marauderville #1 on 4/10/04 never happened due to a number of circumnstances (bachelor party, etc.).

Let's congratulate Marauder S/C in his new "stage" of life- marriage. Next time he 'll be "staging" in Epping! I hope that his marriage will last longer than mine of 40 years. [QUOTE]

Thanks John, but I'm sorry to say I won't be able to make this event either. We will be on our honeymoon on 5/15. :(
Also, congratulations to you John on your 40 years. Hopefully we will live long enough to be married for 40 years! :P

MARAUDER S/C
04-15-2004, 03:44 PM
First off Congratulations to Marauder S/C on his marriage. Good luck and may your marriage be filled with happiness and blessed from above.

Second, John what # is you Kenny Brown?

Thanks Haggis, also I believe in John's sig it reads he has KB #6

John F. Russo
04-16-2004, 01:17 PM
We'll just wait and see if we have enough people to make it an event; if not, we'll just reschedule. I can say with 100% assurance that there will be an event someday.

BillyGman
Thank you for the explanation. You've got a lot of work to do and an aggressive plan of action. I hope that it all works out for you. Keep us posted.

I'm glad to see the North East regional board is getting some action.

MARAUDER S/C
04-16-2004, 01:54 PM
:burnout: :burnout: :banana2:

BillyGman
04-20-2004, 01:18 AM
To anyone who's interested, my car is running great. I've been putting it to the test pretty hard on the open road, and on the highway late at night when there's no traffic. As far as racing it though, I simply have to get the drag radials first. I accomplished a 0-60MPH time of 4.7 seconds today on the street tires using the G-meter device. But I know the car can do better. Witht the street tires on this car now, I basically can forget about first gear. The car just won't hook up(just as I had thought).

It's a good problem to have since it's due to the car putting out more torque. So I'm going to see if I can get the Drag radials.

John F. Russo
04-30-2004, 05:49 PM
To anyone who's interested, my car is running great. I've been putting it to the test pretty hard on the open road, and on the highway late at night when there's no traffic. As far as racing it though, I simply have to get the drag radials first. I accomplished a 0-60MPH time of 4.7 seconds today on the street tires using the G-meter device. But I know the car can do better. Witht the street tires on this car now, I basically can forget about first gear. The car just won't hook up(just as I had thought).

It's a good problem to have since it's due to the car putting out more torque. So I'm going to see if I can get the Drag radials.

Have you widened your rims yet?

I'm having trouble getting the 9 psig boost that I use to get occasionally. I now get 7 psig and can just about break the grip on the road.

My tires never burned for the distance that you mention with your Eaton supercharger even when my car was new. Maybe it is because I use Pirelli P Zero tires.

I have to do some repetitive runs in a safe place on the highway to see if it is repeatable or a fluke. At 40 mph or higher it is a repeatable 5 psig. What is yours at 40 mph?

BillyGman
05-01-2004, 08:49 PM
The roots type S/Cer (which is what the Eaton is) is different than the centrifugal type that you have. As soon as I hammer the gas pedal down, I get 10 PSI of boost immediately. I don't have to wait for it to build-up like you do. But that can cause severe traction problems in first gear while using standard street radial tires. Like I said, it's a good problem to have since it's because of the great low-end torque. So at 40 MPH? I crack it open and the boost pressure is up to 10 PSI before I can even get the pedal to the floor!!!

I bought new rims so that I can still use the street stock tires if i ever want to in the future (drag radials, as well as Pirelli P-Zeros are very expensive, and they both wear out pretty fast due to the rubber being of a soft compound, which is why they provide better traction). Lidio has the new rims, and has already sent them out to be widened. I'm waiting for him to get them back, so that he can send them to me. That should happen some time in the coming week as far as I know.

John F. Russo
05-02-2004, 05:25 PM
The roots type S/Cer (which is what the Eaton is) is different than the centrifugal type that you have. As soon as I hammer the gas pedal down, I get 10 PSI of boost immediately. I don't have to wait for it to build-up like you do. But that can cause severe traction problems in first gear while using standard street radial tires. Like I said, it's a good problem to have since it's because of the great low-end torque. So at 40 MPH? I crack it open and the boost pressure is up to 10 PSI before I can even get the pedal to the floor!!!

I bought new rims so that I can still use the street stock tires if i ever want to in the future (drag radials, as well as Pirelli P-Zeros are very expensive, and they both wear out pretty fast due to the rubber being of a soft compound, which is why they provide better traction). Lidio has the new rims, and has already sent them out to be widened. I'm waiting for him to get them back, so that he can send them to me. That should happen some time in the coming week as far as I know.

You're right that it takes a few seconds for the boost to get to its maximum at low speeds. I think it goes to 5 psig sooner at higher speeds.

The most I can get for boost after 40 mph is 5 psig. Are you saying that you can get 10 psig at any speed?

Are there any disadvantages of the Eaton supercharger?

BillyGman
05-02-2004, 05:44 PM
you can get 10 psig at any speed?

Are there any disadvantages of the Eaton supercharger?

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. You hit the gas pedal, and you get 10 PSI immediately regardless of how fast the car is traveling, or what gear you're in. I see NO disadvantages at all to the Eaton S/cer just as long as it's purchased in a kit which includes an intercooler, which is exactly what the Trilogy S/Cer kit includes. it is my understanding that roots type S/Cers can build-up more heat than the centrifugal designs do IF you do NOT run an intercooler w/them.

John F. Russo
05-14-2004, 03:14 AM
Tomorrow is day the Mini-Marauderville at the New England Dragway in NH.

Who is going?

If it is me only, I would rather reschedule again.

If anyone is interested, call me at my cell at 781-389-6879 or respond to this forum.

BillyGman
05-14-2004, 03:57 AM
John, I have to sit this one out. I DID hope to be there, however, when I got home from work yesterday, I noticed that someone had broken into my condo since the back door was ripped apart. I found out it was the Police department, because my water heater had busted, and it was gushing water out of it at a rapid rate. So they had to break in to shut the main off.

needless to say there was water all over the place downstairs, and I still have a lot of cleaning up to do as well as getting the door and the water heater replaced. So racing is out this week for me.

John F. Russo
05-14-2004, 04:53 AM
John, I have to sit this one out. I DID hope to be there, however, when I got home from work yesterday, I noticed that someone had broken into my condo since the back door was ripped apart. I found out it was the Police department, because my water heater had busted, and it was gushing water out of it at a rapid rate. So they had to break in to shut the main off.

needless to say there was water all over the place downstairs, and I still have a lot of cleaning up to do as well as getting the door and the water heater replaced. So racing is out this week for me.

I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune.

I'll see who else responds to my message above before I decide if I'm going or not tomorrow.

I rather go up as a group of at least a few marauders.

John F. Russo
05-15-2004, 03:40 AM
Like the first Mini-Marauderville #1, Mini-Marauderville #2 is a bust.

Everyone is too busy to go. I decided not to go alone.

Maybe others will suggest another date and then we will take it from there.

BillyGman
05-15-2004, 02:33 PM
John, I'm really soory. As for me, it was all due to totally unexpected occurences, and ones that I had absolutely no control over. I'll let you know what day will be good for me in the future.

John F. Russo
05-17-2004, 05:16 AM
Mini-Marauderville #2 was a bust like Mini-Marauderville #1.

Everyone was too busy.

I didn't want to go alone this time. So I didn't go either.

I'm going the next time regardless.

John F. Russo
05-20-2004, 09:02 AM
Mini-Marauderville #2 was a bust like Mini-Marauderville #1.

Everyone was too busy.

I didn't want to go alone this time. So I didn't go either.

I'm going the next time regardless.

I just noticed that I posted the same message twice. That was a mistake.
I didnt notice the first message was posted already because I was interrupted. So I reposted a simialr message again in error.

Billy
I will wait to see in the next few weeks who wants to go to Epping.

Do you have your widened rims?

I'm interested in getting your opinion about how your car handles at highway speeds and tight cornering with your widened rims.

I need new tires and haven't made a decision yet.

BillyGman
05-20-2004, 11:28 AM
I have the rims and the tires, but I haven't even put them on yet. I plan on getting that done next week, so I'lllet you know.

SergntMac
05-20-2004, 02:18 PM
John, throw some clean undies in a bag and come to Cleveland? If the weather holds, we'll be racing tomorrow night.

John F. Russo
05-21-2004, 01:58 PM
John, throw some clean undies in a bag and come to Cleveland? If the weather holds, we'll be racing tomorrow night.

I appreciate the offer.

But I have a memorial Mass for my mother on Saturday and a day with my grandchildren on Sunday on the ship called the "Bounty".

It will be docked at my home town of Chelsea. This is a replica of the ship that was used by Marlon Brando in his version of "Mutiny on the Bounty".