PDA

View Full Version : Blower motor or resistor?

palafox
07-19-2014, 11:26 AM
A/C worked on the way to breakfast this morning. Didn't work after. Probably the blower motor or resistor, right? Is there any way for a newbie/ auto-repair know-nothing like me to know which before replacing? Either way, I'm determined to do this repair myself, which will be a first for me.

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

RubberCtyRauder
07-19-2014, 11:34 AM
sounds like the BCM (blower control module) here is a link to it. yes, it can be fixed by yourself if you have some tools ad patience. before changing it, turn the a/c on and if it does not work, then open hood and give the bcm a wrap/tap with like a screwdriver and if it works, then it is the BCM.

http://mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=48707

fastblackmerc
07-19-2014, 11:53 AM
Correct, tap on the BCM, if the bower works it's the BCM.

I offer reworked BCM's for a few bucks.

PM me if interested.

palafox
07-19-2014, 02:37 PM
Thanks, guys. One more tidbit before I start working. On my way back home (100-mile drive) this morning I thought I'd give the A/C another shot to see where it was. While at cruising speed (75 mph) I turned on the A/C and did get a little breeze out of it, and it was definitely cold, air-conditioned air coming out. I figured the wind/breeze in the engine compartment was spinning the fan, thus producing a little a/c, if weak. Does that change/solidify your assessments? Irrelevant?

Thanks again.

fastblackmerc
07-19-2014, 04:08 PM
Thanks, guys. One more tidbit before I start working. On my way back home (100-mile drive) this morning I thought I'd give the A/C another shot to see where it was. While at cruising speed (75 mph) I turned on the A/C and did get a little breeze out of it, and it was definitely cold, air-conditioned air coming out. I figured the wind/breeze in the engine compartment was spinning the fan, thus producing a little a/c, if weak. Does that change/solidify your assessments? Irrelevant?

Thanks again.

Tap the BCM.

RF Overlord
07-19-2014, 04:35 PM
^^^what FBM said^^^

Our cars don't have a resistor.

palafox
07-25-2014, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the input, folks. Much obliged. I tapped the BCM -- nothing.

I had intended to attempt the swap out myself but for the life of me I can't get the wiring harness free from the BCM, and don't want to risk breaking it. I am supposed to leave for Tucson tomorrow and the trip between LA and Tucson travels between many blast furnaces and various suburbs of Hell, so traveling out without AC may be the death of me.

As I said up-thread, I do get residual "wind" that, I suppose, turns the fan enough inside to get some cool air, though none obviously at a slow pace or a standstill, since the AC is still producing cold air.

So my question is this: If i do the drive to Tucson (where I will attempt again to fix or take it to a shop if I cannot) with the AC "on," do I risk blowing something out or burning something up by having the AC "on" and using the breeze generated by traveling at 80 MPH force the small but sufficient stream of air in?

I know it sounds desperate, and probably absurd, but it's either go tomorrow or be forced to consider if I can make the trip at all.

fastblackmerc
07-26-2014, 12:53 AM
Thanks for the input, folks. Much obliged. I tapped the BCM -- nothing.

I had intended to attempt the swap out myself but for the life of me I can't get the wiring harness free from the BCM, and don't want to risk breaking it. I am supposed to leave for Tucson tomorrow and the trip between LA and Tucson travels between many blast furnaces and various suburbs of Hell, so traveling out without AC may be the death of me.

As I said up-thread, I do get residual "wind" that, I suppose, turns the fan enough inside to get some cool air, though none obviously at a slow pace or a standstill, since the AC is still producing cold air.

So my question is this: If i do the drive to Tucson (where I will attempt again to fix or take it to a shop if I cannot) with the AC "on," do I risk blowing something out or burning something up by having the AC "on" and using the breeze generated by traveling at 80 MPH force the small but sufficient stream of air in?

I know it sounds desperate, and probably absurd, but it's either go tomorrow or be forced to consider if I can make the trip at all.
You won't cause as by damage.

RF Overlord
07-26-2014, 04:55 AM
If you can't get the connector off the module, then it's probably melted due to the heat generated by the bad solder joint. See if you can pry it off with a long screwdriver or something, but it may possibly break.

As for damaging anything else by driving the car, no you won't.