PDA

View Full Version : Power Window Switch disassembly

mrjones
07-29-2014, 02:30 PM
I've got a couple of buttons on my master switch that are not making good contact and have taken the switch out to clean the contacts. I've got switch assembly separated from the back half of the case with the plug guides on it, but how do I get the switches out to clean the contacts? I see the four tabs that look like they hold the top half to the bottom half of the switch assembly, but even when I have them disengaged it seems like something else is holding it together. I'm trying to be gentle and not tear it up. Do the switch caps pop off first? I know many of you have done this before so I'm looking for your help.

I did search but didn't find any pics of the disassembled switch, even though I thought I'd seen them on here before.

BAD MERC
07-29-2014, 02:36 PM
Easier and better to replace the assembly. The aftermarket has them and it is cheap! http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=4502358&cc=1428218

justbob
07-29-2014, 04:32 PM
Yes the buttons pop straight off. I clean mine every couple of years and it takes all of 10 minutes. Super easy.

You will see black in the contacts that are inop, I just use my dremel and buff them clean, may even tweak the trip assembly/rocker a slight bit for improved contact.

Self proclaimed Builder Of Badassery.

Buy it, Break it, Build it BETTER.
"Since 2004"

whitey
07-29-2014, 06:03 PM
Yes the buttons pop straight off. I clean mine every couple of years and it takes all of 10 minutes. Super easy.

You will see black in the contacts that are inop, I just use my dremel and buff them clean, may even tweak the trip assembly/rocker a slight bit for improved contact.

Self proclaimed Builder Of Badassery.

Buy it, Break it, Build it BETTER.
"Since 2004"

Yep! Why buy new when theyre easy to clean. Ive done mine a few times, i used a file from a leathermans tool. Rubbing alcohol or electronic cleaner should also clean them up. They may be cheap to replace, but why spend your hard earned money on something you can easily fix?