PDA

View Full Version : Drivers window repair help please

MERCULES
07-30-2014, 06:30 AM
Drivers window powers down but the cable appears to jam going up again and will not close.(scratching crunching noise on the upswing)

Parts counter at the Dealership suggested they order a repair kit for me that consists of cabling and housing to be changed.

Any suggestions on how to change or any threads that you know of would be appreciated.(looks like a lot of rivets may need to be drilled?)

Motorhead350
07-30-2014, 07:51 AM
You will need to change the window regulator. Be careful when you remove it from the existing window, I broke mine while trying to drill it out.

There are youtube videos of this. You will need to use a prick punch for the drill rivets. Do not forget to buy new screws, bolts and washers for your new one.

You do NOT need to replace the window motor, simply transfer it to your new regulator. If you are going to a junkyard, make sure the glass is nice and tight on the regulator before you pull. I made the mistake of getting a lose one and had to guide the window up to stay in track upon install until I got another.

Good luck.

fastblackmerc
07-30-2014, 08:04 AM
I'd suggest replace the regulator and motor as an assembly. The entire assembly doesn't cost that mush more than the pieces are separately.

Good video how-to's on youtube.

Instead of drilling out the rivets, punch the center stem out, break off the three ears, then pop the rivet out. Use 1/4 x 20 bolts, washers and nylock nuts in place of the rivets. Do not tighten the regulator to window glass nuts & bolts to tight.

Jeronimojc
07-30-2014, 10:06 AM
I have the regulator and motor assembly. PM me if interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk