PDA

View Full Version : Volts guage reading 1212.5/13 and 14 volts

jwernatl
08-16-2014, 06:51 PM
Hey All, would guys please back me up on this and confirm my thoughts on something - here lately over the past few weeks, out of the corner of my eye I'd see my volt guage just sorta drop a little - then id look down at its sitting on 14. Make me think im seeing little gremlins ya know.

Well, today it all came to light- the clouds parted-

Cruiseing right at 60mph I caught the guage sitting @ 13/13.5. When i got to the house, I came to a complete stop, tuned on the lights, switched on the ac and the radio - the guage dropped to 12 sorta fluctuating as it settled on 12 volts.

Would you say 'without a doubt' I should replace my alternator?

Is there any particular brand? Any advice on removal/replacement? Maybe any tricks or is it pretty straight forward.

Thank you all -yee haw. John

RubberCtyRauder
08-16-2014, 06:55 PM
Check it at the alternator with a voltmeter. The factory gauge is not 100% accurate really. not a true indication that it is your alternator

Zack
08-16-2014, 07:08 PM
Normal. Carry on

ctrlraven
08-16-2014, 08:48 PM
Check it at the alternator with a voltmeter. The factory gauge is not 100% accurate really. not a true indication that it is your alternator
Confirm what your voltage is with a voltmeter at idle with no accessories on, at idle with accessories (headlights, a/c and rear defrost) on and bring rpms up to 2000 with accessories on. Voltage at idle should be 13.7-14.1, idle with acc on 13.1-13.4 and at 2000 rpms 13.4-13.7.

Normal. Carry on
Not exactly normal, it's at least worth checking out. When I bought mine, I had a low charge output on the OEM alternator at 40k miles. Stock voltage gauge would drop down to around 12 with the headlights and a/c on at idle.

jwernatl, do you have underdrive pulleys on the car?

jwernatl
08-16-2014, 09:35 PM
Hmm. Well everything is (pullys included) stock on the car. My neighbor has a volt meter, , I'll grab it tomorrow after lunch.

And I figured that 13 was ok, but, 12 volts made me think.

Another part of the factor is that I'm not very 'savvy' with automotive electronics. A friend and myself are going to take a course on it in the fall. (I'm actually hoping it'll take some stress off of me)

I'll do what you guys say -at least check it out. i like it right. No wondering. Im a firm believer in preventive maintenance.

Id like it perfect when I take it up to Mo's the 410's and tune.

Ill check it out and let you guys know. Thanks for your time and input.
John

CHSurvivor
08-17-2014, 03:16 AM
I just bought mine...same thing and was told my guage is wacky...Nope. tested it with volt meter and running was 12 sometimes 11 volts. Should be 14 or more running.
Got a Ford Alternator from the dealership and installed it...guage now at 14 volts and on the volt meter over 14.
I believe the alternator was slowly dying and would of eventually leaving me stranded.
My opinion...test it....replace it

RF Overlord
08-17-2014, 06:41 AM
As The Birdman mentioned above, the voltage at idle with accessories on will be lower than with everything off and does not necessarily mean anything is wrong. It depends on how much lower.

As also stated, the factory gauge is not a precision instrument, but are you aware the the factory oil pressure gauge is a complete fake?

justbob
08-17-2014, 07:50 AM
I just bought mine...same thing and was told my guage is wacky...Nope. tested it with volt meter and running was 12 sometimes 11 volts. Should be 14 or more running.
Got a Ford Alternator from the dealership and installed it...guage now at 14 volts and on the volt meter over 14.
I believe the alternator was slowly dying and would of eventually leaving me stranded.
My opinion...test it....replace it

Normally correct on 14+ on others but Fords are in the safe zone at 13.5.

Self proclaimed Builder Of Badassery.

Buy it, Break it, Build it BETTER.
"Since 2004"

fastblackmerc
08-17-2014, 07:52 AM
Take it to a FLAPS or Sears and have them check it out. Should cost nothing.

jwernatl
08-19-2014, 06:17 PM
Wait it just hit me -you said- oil pressure guage a complete fake. . Come ' on seriously?ifot to do a search on this.

Im new to my Marauder. And im here to stay. Its the funnest car to drive.

jwernatl
08-19-2014, 06:17 PM
But seriously fake?

justbob
08-19-2014, 06:35 PM
But seriously fake?

Yes. A glorified idiot light. It's either on, or it's off.

"Since 2004"

fastblackmerc
08-20-2014, 04:35 AM
But seriously fake?

Yes. A glorified idiot light. It's either on, or it's off.

"Since 2004"
The OEM gauge is fake. Look at the gauge as you rev the engine, does the gauge move?

Replace it with an aftermarket real gauge.

Replacement Gauges – Autometer (2 1/16)
Oil Pressure – 4327 comes with the sending unit
You will want to replace the Voltmeter also.
Voltmeter – 4391

RF Overlord
08-20-2014, 07:35 AM
-you said- oil pressure guage a complete fake. . Come ' on seriously?Yes, seriously. Notice how it ALWAYS reads exactly the same pressure, no matter whether the engine is hot or cold...and no matter what the RPM? That's because the gauge is driven by a switch that turns on when you have approx. 6 lbs of pressure, causing it to read about 60 lbs.

Ford did this because stupid people don't understand that it's NORMAL for oil pressure to vary with temperature and RPM and would go to the dealer for service thinking their engine was faulty. Now the pressure reads "normal" at all times, so those people feel better.

AutoMeter sells a real working gauge, along with the required sender, that looks very close to the factory gauge. P/N 4327.