PDA

View Full Version : Better sound system?

capt512
09-05-2014, 10:16 AM
Hey Everyone,

So I am looking to help the sound system in the marauder out in the future. I have a Pioneer Z140BT head unit and Pioneer 3 ways installed, however more and more notice how bad the sound actually is.

I recently purchased a used 03 Suburban with Bose factory audio, and the bass and overall power behind that factory system blows the marauder away no questions asked.

So while I'm not looking for window cracking bass, or amped up screaming volume, I would like something that makes the sound closer to the Suburban. Didn't know what you guys might suggest overall?

Thanks

8UWITH6
09-05-2014, 10:28 AM
A nice set of amplified components in the front doors will make you smile. And I am not talking super high end speakers and 1000 watts. Just a nice 200-400 watt 2 channel amp for the front components would be sufficient. Rear speakers take them out or just use them for rear fill. Utilize factory sub if you wish.

You will never have good sound out of a radio by itself they don't have enough power. HTH

fastblackmerc
09-05-2014, 10:49 AM
Infinity Basslink....

jsignorelli
09-05-2014, 11:18 AM
I replaced the crappy factory unit after the third failure with a pioneer Avic-Z130BT. I have total control of the subwoofer and all speakers. It sounds great, especially when I show movies on the system.

ChiTownMaraud3r
09-05-2014, 11:37 AM
I upgraded the speakers to some half way decent pioneers, the head unit to a pioneer D1, and added a single sub (10" alpine Type R) with a hifonics amp which includes a bass knob. Sounds phenomenal but would like to upgrade my fronts to components down the road.

jwibbity
09-05-2014, 11:58 AM
To getter mid-range sound out of any panther car, amplified components will need to be used 5", 6", 6 1/2" 6 3/4". The factory 6x8/5x7 offer fairly decent midbass but no midrange (vocals). Even a cheap component 6x8 will still leave you lacking because of the difference between the size of the 6x8 vs the 3/4" to 1" tweeter

Add some components to the front at least, run a small amp to power them, and swap out the rear speakers for some halfway decent 6x8's, components if you can find them, and add an aftermarket subwoofer whether it be a infinity basslink, 10" Rockford Fostgate, or in my case 2 15" KickerCVX's.

capt512
09-06-2014, 08:10 AM
Ok thanks guys. I was thinking the main difference between the two is the suburban was using front amplified components and the sub works soooo much better. The marauder in comparison is real thin and tinsely (highs sounds good) but no mids, and the sub sounds horrible in comparison. The sub in the marauder after the head unit swap is always maxed out and seems to provide real thin bass. So I guess components, an amp, and basslink are in order.

Mike M
09-06-2014, 09:49 AM
Infinity Basslink....

How much work is involved putting a
Infinity Basslink in?

BAD MERC
09-06-2014, 11:04 AM
I had a basslink in my '06 Taurus for about 38 seconds and HATED it. Now I have a JL Audio 10W0-8 in a .5 cubic foot sealed box and it is incredible. I have Focal components in the front doors. If you use a 4 channel amp, amplify the front speakers and the sub by bridging channels 3 and 4. Use deck power for rear speakers. The system in my Marauder would cost you $11,000 to replicate so I won't get stupid and encourage that alternative.

capt512
09-06-2014, 11:18 AM
What didn't you like about the basslink?

BAD MERC
09-06-2014, 11:29 AM
IMHO it seems to make loud midbass, not accurately though. It's plastic with a passive radiator and an underwhelming amplifier. In my application trying different locations in the trunk and loading it in to the corner for maximum impact I never got the feeling of a bass guitar string or the intense concussion of rapid kick drum. Don Henley and Korn seemed to lack a lot of accuracy. I am critical though. My enclosure is made with cabinet-grade high density "Trupan". I am sure it's sufficient for average listeners but if you're critical there's alternatives. My front doors were treated with Dynamat and the inside of the enclosure was painted with latex to keep the material from 'breathing'. It was also bolted to the floorpan to stabilize it and prevent coloration of the sub system. Been doing it 24 years so I exploit all the tricks for maximum performance and sound accuracy.

Billboard
09-07-2014, 12:16 PM
What size speakers will fit in the doors? I don't mind cutting the doors a little.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fastblackmerc
09-08-2014, 11:06 AM
How much work is involved putting a
Infinity Basslink in?

Very easy.

Get power and ground from the old sub, will need to run cables from the headunit.

ChiTownMaraud3r
09-08-2014, 11:36 AM
What size speakers will fit in the doors? I don't mind cutting the doors a little.

I believe they are 5x7s. Mine fit fine with some spacer washers to bring them away from the glass and had to drill new holes for them to bolt up. Easy peasy.

justbob
09-08-2014, 02:37 PM

I seem to recall 6X8 front and back.

Self proclaimed Builder Of Badassery.

Buy it, Break it, Build it BETTER.
"Since 2004"

slickster
09-08-2014, 02:40 PM
+1 on JL. i got one 10w6 in the JL recomended size box 400watt amp and its more then enough

justbob
09-08-2014, 02:41 PM
Somebody have a link on a mid level set of front components that fit? Stereo stupid and struggled the last time I added everything in my sig, but might try this as it's still not quite right.

All four of my speakers I believe are hooked up to my pioneer 320 amp (?? Can't even remember..)

Self proclaimed Builder Of Badassery.

Buy it, Break it, Build it BETTER.
"Since 2004"

emott
09-30-2014, 09:56 AM
did anybody here tried converting rear-deck speakers to 6x9? i found this speaker adapter Xscorpion SP-AD6957 from 5x7 to 6x9 and want to use it to install 6x9 in the rear deck but affraid it will stick out too much and will not fit under the rear reck lead. any thoughts/opinions please? thanks!

fastblackmerc
09-30-2014, 10:19 AM
did anybody here tried converting rear-deck speakers to 6x9? i found this speaker adapter Xscorpion SP-AD6957 from 5x7 to 6x9 and want to use it to install 6x9 in the rear deck but affraid it will stick out too much and will not fit under the rear reck lead. any thoughts/opinions please? thanks!

You'll need to do some sheet metal work to get them to fit....

emott
09-30-2014, 10:30 AM
Hmm. that's gonna hurt...

thanks for the tip.