PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer Vibrations

jwibbity
10-06-2014, 07:10 PM
It may be a stupid question but is there anything in the rear of the car I should check more often when running subwoofers in the trunk??

I have 2 Kicker CVX 15's in a 6+ ft^3 box facing the rear of the vehicle. They are being powered by a Hifonics BRZ2000.1D amplifier. The entire trunk and lid have been sound deadened with 100mil deadener. The only reason I'm asking is because when at MO's back in August, they told me the rear control arms were really loose. They tightened them back up and everything is fine, but Was just wondering if the subs could have caused this or am I overreacting? My wife has confirmed that the bass from the car can be felt from over two blocks away.

Are the torques specs for most components in the rear high enough to not have to worry about the vibrations or should I be checking them??

Thanks guys for entertaining this, but it IS a serious question so please keep your loud music comments, :bs: and other personal opinions to yourself. I am well aware of local laws and have payed my fair share of sound ordnance tickets, THANKS!!!! :beer:

8UWITH6
10-06-2014, 09:37 PM
I am currently designing my next enclosure to port through the rear deck in the factory hole so no bad comments from me! I love loud music and moving some air. Your fine. If it makes you feel better you can tighten your gas tank straps, taillight bolts, and trunk hinges if it makes you feel better. :beer: Keep bangin.

Trevor M
10-06-2014, 10:49 PM
I also have a slight vibration problem, I cut my factory sub box and put a 6.5 JL sub and it sounds waaaaay crisper and much more bass is put out. My only problem is that its seems like my rear deck panel rattles alot and make a very annoying plasticy rattle....any solutions?

Pat
10-07-2014, 02:25 AM
I mounted by subs in the trunk facing forward, they are old Kicker truck boxes.
I kept them because they fit perfectly side by side with no mounting hardware required. I had the audio shop fabricate a "shoe" to angle them back so they don't pitch forward. A three hundred watt amp powers them and they sound great without annoying vibration of car pieces.

My control arms failed around the 100K mark but the mounting bolts were still tight, seems to be old age.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/21/Dsc01406.jpg

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/medium/DSC05673.JPG

Pat
10-07-2014, 02:37 AM
I love loud music and moving some air. Your fine. If it makes you feel better you can tighten your gas tank straps, taillight bolts, and trunk hinges if it makes you feel better. :beer: Keep bangin.

I just had to tighten my selt belt, kept bouncing out.

fastblackmerc
10-07-2014, 04:15 AM
I also have a slight vibration problem, I cut my factory sub box and put a 6.5 JL sub and it sounds waaaaay crisper and much more bass is put out. My only problem is that its seems like my rear deck panel rattles alot and make a very annoying plasticy rattle....any solutions?

Try putting some Dash Mat or similar material on the package shelf under the cover.

jwibbity
10-07-2014, 05:42 AM
I am currently designing my next enclosure to port through the rear deck in the factory hole so no bad comments from me! I love loud music and moving some air. Your fine. If it makes you feel better you can tighten your gas tank straps, taillight bolts, and trunk hinges if it makes you feel better. :beer: Keep bangin.
Yea I honestly do think I'm over reacting but I have seen how vibrations on the F/A18 can loosen bolts with torques in the 200+ftlb range, obviously the car isn't vibrating as much as a jet but still certain frequencies if played long and loud enough can loosen hardware.

I'm pretty sure you have watched those bass competitions and the guys leave with less parts than they pulled up with, but obviously I'm no where close to those power levels

fastblackmerc
10-07-2014, 06:09 AM

Check the license plate. Since it's only secured at the top it can vibrate.

jwibbity
10-07-2014, 06:26 AM

The rattle your are hearing if from the hard carpeted material vibarting against the sheet metal of the rear deck. I used sound deadener then put closed cell foam on top, and eliminated most of the noise, but you could probably get away with just the foam since your not pushing crazy air. :beer:

MERCMAN
10-07-2014, 06:38 AM
I mounted by subs in the trunk facing forward, they are old Kicker truck boxes.
I kept them because they fit perfectly side by side with no mounting hardware required. I had the audio shop fabricate a "shoe" to angle them back so they don't pitch forward. A three hundred watt amp powers them and they sound great without annoying vibration of car pieces.

My control arms failed around the 100K mark but the mounting bolts were still tight, seems to be old age.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/21/Dsc01406.jpg

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/medium/DSC05673.JPG

Pat, Please tell me that you were not using stock control arms on that beautiful Silverback! If so, I am afraid we will have to come to blows next time we meet :)

2,4shofast
10-07-2014, 06:55 AM
If you put any sound deadener in the back tray make sure to do both top and bottom of the panel. Also you will get noise out of the 3rd brake light, I have foam around the bezel that faces the glass and all the contact points rest on dynamat. I have been able to completely eliminate every rattle in my car, it has taken up so much time be the clarity is worth it.

Pat
10-07-2014, 07:45 AM
Pat, Please tell me that you were not using stock control arms on that beautiful Silverback! If so, I am afraid we will have to come to blows next time we meet :)

No, the new arms are from a vendor here, Sparta.

MERCMAN
10-07-2014, 07:48 AM
No, the new arms are from a vendor here, Sparta.

But the ones that wore out were the OEM'S? How did you put any power to the ground with those?

Pat
10-07-2014, 11:02 AM
But the ones that wore out were the OEM'S? How did you put any power to the ground with those?

Yes they are the OEM's. Didn't really do any power pulls, just tooled around town, but they did make a lot of noise.

jwibbity
09-14-2015, 04:47 PM
just an update on the subs and issues resulting from them.

1. Rear deck speakers mounting tabs are broken. Two on the passenger side and all 4 on the drivers side.

2. Rear fascia mounting bolts were loosened enough that i could turn them by hand.

3. Rear talight mounting nuts were backed off with about 3-4 threads left on each

I am currently in the process of lock tighting all mounting for the tailights and rear fascia, replacing the rear deck speakers with a set of spares I have along with adding washers to help disperse the vibrations.

The cost of being a basshead I guess
:beer::beer:

2,4shofast
09-15-2015, 06:48 AM
Been there lol. You might want to think about porting into the cab either by going between the seat back where the arm rest is for the rear seat or port from the back dash where the stock woofer was. Just some thoughts, theses trunks are sealed pretty well and with your set up you would get better results with more air movement.:beer:

8UWITH6
09-15-2015, 12:21 PM
Jordan. The speaker mounts being broken is impressive! . Just remove them completely or get some deadener on the top side of the rear deck.

Oh, and here is my new setup finally. Will more than likely add a third 8" and port through the rear deck.

2,4shofast
09-15-2015, 02:22 PM
Good looking set up, I really need to redo my setup but other projects first.

jwibbity
09-15-2015, 04:26 PM
The only thing about porting into the rear deck is that my box needs to be at least 6^ft at a minimum and would require my whole trunk to get it to be set up correctly.

I could cut out the spot in the rear deck cover, where the factory sub was, to relieve the pressure from the trunk but I would have to cover it with something so it doesn't look like crap

jwibbity
09-15-2015, 04:37 PM
Jordan. The speaker mounts being broken is impressive! . Just remove them completely or get some deadener on the top side of the rear deck.

Oh, and here is my new setup finally. Will more than likely add a third 8" and port through the rear deck.

I thought about removing the rear deck speakers and moving them to the rear doors but I actually like the "rear fill" effect the give our big cars.

The wife's sonata has 4 sets of components in all four doors but the interior of that car is alot smaller then ours.

justbob
09-15-2015, 05:44 PM
It's age and torque! Here's my Metcos before I swapped in new bushings. She was LOOSE!

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/15/8fe6f0e9ad60f55ed5f29068f13242 54.jpg

Builder Of Badassery

2,4shofast
09-15-2015, 08:01 PM
The only thing about porting into the rear deck is that my box needs to be at least 6^ft at a minimum and would require my whole trunk to get it to be set up correctly.

I could cut out the spot in the rear deck cover, where the factory sub was, to relieve the pressure from the trunk but I would have to cover it with something so it doesn't look like crap

I wouldn't run a direct port from the box into the cab. I think a port where the rear arm rest is would work well and it's easily covered when it is stowed. You would for sure get more spl to the front windshield.