PDA

View Full Version : Uh-oh...my first window tint ticket!

MikesMerc
04-20-2004, 06:26 PM
Well that didn't take long:( LOL...less than 1 week after my tint job I was nailed by a Lathrup Village LEO today. I was hoping for a warning, but no go.

I can get a waiver if I remove the tint, but I really don't wanna do that. Instaed, I'm going to be visiting my optometrist and get a script for the tint. I've always struggled with the brightness (even on cloudy days) over the years, and now that I have my tint I really notice how much less I need to squint. Yeah, that's kind of just an excuse, but that's the route I'm gonna take.

Of course, any other suggestions are welcome. I just can't think of any. Around the Detroit area, these MM just attract too much LEO attention.

Hopefully, even though I get the script for tint tomorrow, I am hoping a kind and compassionate LEO will sign my ticket and allow a waiver.

But hey, at least it wasn't a speeding ticket:)

merc406
04-20-2004, 06:31 PM
You could tell them your cars "blind" and it need the shades to look a little better. :rock: :pimp:

Smokie
04-20-2004, 06:31 PM
Of course, any other suggestions are welcome. I just can't think of any. :)
If you are prone to skin cancer you can get a waiver.

DetGeno
04-20-2004, 07:04 PM
Geez Mike I think I know someone that works for Lathrup Village PD, Oh ya ME! PM me! :nono:

bigslim
04-20-2004, 07:18 PM
Sorry about this. When I got mine last year the cop did not show at court. I have a note now saying that I have to have them. Sunday,I got pulled over again by a State Cop but the letter saved my a$$. I was told to go to the Secretary of State and have it put on my license. Here in this city MM's are used for drug dealers. That is why we get pulled over. On second thought, how did you pay for that supercharger, MMMMMMMM???? Maybe I should watch the company I keep.

MarauderMark
04-20-2004, 07:42 PM
You could tell them your cars "blind" :

Attach a blind mans walking stick to the front of the car..Problem solved :baaa:

That was the only reason he pulled you over?

PhkinQk
04-20-2004, 08:12 PM
Well that didn't take long:( LOL...less than 1 week after my tint job I was nailed by a Lathrup Village LEO today. I was hoping for a warning, but no go.

I can get a waiver if I remove the tint, but I really don't wanna do that. Instaed, I'm going to be visiting my optometrist and get a script for the tint. I've always struggled with the brightness (even on cloudy days) over the years, and now that I have my tint I really notice how much less I need to squint. Yeah, that's kind of just an excuse, but that's the route I'm gonna take.

Of course, any other suggestions are welcome. I just can't think of any. Around the Detroit area, these MM just attract too much LEO attention.

Hopefully, even though I get the script for tint tomorrow, I am hoping a kind and compassionate LEO will sign my ticket and allow a waiver.

But hey, at least it wasn't a speeding ticket:)

Am I missing something here, SO what, pay the ticket, lol. I've got 10% limo tint on mine for a year, if I got a ticket, I'd just pay it.

bigslim
04-20-2004, 11:19 PM
The problem with paying it is first of all it is a $100 fine. Second, the next time it goes up and they can also impound the car for defective equipment. Also, they can add points to your record with the defective equipment ticket. I did not believe this so I check some local ordinances and this is true. Law varies from community to community.

MikesMerc
04-21-2004, 04:49 AM
Geez Mike I think I know someone that works for Lathrup Village PD, Oh ya ME! PM me! :nono:

You have a PM :help:

Here in this city MM's are used for drug dealers. That is why we get pulled over. On second thought, how did you pay for that supercharger, MMMMMMMM???? Maybe I should watch the company I keep.

Yeah, LOL, maybe its time for me to find another line of work;)

Am I missing something here, SO what, pay the ticket, lol. I've got 10% limo tint on mine for a year, if I got a ticket, I'd just pay it.

Yes...you're missing something. bigslim explained it pretty well. Seeing I've had my tint on for less than one week, and I was nailed on the usual route that I commute to work every day, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that I'd either be paying monumental fees at best, or have my car impounded at worst. What works for you where you live doesn't hold true for others I'm afraid.

merc406
04-21-2004, 05:59 AM
Whoever did the job should have known better than to do the 2 frt side windows the same tint as the others, take it back and have him do it over in right stuff. Let him pay the ticket.

PhkinQk
04-21-2004, 06:07 AM
Yes...you're missing something. bigslim explained it pretty well. Seeing I've had my tint on for less than one week, and I was nailed on the usual route that I commute to work every day, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that I'd either be paying monumental fees at best, or have my car impounded at worst. What works for you where you live doesn't hold true for others I'm afraid.

True, I am not a rocket scientist, but try rolling your windows down when you pass him in the future, lol. :lol:

woaface
04-21-2004, 06:15 AM
I keep reading this like how I'm going to get away with it when I get tints soon. But I figure, I'm getting the legal 27%.

I have no excuses, I have the best eyes in the family and a decent pair of sunglasses work well when I'm out.

But the rolling down the windows? If I ever get pulled over at night, I've heard it makes a cop real nervous to walk up on a car when he can't see in more than half of. I'm rolling down my back window too!:lol: Last thing I want is a cop who may very well ask me to step out of the vehicle or become aggitated for any reason.

SergntMac
04-21-2004, 08:02 AM
When you get stopped after dark, turn on your interior lights. It will give the cop a hint that maybe you're on his side?

bigslim
04-21-2004, 08:25 AM
Woaface, here the law is "NO" tint on the front two windows. If our law stated 27% here I would have complied with it. Larry, when you purchase the tint 99% of the places that install it will tell you of the law. The guy that installed mine had just gotten a ticket the day before mine went in.

MERCMAN
04-21-2004, 08:34 AM
Just out of curiosity, will they pull over and ticket an out of state car for the tint? I don't know how those kind of laws work, but it would be nice to know. If they do ticket you for tint, what recourse does one have?

stevengerard
04-21-2004, 08:47 AM
Just out of curiosity, will they pull over and ticket an out of state car for the tint? I don't know how those kind of laws work, but it would be nice to know. If they do ticket you for tint, what recourse does one have?

I've been told here in Illinois they can. We have a no front window tint law as well. The LEO's I know say just to put a lighter version on the fron windows - as long as they can see you that's all they care about. Our guys say they never give tickets for it - just make people take it off only if they are jerks. All the tinting places I have spoken to have told me the laws, but they will do it anyway if you request it. Wonder if MM's are drug dealers cars here in Chicago - I don't see any and I'm near the west side.

MikesMerc
04-21-2004, 08:53 AM
Woaface, here the law is "NO" tint on the front two windows. If our law stated 27% here I would have complied with it.

Me too.

The zero tint thing is a bit strict, but I know it saves lives. It's hard to say what's best here.

Either way, I'm not belly aching. If anything I was kind of surprised that I was pulled over for the tint by a local LOE. Local LOE is usually pretty good about this kind of thing as long as they can see in. In fact, the amount of vehicles I see every day that have a darker tint than I have on the front windows left me the impression that the tint law wasn't aggressively enforced. I sort of felt like "how the hell did he pick ME out of the crowd :confused:

Anyway, I knew my tint was not legal, so its my own fault. No tears here...just surprised that I was nailed only after 6 days while I see countless others around me get away with limo tint in front. Like bigslim said, I think it has much to do with the reputation of the car in our area.

ParkRanger
04-21-2004, 09:02 AM
When you get stopped after dark, turn on your interior lights. It will give the cop a hint that maybe you're on his side?

Absolutely right Mac! Put on the interior light and keep both hands on top of the steering wheel and the LEO will appreciate the cooperation and better the chance to only get a warning.

My $.02 = I think the MM looks better with the original tint - highlights the natural lines of the car, darker tint squares the body. That's my oipinion - I could be wrong. :cool4:

PR :burnout:

SergntMac
04-21-2004, 09:47 AM
If MI law says no tint, I've been very fortunate this past year in my many trips to Detroit.

IL law is flawed, it calls for no obstruction to view, but doesn't allow use of a light meter to determine degree of obstruction. It's strictly the officer's opinion.

I haven't been stopped for tint, but I have been questioned by a CPD Inspector (IAD), and the discussion ended when he could count the loose change I placed on the front seat.

PhkinQk
04-21-2004, 09:56 AM

I'd take what SergntMac is saying right to the bank. First point, them feeling safe is important to a good exchange. Most likely you are being stopped cause you did something wrong, but that doesn't mean you'll get a ticket.....put yourself in their place.

I go a tad further in NY. I roll all my windows down, I have almost limo tint on them all, turn on the interior light and leave my hands high on the wheel. I've found doing that, here in NY the first question is........"you have family on the job, right, who?"

Which I do, but the cop asking is always a better segway then me bumbling through the list of family and freinds on the job, lol.

DetGeno
04-21-2004, 10:35 AM
With out of state plates, your tint will not be bothered! :cool4: