PDA

View Full Version : Header Break In Period?

BruteForce
04-20-2004, 08:23 PM
Just got the MM back yesterday after installation of Kooks headers & 18" Maggies. I am noticing a slight smell in the cabin when sitting at traffic lights. It isn't like burning rubber or exhaust but more like burned light machine oil. Is this something to be concerned about or is it just "breaking in" of the pipes & such?

I just want to check with others before doing a Chicken Little at the service department.

I am diggin' the new purr (and WOT roar) of the new system. :burnout:

Zack
04-20-2004, 08:28 PM
The smell is normal from oily hands touching the exhaust and the cats and pipes heating up for the first couple of times.
The best way to break them in is to beat the holy piss out of the car, thats what I did.
Make sure you listen for pinging both at WOT and Part throttle runs.
Doesnt hurt to be on the safe side.

BruteForce
04-20-2004, 09:55 PM
Thanks Zack! I was thinking that was the case. Just wanted to verify my diagnosis.

BillyGman
04-20-2004, 11:05 PM
Yeah, I agree w/Zack on that. BTW, didn't you get the Magnaflow Hi-flow cats too? I don't see it listed in your scroll down thing.

BillyGman
04-25-2004, 12:16 AM
Yeah, I agree w/Zack on that. BTW, didn't you get the Magnaflow Hi-flow cats too? I don't see it listed in your scroll down thing.

aaaahhh, I see the hi-flow cats included now.......

BruteForce
04-25-2004, 07:23 AM
I added them to list after you mentioned it. :P

BTW, no more burning smell. :banana2:

Blue03
04-25-2004, 09:28 AM
I had a peek at DirtyDogs Kooks system at XXX a few weeks back and they looked and sounded great! I'm sure yours do too! If you did not do the install yourself would you mind posting or PMing who did and some of the particulars like time down, cost, etc.? I assume you're pleased with how it went at this point! Thanks

BruteForce
04-25-2004, 10:47 AM
I had my dealer, Harbour Pointe LM, install the headers & pipes. They sub'd out the welding to some one man outfit. That was the part that delayed the overall install time. Dealer was done with their part in less than a day. It took 2 days to get in for welding (they tried for 3, but I applied a little pressure to get it finished that day :argue: ). Took it in early on a Friday. Had it back the following Monday about 5PM. Dealer provided a free rental car so it wasn't too bad other than having to drive a gutless Volvo for 2 days. If the welder had been able to do it the same day, then I would have had it back by Friday close of biz. Time down estimate: 1 day barring unforeseen delays. Cost was relatively high since it was through the dealer. About $600 w/tax.

I am extremely pleased with the result. Its is almost as quiet as stock at idle, but give it some gas and it lets you know. :burnout:

Next up is to find a competent dyno tune outfit in the area. I've been advised to seek out the local Mustang crowd to get some referrals. Just haven't had the time.

BillyGman
04-25-2004, 11:50 AM
I'm one of the several guys on this board who's performed the installation of the Kooks headers and complete exhaust package themselves. The Kooks system is now a complete bolt-on kit. If you get the complete kit like I did which includes the 18" straight-thru design Magnaflow mufflers, there's no welding to be done to install it. I didn't need any welding done at all, but the only potential weld that you'll need is to connect the back end of the passenger side muffler to the tailpipe because of the difficult bend on that side. But even if you run into that, the entire Kooks package can be installed first, and then you would simply need to drive the car to the local muffler shop to get that one weld performed. No big deal or expense.

Like most long tube headers, the Kooks headers were challenging to install. But it's "do-able" if you have tools, motivation, and some patience. Count on 2 or 3 days to get the entire exhaust system including the headers completed. If you get it all done in one day then I'd consider you superman. but it was well worth it for me. Remember one thing, Kooks is the only place that makes standard conventional headers for the Marauder, Kooks does NOTHING else but exhaust(that's their specialty and has been for years), and Kooks is a well known and well respected header manufacture throughout the entire country in racing circles. Kooks mandrel bends their own pipes, they have all the equipment right there.

I talked to a guy I know from California(I'm from Connecticut) and this guy races a 9 second car. As soon as I mentioned Kooks to ask him about them and their product, he immediately recommended them and indicated that they're well known in his circle of racing and abroad. That alone impressed me.

If you decide to perform the installation yourself, send me a PM, and I'll go into more detail about what has to be done.

Blue03
04-25-2004, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the info!

studio460
05-04-2004, 02:24 AM
Cost was relatively high since it was through the dealer. About $600 w/tax.

BruteForce:

Congrats on the successful Kooks install!

Hmmm . . . $600 for a Kooks install actually sounds CHEAP! Maybe we all tend to get *****, here, in California, especially by "performance" shops. I think my muffler shop is planning to charge me $600 for an easy install like the SVO shorties I was thinking of getting. Can you tell me how many dealer labor hours were charged so I can get a handle on these cost estimates? I would love to put the Kooks in, but I was settling for the SVO shorties, expecting a lower install cost. But I was quoted $600 for the SVOs!

By the way, I was planning to go with 2.5" pipe all the way from the outlet of the X-pipe, to 2.5" Flowmaster 40 series "Original Flows" (the loudest muffler they make--louder=gooder, IMO), to 2.5"-inlet/3.5"-outlet SLP tips. Is the Kooks set-up already 2.5" from the X-pipe to the mufflers? Thanks for any info on this . . .

BillyGman
05-04-2004, 02:57 AM
The Kooks set-up is not only a 2.5" diameter from the X-pipe to the mufflers, but it's also a 2.5' diameter from the header collectors to the cats, and from the cats to the X-pipe. In other words, the entire sytem is a full 2.5" diameter from the header collectors to the mufflers. And you won't get much louder mufflers nor better sounding ones than the 18" magnaflow mufflers that are included w/the complete kooks set-up. I looked at them closely before I installed them and you can see right through them. they consist of a perforated pipe(but w/out louvers or flaps) that goes through the center of them that has packing wrapped around which is stuffed in the cases.

darebren
05-04-2004, 05:38 AM
I am having mine installed today! by a great mustang shop here in Cinti. They have an awsome $200,000 cobra NHRA car in their shop, it does 6.5 1/4 amazing car. plus they have alot of old mustangs, and stuff, it is like one of those shops in the TV show RIDES or something. I hope they do a good job for me. I can't wait till today is over.. :banana2:

BruteForce
05-04-2004, 07:16 AM
Can you tell me how many dealer labor hours were charged so I can get a handle on these cost estimates?

It was a flat rate of $495 (no hours listed on invoice). I believe that was based on their prior experinece with installing the Sean Heyland (sp?) setup on another MM. Afterwards, the service manager & tech commented that the Kook's system was easier to install and was far superior in fit/finish. Anyway it ended up being $660 after the welding and tax, etc.

BillyGman
05-04-2004, 10:29 AM
Just keep in mind that the system that Kooks sells now only needs welding to attach the back ends of the mufflers to the fronts of the tailpipes IF you get their complete set-up. And infact I was able to perform the installation w/out any welds at all(with my brother's help. It's just a but tricky for the passenger side muffler-to-tailpipe connection because of the abrupt bend in the tailpipe).

CRUZTAKER
05-04-2004, 03:39 PM
Isn't great!!!?

This mod is by far the biggest hp increase I have done to date. A very excellent kit, well designed, and easily installed. Expensive? Yes. But you get what you pay for, and you sure get alot with this setup.

I paid $450 for the install.

BillyGman
05-04-2004, 06:07 PM
I agree. The Kooks complete exhaust system is one of the best mods for the Marauder there are.