PDA

View Full Version : Magnaflow Cats only lasted 5000 miles...

TooManyFords
04-21-2004, 11:07 AM
Over the last couple weeks, I could swear I had a heat shield rattling under the car... Put it up on my lift and everything was tight and happy. The rattle persisted and got steadily worse. Knowing it was nothing loose, I took the car to my exhaust pro friend and he nailed it.

The cat biscuit in the middle has come totally loose in the one, and parts are free in the other. (sigh)

I have less than 5K miles since putting them on, and this is definitely not a good sign. I've got to call Nick over at Kooks to see what kind of warranty there is on these.

Just FYI.

John

martyo
04-21-2004, 11:10 AM
Jogn: Did you run any race gas through your car?

merc406
04-21-2004, 11:11 AM
And here I thought Mario sold a good product line.

TooManyFords
04-21-2004, 11:23 AM
Talk about absolute STELLAR service! I just got done talking to Nick at Kooks and they are going to warranty them. And to quote, " These are the first cats that have had to have anything done".

My guess is that it just came loose and was probably a factory defect.

Anyway, I have never been more happy that I dealt with Nick directly in the past and chose these headers and cats.

In other words, I wouldn't worry about yours if you have them.

John

TooManyFords
04-21-2004, 11:25 AM
Marty, no race gas. My car doesn't ping on the 93 at the pump so I've always felt that race gas is just a waste of money.

Like I said, I'm betting on just a bad pair from the factory. Only one is completely loose inside, the other has bits of stuff from the lining in it.

John

Logan
04-21-2004, 11:42 AM
I was gonna say, I've used Magnaflow cats on a number of cars and put a ton of mileage on them... Magnaflow stands before their stuff, they've no problem warranting anything that might be a defect.

Constable
04-21-2004, 03:45 PM
Hmmm... My Dynomax cats only lasted 4,000 miles on my MM. They came loose and eventually disintegrated. I just switched to the Magnaflows on Saturday morning. I hope these will last a bit longer... especially with my heavy foot.

Bigdogjim
04-21-2004, 05:43 PM
Always good to read a happy ending:)