PDA

View Full Version : Moisture coming from left exhaust

dflynn5
04-21-2004, 07:11 PM
I've noticed some moisture from my left pipe when I pull in after driving home. No rain so this is coming from the pipe. It is not a lot ( an egg cup full ) but I'm surprised there is any given that the run is about 40 mins. Just under 4000 miles on the clock and there is no steam coming from the exhaust nor is there any rough idle.

Any ideas? I have not pushed the car yet given the low miles so I would be horrified if it was a blown gasket.

TripleTransAm
04-21-2004, 07:20 PM
One of the byproducts of the combustion process going on in the internal combustion engine is water vapor. It's normal (why more from your left exhaust, dunno...).

hitchhiker
04-21-2004, 07:33 PM
One of the byproducts of the combustion process going on in the internal combustion engine is water vapor. It's normal (why more from your left exhaust, dunno...).

Could this have anything to do with the left (driver's side) head problems posted on other threads?

Thomas C Potter
04-21-2004, 07:38 PM
After 40 mins I would expect no noticeable moisture though. Have you look at the left bank spark plugs, I believe that a speckled look would indicate a leak in head gasket. Also, doing an exhaust gas analysis above a removed rad cap / overflow tank cap would show a bad head gasket.

Constable
04-21-2004, 10:13 PM
These cars, as well as the CV's, produece large amounts of H2O. The cats turn the exhaust gases into less harmful things... one being water. Ever leave your MM idling for more than 20 minutes?? I'm confident you'll hear a "bubbling" type sound coming from the muffler area. Thats 'cause they're filling up with moisture... a good snap of the throttle will blow out a good cup of water from the tailpipes. Unless the moisture smells like antifreeze, I wouldn't worry at all.

Fourth Horseman
04-21-2004, 10:29 PM
Don't know if it's related, but my passenger side exhaust tip always gets more carbon on the end than the drivers side. Not massive amounts, or anything that worries me, but definitely more build up than the other. *shrug*

Bigdogjim
04-21-2004, 10:34 PM
your engine is using 7 gallons of air for every gallon of gas.

Just keep you eye on it.

After 4,000 time to open it up?

Many people on this site have proven that these engines like "hard" driving:)

I have 14,000 on the clock:)

I have jumped on it quite a bite:):):)

Love that cobra! :banana2:

Directedby
04-21-2004, 10:37 PM
my 2004 mm also drips water...it is normal, unless it is anti-freeze.

Constable
04-21-2004, 10:53 PM
After 4,000 time to open it up? Many people on this site have proven that these engines like "hard" driving.

I pulled out of the dealership roasting rubber and manually grabbing 2nd gear when the car had 7 miles on it... I've experienced ZERO problems from abuse, and only one issue from craftsmanship. These motors are capable of taking a giant beating...

Bigdogjim
04-21-2004, 11:44 PM
Now some how I beleive you as having first hand watch you exit a parking lot :lol:

Sideway....................... .............................!

jstevens
04-22-2004, 03:07 AM
I pulled out of the dealership roasting rubber and manually grabbing 2nd gear when the car had 7 miles on it... I've experienced ZERO problems from abuse, and only one issue from craftsmanship. These motors are capable of taking a giant beating...

Boy, do I feel better. I roasted mine out of the dealer lot as well. 8 miles on the odometer. Come to think of it, she felt quicker than now but maybe its my imagination.
Like others here have said, drive it like you plan to.

RF Overlord
04-22-2004, 04:32 AM
^^^what Directedby, Constable, and TripleTransAm said^^^ It's normal...

I've noticed that even when the Bunny Lady gets home from a 50-mile trip, both pipes drip a small amount of water after shut-down: some comes out the end, and some from the little drain hole a couple of inches inboard. Leaves four small spots on the driveway...

Flynnie: maybe your car isn't always parked level, so that's why you only see it on one side? Or maybe one of your pipes is hung slightly lower?

...ah huh-huh-huh...I said hung...ah huh-huh

THE_INTERCEPTOR
04-22-2004, 07:01 AM
dripping tail pipes means a healthy engine. :)

Fourth Horseman
04-22-2004, 10:20 AM
Also, these are relatively high compression engines, so they're probably squeezing a bit more water out of the air. :)

PhkinQk
04-22-2004, 11:22 AM
Mine leakes pints from the tailpipe, lol.

Dr Caleb
04-22-2004, 11:57 AM
Flynnie: maybe your car isn't always parked level, so that's why you only see it on one side? Or maybe one of your pipes is hung slightly lower?

Or lots of right turns on the way home? :)

heh heheheh He said hung.

chrish
04-22-2004, 07:11 PM
my car is perfect and has NO problems what so ever :beatnik: :beatnik: :beatnik: