PDA

View Full Version : LCM Issues

sking
11-13-2014, 10:21 AM
I was having headlight issues and in researching it I was pleasantly surprised to learn of the extended warranty on the LCM. I took the car in to the dealer and they replaced the LCM at no charge. Now I’m having different issues.

The automatic headlight on feature does not work. However if I turn the car off and leave the key in the ignition the chime sounds as if the headlights are on.

Headlights seem to work properly when in the manual mode.

Sometimes both fog lamps come on and sometimes only one comes on, its random which one drivers side or passenger side.

Is the new LCM defective or does the LCM need to be programmed and the dealer failed to do that step?

tbone
11-13-2014, 10:55 AM
Defective.

fastblackmerc
11-13-2014, 11:03 AM
I was having headlight issues and in researching it I was pleasantly surprised to learn of the extended warranty on the LCM. I took the car in to the dealer and they replaced the LCM at no charge. Now I’m having different issues.

The automatic headlight on feature does not work. However if I turn the car off and leave the key in the ignition the chime sounds as if the headlights are on.

Headlights seem to work properly when in the manual mode.

Sometimes both fog lamps come on and sometimes only one comes on, its random which one drivers side or passenger side.

Is the new LCM defective or does the LCM need to be programmed and the dealer failed to do that step?

There is no way to program or reprogram the LCM. It's all done when it is manufactured.

Did they actually replace the LCM or install the "Dorman" fix?

Four possibilities as I see it:

New LCM is defective
They installed the "Dorman" fix and it's defective
The connectors aren't seated
They installed the wrong P/N LCM

I could have repaired your old one.... lifetime guaranty / warranty.

fastblackmerc
11-13-2014, 11:11 AM
For those of yo wondering what the "Dorman" fix is....

Here it is
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u133/fastblackmerc/LCM/DormanFix_zps6234a52c.jpg (http://s167.photobucket.com/user/fastblackmerc/media/LCM/DormanFix_zps6234a52c.jpg.html )

This just an interface module that fits in between the LCM and the connectors. Might be a quick fix to keep you on the road but I'd never use one.

If you haven't had problems with your LCM, it will happen usually at the most inopportune time.... at night in the rain or snow.

I can repair your original one or send a repaired one for you to swap out.

fastblackmerc
11-13-2014, 11:12 AM
OP if you can look at the LCM (right side of steering column just above the OBDII port. Tell me what you see.

sking
11-13-2014, 12:12 PM
I was surprised when they said they had one in stock. It is my understanding they are in short supply and need to be ordered so maybe they put one that was "close enough". I'll check it out tonight.

fastblackmerc
11-13-2014, 01:49 PM
I was surprised when they said they had one in stock. It is my understanding they are in short supply and need to be ordered so maybe they put one that was "close enough". I'll check it out tonight.

I bet the "close enough" didn't have all the right "bells and whistles". I'd be making a return trip.

tbone
11-13-2014, 01:53 PM
I got the very first one in my area. :D I never procrastinate when it comes to the Marauder.

MERCULES
11-13-2014, 02:30 PM
I waited 8 weeks for mine and it was installed about 3 weeks ago, now they are out again, waiting for a new batch to be produced so I doubt they had one in stock.

RF Overlord
11-14-2014, 06:53 AM
Turn the foglights on with the main light switch. Pull the fog lamp cutoff relay (called "Fog FTP relay" in the owner's manual). Position 209 in the BJB. Use a small jumper to put 12V to pin 4. If the fogs come on, then you do have an issue with the LCM; note, however, the lamps are wired in parallel to the same splice point, so if only one is out, then that is NOT an LCM issue.

Also be sure fuse F2.18 in the CJB is good. It provide the power to the fog lights.

sking
11-14-2014, 08:07 AM
You guys are good. It looks like they installed a Dorman replacement LCM (see picture) which seems to have screwed up the electrical system. Here are the symptoms after it was installed:

Auto Headlamp on does not work.
Headlamps turn on when the switch is in the Parking Light position.
Headlamps operate normally when the switch is in the Headlamp position.
Alarm does not work.
Rear defrost does not work.

Could the last two possibly be related? I know the alarm worked before they installed the LCM replacement but this morning was the first time I used the rear defrost since last winter so I don’t know. I did have a minor fender bender (which I had repaired) six months ago so that may be the cause of the fog lamp issue. As always this forum is a wealth of knowledge.

fastblackmerc
11-14-2014, 09:42 AM
You guys are good. It looks like they installed a Dorman replacement LCM (see picture) which seems to have screwed up the electrical system. Here are the symptoms after it was installed:

Auto Headlamp on does not work.
Headlamps turn on when the switch is in the Parking Light position.
Headlamps operate normally when the switch is in the Headlamp position.
Alarm does not work.
Rear defrost does not work.

Could the last two possibly be related? I know the alarm worked before they installed the LCM replacement but this morning was the first time I used the rear defrost since last winter so I don’t know. I did have a minor fender bender (which I had repaired) six months ago so that may be the cause of the fog lamp issue. As always this forum is a wealth of knowledge.

The "Dorman fix" is not a replacement LCM, it's in addition to the original LCM. I believe that is where some of your problem(s) are.

The problems I think are related to the "Dorman fix" are the all the headlight issues.

The rear defrost could be a loose connector at the switch, blown fuse or bad relay.

Foglights could be loose connectors or corrosion in the ground wires (most likely since it affects one or the other light). Another remote possibility could be the relay (#207 in the power distribution box behind the battery).

Alarm - is it factory installed or aftermarket? Probably a loose connection from the attempt to fix the LCM issue. Most aftermarket alarms are installed with crimp connectors which are prone to corrosion and poor contact.

sking
11-14-2014, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the info I’ll be calling the dealership today. It’s the factory alarm. When you arm the system the headlights flash and the horn chirps and when you disarm the system the headlights come on if it is dark. So there is some kind of relationship between the alarm and the LCM. As for the rear defrost I’m guessing they knocked something loose or blew a fuse.

Once again thanks, when dealing with the service department its always best to be armed with knowledge.

bugsyc
12-10-2015, 03:19 PM
Turn the foglights on with the main light switch. Pull the fog lamp cutoff relay (called "Fog FTP relay" in the owner's manual). Position 209 in the BJB. Use a small jumper to put 12V to pin 4. If the fogs come on, then you do have an issue with the LCM; note, however, the lamps are wired in parallel to the same splice point, so if only one is out, then that is NOT an LCM issue.

Also be sure fuse F2.18 in the CJB is good. It provide the power to the fog lights.
Dumb question....If I pull the the 209 relay,how do I put a jumper to pin4..????