PDA

View Full Version : New BWD wiper switch question ??

jlangmaid
11-27-2014, 01:47 PM
Picked up a BWD S14349 wiper switch for my son's car. Everything matches up except for one connection-no instructions in box but there is an extra plug. Anyone have any idea how I replace the old plug with the new (pictured)?

Thanks

larryo340
11-27-2014, 06:38 PM
Some cars will need to have that connector replaced on the wiper switch due to production runs. If yours does need to be replaced you have to repin the connector...in other words remove the terminals one by one from your old connector and install them in that new connector in the same order.

Then again you may get lucky and not have to do anything just plug-and-play :)

jlangmaid
11-27-2014, 08:26 PM
Thanks for the information.

Looks like it's re-pinning then, darn it. The plug (both the old and new) are black plastic with an additional red plastic piece. The red piece snaps on and off the new plug easily, but won't budge on the old plug. If I pull the red piece off the old plug, I assume the pins will come out, correct? Never hit something like this before, usually the part is plug and play.

larryo340
11-28-2014, 07:06 PM
Once the red lock is off the connector it will allow you access to the terminal pins, but the terminals are also locked in with a tab that's part of each terminal itself. You can use a very sharp dental type pick to pull the lock tab down, and pull the terminal out the back of the connector. You will need a good set of eyes to do it...they're very small.

jmsa540
11-29-2014, 09:45 PM
Refer to this thread, this may help :)

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=77687&highlight=multi

jmsa540
11-29-2014, 09:45 PM
Hopefully I don't run into the same problem that you have when I replace my switch.

jlangmaid
12-07-2014, 05:22 PM
Finally got a chance to get back and look at it again. Spent an hour messing with the dental pick and got one of the detents to let go and slide out. Decided to go the BFH route for the rest of them, wrote down the order of the wires, got a pair of slip joint pliers and gently applied pressure on the old plug until it cracked in two along the casting joint. Took the now free terminal pins and put into the new plug-total time of about a minute :beer:
Will have to look at the wiper motor and mounted relay next-lights, washer, signal still work great, but no wiper operation. Already looked at the fuse and relays under the hood before tackling the switch.

jmsa540
12-08-2014, 10:31 PM
Did you have to remove your ignition switch or did you just put it in with it still attached?