PDA

View Full Version : Who has done the JL 6W3V3 swap into their factory enclosure?

SIZEMOREMK
12-02-2014, 04:28 PM
I am about to revamp my sound system and intend to follow about the same recipe I used in my previous Crown Vic, but this time I'm considering adding a JL 6W3V3 in the factory enclosure. (My vic had no factory sub).

Assume classic rock/metal, I don't listen to enough country or hip-hop to count in the decision...

I had some 5x7 infinities in the front doors, JBL 6x9s in the rear deck and a box of 2 10s in the trunk. All but the sub was on the pioneer head units built in high pass filter.

Fronts were on head unit power (this time will probably get run to a separate amp); rears and subs were on their own amps.

I was pretty satisfied with this setup, but could have used just a tad more punch at times.

I wondering about following the same recipe, but adding a JL 6W3V3 in the factory enclosure ran to a separate amp?

Does anyone think there would be a noticeable gain in the "midbass" ? I am not an audiophile, but I believe what I'm looking for is a little more punch from some of the drum and bass guitar.

Note that I said I was using the HPF on the 6x9s, so I wonder if the answer may be to go with the HPF on the front 5x7s and leave the HPF off of the 6x9s?

I'd really like to hear from someone who has used the JL 6W3V3 I the factory enclosure with an aftermarket amp...

Fastbob
12-02-2014, 06:48 PM
I have ordered a 6 1/2" Tang Band subwoofer from partsexpress.com. It should be here in a couple of days. It is about half the price of the JL Audio speaker, but has similar specifications. I will install when the speaker arrives and report back here.

Bob

Jeronimojc
12-02-2014, 09:31 PM
From an old post:

I've done a few things in the last few days:
Installed a Pioneer head unit (avh-p3400bh) with steering wheel controls and parking break bypass.
Installed a JL Audio 6W3V3-4 Subwoofer (6-1/2" - 4ohm). I had to modify the OEM subwoofer box with a heat-gun. Pretty easy actually.
:burnout:

Subwoofer quality was much improved, but a far cry from a subwoofer with an aftermarket amp. I still have the stock amp.

If you end up adding an aftermarket amp, I'd love to see what you do.

Prior to installing this I read a few threads. Here is one that looks familiar.
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=68036

You have to cut the 'X' at the bottom of the box. There is an area in the box (next to the spare tire) that won't allow the larger subwoofer to fit. I used a heat gun to push the wall of the box out. Others have done different things to make the speaker fit. I can take a pic if you need me to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fastblackmerc
12-03-2014, 05:31 AM
Take a look at an Infinity Basslink.

SIZEMOREMK
12-03-2014, 05:12 PM
Take a look at an Infinity Basslink.

My dad had one in his truck and I was impressed with it.

I tried one in my crown vic but was highly disappointed with it in the trunk, it ended up in my wife's F150 and was great in there.

JBeezy
12-03-2014, 08:13 PM
I didn't get much from replacing the factory sub. I have removed it completely. I run my front and rear speakers on its own amp and my subs on a separate amp. This way I tune my front and rear speakers for mid bass with the woofer turned off. Then I tune the sub. Sounds great. Just don't like the bulky box in the trunk

Esilar
05-24-2015, 05:35 AM
I've done the swap with the JL 6W3V3 2 years ago. I did the conversion to keep the OEM look.
The JL 6W3V3 in the factory enclosure with factory amp is noticable better than the original one but far from an aftermarket sub like the Infinity Basslink.

As with audio always, it depends on your taste and music style. For me the result is sufficient, i don't like it too present. I'm not a fan of any kind of rap... :shake:

MyBlackBeasts
05-31-2015, 08:32 PM
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=81384