PDA

View Full Version : Review TCE Brake kits - would not recommend

Lowndex
01-27-2015, 11:21 AM
As it turns out, TCE sells Wilwood performance brakes parts but NOT the rotors. After multiple pairs of warped rotors, I failed to get a product from TCE that would stand up to street driving.

In frustration, I called Wilwood and learned Wilwood does not make a standard part for 2003-2004 Mercury Marauder - the rotors used by TCE are not Wilwood!

If TCE was unable to recommend a rotor that would not warp every few months (3-4). As such, I do not recommend TCE brake kits.

Todd TCE
01-29-2015, 08:03 AM
We're terribly sorry the product does not meet your expectations. Every effort is made to ensure that all TCE kits give our customers the best 'bang for the buck' and will provide years of trouble free service. With hundreds, if not a couple thousand, custom kits in service around the world from street, to strip, to track to the show circuit our products have proven the test of time.

Our custom rotors serve many folks very well for years and thousands of trouble free miles. They are custom made in the USA to our own specs including fit, finish and balance. (to be clear they have never been labeled a Wilwood item) As the supplier only we have no way to control the end user environment and how the products are used. Outside factors beyond our control contribute to the life many products, rotors included.

We wish you the best in your continuing search for satisfaction.

Lowndex
01-29-2015, 09:56 AM
I notice you offered no solution to rotors warping every few months. The standard, "our custom rotors serve many folks,..." does not address the primary concern raised. My position stands.

Todd TCE
01-29-2015, 03:16 PM
Baking pads to the rotors is the root cause of pad transfer and "warpage" of rotors.

Installing new and trued rotors (or refinishing old) is only as good as the material build up again causes the issue. If a rotor is truly warped it will be so at the point of being installed, in which case this would be a defect.

Longer life is easily attainable on this kit, all kits, and even oe applications by practicing proper braking technique and allowing ample cooling of the rotor while still hot enough to create pad transfer. On cars with automatic transmissions this becomes increasingly difficult as the two ideal ways are to either select N and take ones foot off the brake, or to simply creep the car some after the heat cycle.

Selecting N is very easy on a floor shift model. Not so much on a column car. For that reason the creeping is far more important and effective. (and of course on a hill etc)

From my personal experiences 130K on original pads and rotor on a Titan truck (city as well as race car towing) and having taught my wife we no longer replaced pads and rotors on an Explored after years of changes every 8mo or so. By by problems and hello no dirty hands I was quite pleased with what she'd learned.

You are 100% correct in that neither I nor Wilwood can supply you a rotor that is not subject to this. In the TCE case moving to a larger 14" rotor would help reduce heat saturation found on the 13" kit but I don't feel it would be a worthwhile investment to do so. As they say; time to move on.

As you explore new and alternate options please keep the above education in mind as it may help prevent yet more negative reviews for someone else. And extend brake life.

Lowndex
01-30-2015, 12:31 PM
Todd,

I appreciate your professional response. Unless I am on a hill, I place the car in neutral at stop lights. I mostly drive around town, so the brakes are not being subjected to extreme braking conditions. It is my opinion, the 13" kit should not be sold for a 4400 lb Marauder.

I count on the expertise of vendors to recommend best fit products. I wish you had recommended the 14" kit from day one. I might have saved much $ and aggravation with rotors not last 6 months.

Lowndex
04-06-2015, 12:49 PM
I spoke with Wilwood and they told me the weight of the Marauder far-and-away exceeds the heat transfer capabilities of the TCE FNSL6R kits. Thus, Wilwood did not have a rotor to recommend for use FNSL6R based kits. Wilwood said anyone with basic brake design knowledge would understand the flaw with such a design. I was encouraged to examine cars of similar weight to understand the rotor, pad and caliper combination (kit) required for safe braking (not performance).

Wilwood encouraged me to seek an alternative solution even if it meant hiring a brake expert to source the parts for me - compliment to Zach who has done just that. As I am unwilling to increase my 18" wheel size, I am seriously considering hiring Zach to source my next brake kits. I have not been able to get TCE to own their design flaw and create kits that could replace the current 13 and 14" models. Instead, they tell me driving habits are to blame. Right!

I never expected Todd to admit anything from a legal stance; just design a proper replacement that works for the Marauder. The Aero kit will not fit Marauder stock 17 wheels nor my 18" ones. So, here I and many more like me sit blocked. Not a good customer experience.