PDA

View Full Version : Starting car after storage

tdotcv
03-13-2015, 06:43 AM
Car has been stored for months because of the winter. Today its back on the road snow is almost all gone. Any suggestions on starting the car like letting it idle for a few minutes or just cranking and going? Anything you guys do?

martyo
03-13-2015, 06:47 AM
Fresh gas!

fastblackmerc
03-13-2015, 06:54 AM
Fresh gas, start it and go.

RF Overlord
03-13-2015, 08:02 AM
In the spring, I've always held my foot to the floor to keep it from starting, and cranked it for 10 seconds a couple of times to build oil pressure. People I respect have told me to just frikken start it already, so I'm-a try that this year.

Unfortunately still way too much snow here, so it won't be until April most likely.

MENINBLK
03-13-2015, 01:29 PM
With our sealed fuel tanks, your gas should not be a problem provided you FILLED the tank prior to storing it for the winter.
Filling the tank reduces the area available for condensation
so no water vapors can condensate inside the tank.

If you did not fill the tank, then you should do so on the very first ride.
A large bottle of Techron won't hurt either.

I usually start my Marauder the day before its coming out and let it idle
for 30 minutes to charge the battery a little and to get the oil circulated
both inside the engine and the transmission.

The following day its start and run !!! :burn:

2mercs
03-13-2015, 01:30 PM
Got mine out yesterday. Turned the key a couple times to get the fuel pressure up started it and backed it out of the garage.

jwibbity
03-13-2015, 01:58 PM
There are at least 5 of these same threads every year at the same time:violin:

MERCULES
03-13-2015, 02:31 PM
As soon as the snow melts below the eaves trough I will go and have a peek at sleeping beauty, of course another foot of snow is forecast for Sunday so that may be a while.

Should be on the road by mid to late April. :mad2:

clmrt
03-14-2015, 07:34 AM
I always inspect every inch of the car - mostly looking for rodent damage. Check all fluids.

I drive it slowly through the neighborhood, exercising the brakes, listening, smelling for things.

Then I drive it for 50-100 miles, change the oil, check the tranny and radiator overflow, and then schedule a detail.

CoreyM75
03-14-2015, 12:58 PM
I started mine up every 30 days or so and let it get up to operating temperature. By this morning when I drove it for the first time I had used 1/4 of a tank over the winter. I filled the tank and drove it to work this afternoon.

tbone
03-14-2015, 03:36 PM
I cycle the key a few times to prime the pump/fuel system if the car has been sitting for a while. Let it warm up a little and go.

WPG_Merc
03-14-2015, 05:13 PM
Fresh gas, start it and go.
:agree:I did the same but with new rear tires.
Getting the MM ready for Louisville,KY. :banana:

lji372
03-14-2015, 05:18 PM
I start it, check the mirrors and carefully squeeze her out of the garage.
Ahhhh.......just took it in this year, admiring the car all over again......