PDA

View Full Version : "laps for charity"

blue92
04-28-2004, 02:08 PM
May 8th at TMS. Ever wondered what it's like or just wondered what your Marauder could do on a super high banked speedway? Well this is your chance to find out.

Last Sept. the cost was $25. for 3 laps. They put 14 cars on the track at a time with a pace car on each end of the pack. If you can get your group on the track at the lead of the pack you can run faster laps with your group. I went out with the Lincoln LS club and we did just that, we ended up averaging over 100mph for our 3 laps. Believe me it's a lot more fun than you'd think. Man was it a blast.

:bounce: :bounce:

BUCKWHEAT
04-28-2004, 05:47 PM
Don, you come up with the good stuff! Do we need helmets? Can we take passengers?

blue92
04-28-2004, 05:58 PM
Don, you come up with the good stuff! Do we need helmets? Can we take passengers?

No helmets needed and yes you can have passengers. When I went out with the LS guys one of them took his whole family, there were like 4 people in his car.

:bounce:

cruzer
04-28-2004, 07:53 PM
Been there, didn't get to do that :lol: Unless you are with a club with a full roster, you have to run with the troops--the pace car keeps you at about 80mph--it is still a blast to feel the effect of the steep banking--with the MM, you are counter-steering on the high bank until about 90mph---another perk is, you can get your picture taken with your car in the "Winner's Circle" for a contribution--makes a nice conversation piece.
I believe that this is in the evening--so we can make the AER show and then go to TMS---all the money goes to Raceway Charities who do great work and all the money stays right in the area. Think we could get enough MMs together before Sat. to get a group run???? :rock: ---will try to find out how to do it tomorrow morning--put it on the forum as soon as I get it. Post intentions as soon as possible--we don't have much time :banana2: :help:
looks like the weather is going to be iffy---but we can make all the plans anyway. Maury

blue92
04-29-2004, 11:02 AM
I believe that this is in the evening--so we can make the AER show and then go to TMS---all the money goes to Raceway Charities who do great work and all the money stays right in the area. Think we could get enough MMs together before Sat. to get a group run???? :rock: Maury

The AER show is on May 1st (this weekend) "laps for charity" is on May 8th (next weekend).

When I went out with the LS club they tried to spit us up (there were only 6 of us) so we asked the guy directing traffic onto the track to let us all go on together, so they put us at the start of the next pack, and they put a pace truck between us and the rest of the group we were in. I guess that's why we were able to go as fast as we did.

If your one of those that thinks driving around a big oval is boring your way wrong. You don't have to take your foot off the gas to go around the entire track, and the banking doesn't look very steep on the TV but it's completely different when your actually on the track and it seems to be 5 lanes wide out there. Trust me if you havn't ever been on this track the driving experience will change your opionion of NASCAR drivers completely. At 100mph the grand stands seem to just blow by you, and the G forces just make you feel like your sucked into your seat. It's a total blast.

:bounce: :bounce:

cruzer
04-29-2004, 01:58 PM
Well, I did it again--got things messed up---blue, you are exctly right, I messed up the dates--it's even better for us to go after the LSCC show on the 8th. I talked to a very gracious young lady from the charity and here is the right scoop:
Saturday, May 8th from 6 PM -10 PM
Texas Motor Speedway--South Tunnel---gate 8
3 laps for $25---pictures in Victory Lane extra
Clubs with 10 or more cars can run together-- the larger the group, the better.
It is up to the Raceway Marshal as to the max speed allowed--I believe the fact all our cars are less than 2 years old, have all performance equipment and tires and we don't have any irresponsible people in the group should favorably influence the Marshal--we will have to see---it is up to him :banana2:
The earlier we get there, the better chance we have to get group treatment--they will allow us to have a marshalling area wehre we can meet and get organized. I will try to have stick-on logos for all cars at AER and the LSCC shows. The lady whom I spoke with will be the welcoming person for the event and is expecting us to arrive in force--don't let her down.
I really agree with blue92, it is quite different to do 100 mph on straight and level compard to 100 mph on a banked oval--I don't think you will be disappointed.
Please post your decision so others may plan accordingly.
Let's do it in a big way :rock: :rock: :rock: Maury :up:

OH YES--you may have as many passengers as you have seat belts--sorry , no one 6 yrs or younger may ride

jfclancy
04-30-2004, 10:22 AM
[Hey there are quite a few large parking areas we could meet and then go in as a group, would like to make it unsure what my schedule will be that far in advance. :banana2: :banana2: :banana: :beer: :beer:

Redster
04-30-2004, 04:40 PM
An obvious choice of a meeting place is Chuck's since most have been there. There are plenty of other places in Grapevine. A little ways down the road on 121 is the Railhead BBQ and on 1709 there is a Chipotle with a big lot in back if you want a giant buritto. One way or the other Grapevine is on 114 on your way to the track. By the way, the Star-Telegram documented a speed trap in Trophy Club, watch out for the 50 MPH zone. Some sort of disagreement between the city of Westlake and the DPS.

cruzer
05-01-2004, 11:37 AM
Chuck's would be great for some of us---any other suggestions?? Keep the info coming in--need to know how many will be running by Friday morning for planning purposes--hope to see you there. See you at LSCC show Sat morning . Maury

cruzer
05-03-2004, 08:37 PM
Stopped by TMS on the way home from the airport today. Everything looks good for Sat. There will be a big motorcycle rally Sat-Sun--but we will have the track at night--a good chance to show our Marauders to the bike group--they will probably be watching from the infield---if we can't agree on a common meeting place--we can get organized in one of the raceway parking lots and enter the gate as a group--we'll work that out later.
PLEASE post if you plan to go to TMS--see you at LSCC. Maury

2003 MIB
05-04-2004, 04:13 AM
Stopped by TMS on the way home from the airport today. Everything looks good for Sat. There will be a big motorcycle rally Sat-Sun--but we will have the track at night--a good chance to show our Marauders to the bike group--they will probably be watching from the infield---if we can't agree on a common meeting place--we can get organized in one of the raceway parking lots and enter the gate as a group--we'll work that out later.
PLEASE post if you plan to go to TMS--see you at LSCC. Maury

Gonna do both the LSCC show and TMS laps. I'm looking forwad to this! :rock:

Redster
05-04-2004, 04:59 PM
I'll be at LSCC and TMS. See ya.

Johnman
05-04-2004, 05:51 PM
I'll be at TMS with my (ahem) seven-ish son. Hopefully they'll let him ride around the track with me. If not, maybe he can stay with Collie if she's not going with Dan. Or some other trusted Marauder-family member. If we can't go on the track, that's OK, we'll still get our picture in victory lane. 6-10pm, right? And is this the same location as the LSCC show? Forgive my ignorance! :help:

cruzer
05-04-2004, 08:44 PM
I'll be at TMS with my (ahem) seven-ish son. Hopefully they'll let him ride around the track with me. If not, maybe he can stay with Collie if she's not going with Dan. Or some other trusted Marauder-family member. If we can't go on the track, that's OK, we'll still get our picture in victory lane. 6-10pm, right? And is this the same location as the LSCC show? Forgive my ignorance! :help:
John, great !!!---I will try to get a clarification whether it is 6 yrs and under or under six--I am sure there will be other members who will not be making the laps-I believe you have to make the laps to get into victory lane---will check that out also. The LSCC show is at the Sym's store parking lot on Mockingbird--just past Lemmon. We will be posting a rendesvous point by Thurs nite for Texas Motor Speedway--we can even have our own parking lane at the raceway entrance to line up for a group entry--it's your choice
Watch this space for furthur announcements--keep the confirmations coming in. :rock: Maury

Rollin'Thunder
05-04-2004, 08:51 PM
Kay and I will be at the TMS run. Can't make the LSCC Show. :( Looking forward to the run! :burnout:

2003 MIB
05-05-2004, 04:13 AM
I'll be at TMS with my (ahem) seven-ish son. Hopefully they'll let him ride around the track with me.

Seems like I remember Jack's birthday back in January of 1997. I think I could even attest to that. I'm sure he'll be just fine. :up:

Johnman
05-06-2004, 01:48 PM
Good memory, Dan. Reminds me of why I named you his "God'sheadfather".

cruzer
05-06-2004, 08:43 PM
Please let me know if you plan to run at TMS on Saturday--so far we only have 5 sure and one doubtful---that won't get us a group run-I have to contact TMS first thing Sat. morning with numbers---try to be there by 6:30 if pssible---if we know you are on the way--we will wait--call me --817-296-3819. --come on--let's have some fun for a good cause. Maury

2003 MIB
05-07-2004, 04:46 AM
Please let me know if you plan to run at TMS on Saturday--so far we only have 5 sure and one doubtful---that won't get us a group run-I have to contact TMS first thing Sat. morning with numbers---try to be there by 6:30 if pssible---if we know you are on the way--we will wait--call me --817-296-3819. --come on--let's have some fun for a good cause. Maury

I'm confirming for the AER show AND TMS charity laps. I don't know if I'll have Coli with me. The house A/C is being upgraded- she claims there's more hot air since I moved in- HEY, I JUST GOT THAT!!!! :bounce: :bounce:

2003 MIB
05-07-2004, 04:59 AM
Good memory, Dan. Reminds me of why I named you his "God'sheadfather".

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Johnman
05-07-2004, 09:21 AM
I plan on being at both AER and TMS! And I didn't even leave my house all last weekend! :banana: :banana:

cruzer
05-07-2004, 03:43 PM
Spent some time at the raceway today--got to meet everybody we will be involved with. WE have our own "assembly area" designated as shown on the map.I should be parked in this area after 5 PM--look for my Marauder (the one with the hood ornament). You will have to sign a liability waiver and show your driver's license--should be able to fill out the forms in our area, then show license at gate---they plan to enter us as a group at 7:30 PM :lol: --we will still have to wait our turn for the track--there will be other groups.If you arrive after we leave the area--by-pass the waiting line and go directly to the gate and tell them you are with the North Texas Marauders--they will give directions to our position in the garage area. I hope everyone can get there by 7:00--the more cars we have the better chance we have of running as a separate and unique group---try for 10 at least :lol: I have some goodies --I'll bring them to AER with me--won't get to AER until about 9:30. Gotta go polish the car--will check the net at 11:00PM and again in the morning at 8: AM . If you are running late to TMS, call me 817-296-3819 and we will try to make adjustments. See you tomorrow, :help: Maury

2003 MIB
05-10-2004, 04:23 AM
My head's still spinning after watching the school bus running the banks at TMS. Quite surreal!!! Let's leave the school district out of the posts :nono: - I have an odd feeling it wasn't a sactioned field trip...pretty cool though...

mrjones
05-10-2004, 07:32 AM
My head's still spinning after watching the school bus running the banks at TMS. Quite surreal!!! Let's leave the school district out of the posts :nono: - I have an odd feeling it wasn't a sactioned field trip...pretty cool though...

Aw...COME ON!! As the transportation director for our school district, I GOTTA know who had their bus out on the track. I'll see all my school bus buddies at the state conference next month. I've gotta be able to say something to SOMEBODY. I wanted to get up there so bad, but child care and tball got in the way. Dagnab it!

cruzer
05-10-2004, 09:03 PM
We had a good turnout at TMS in spite of the weather---I ran through HEAVY rain between AER and TMS--but Rollin' Thunder was at the track early and kept us informed---not a drop of rain fell on the track !!!!!! Rollin' Thunder (silver), 2003 MIB, Blue 92 and myself managed to get together in the mess and entered the infield about 7:30--got permission to wait for others in a marshalling area. There were about 10 Camaros already there--one of the drivers walked over, and by gosh, it was the gentleman who gave me my Walker Racing logo last year at TMS--right after I met him, my computer was hacked and I didn't get back on line for about 6 weeks and we never made contact again. Within a short time, Rodster (red) and Johnman (blue) showed up and we were ready to roll. Because of the threatening weather, some of the Camaros left and he didn't have the required 14 cars needed to run in a group. He asked if we would run with them and the rest is history--he was on the pole and our Marauders were in front of the Camaros--Thanks to the Camaro Club and Frank :up: :rock: There were some good pics and Kay (Mrs. Rollin' Thunder) has made a DVD/CD of her movies and stills--hope to see them soon---Thanks, Kay. :up: :up:
The pace car was stubborn and ran at about 80 mph--if you played the game right, you could get up to 90+---wasn't looking at the speedo, but got WOT 2-3 shift ---I had a BLAST !!!! :up: :beer: :banana: :rock:
They are having another "Laps for Charity " in Sept--will keep you posted.
More tomorrow nite (pics) Maury
Even with the bad weather , there were over 500 cars that ran that nite !!!

cruzer
05-11-2004, 08:56 PM
Check the "Gallery--Events--North Texas Marauders

Rare98Ragtop
05-18-2004, 04:15 PM
Hey guys, I am the one that was in the pole position with you at TMS. I sure enjoyed the run, and tried to get the pace car to move a little faster for us, but no go. Cruzer, it was great seeing you again, I too was hoping you would be there. we will have to all hook up again soon. By the way, you guys have a good looking board here, feel free to join us at DFWLS1.com or LS2.com anytime. I go by the same user name on those boards.

Hope to see ya'll soon, Robert

cruzer
05-18-2004, 08:15 PM
Hey guys, I am the one that was in the pole position with you at TMS. I sure enjoyed the run, and tried to get the pace car to move a little faster for us, but no go. Cruzer, it was great seeing you again, I too was hoping you would be there. we will have to all hook up again soon. By the way, you guys have a good looking board here, feel free to join us at DFWLS1.com or LS2.com anytime. I go by the same user name on those boards.

Hope to see ya'll soon, Robert
Glad you found us--now you can keep track of our local group and our national news. I had a BALL running with you and we all appreciate what you and the Camaro group did for us--if we can return the favor, please let us know. This Sat. we are planning to go to the SVT Cruise at the Chuck's Hamburgers in Grapevine--Hwy 26Xhwy 114--Target parking lot across from Baylor Hospital.. registration 5-7 PM--awards at 8--great cars,good friends, good food--who could ask for more---had 14 Marauders last month--join us.
Hope to see you again soon--working on a new club logo--then your shirt will be made up---Thanks again, Maury