PDA

View Full Version : Important Dream Cruise Update!!

MikesMerc
04-29-2004, 04:36 PM
Things are moving quickly here in the MotorCity. As the warmer weather has begun moving in, many car enthusiast's thoughts have turned to the cruise. Are options are narrowing quickly and we must move soon. Here is where we stand:

The church is a no go. :cry: It was previously promised to many church members and has in fact been already leased up (money paid) since LAST August. BTW, they charged $140 per spot and every one sold out...and that was only for Saturday.

Both Banks refuse to discuss leasing terms until the middle of July. I'm sure they are either hoping for a large corporate renter, or perhaps something for the Bank's VIPs and customers. Either way, we cannot wait for these lots, so they are out.

What we have left is Annette's Salon (my personal favorite), and the MultiBank location at the 696 & Woodward intersection (not a bad spot either!).

Now, the best part.....Annette is willing to pass up on sending the lot into a bidding war if we are willing to step up and rent the lot right now for 10% more than she rented last year. Based on what I've heard so far for this year, the WDC is expected to have a blowout year due to last years power out and pent up demand. Prices are higher accross the board so this is not an unreasonable proposal on Annette's behalf.

The Choice:

The MB lot can hold 45 cars and is going for $6,000. That's $135 per space IF the whole lot is rented out. We have the lot from Friday pm (close of business) to Sunday. Pleasant Ridge requires a special permit for subletting vendors (selling food, drinks, t shirts, etc), so I'm not gonna go that route. That means no vendor income to offset cost. Promotional vendor assistance (from Ford or other company) doesn't need a permit and is just fine. Either way, $135 is a darn good price. The real issue with the MB lot is that the location is a little less than prime and we may not fill all the spots. It does provide lots of space and some good shade, but is a bit away from the hottest action which takes place closer to 13 and Woodward. View of the southbound lanes of Woodward are obscured as well.

Annette's is much smaller....only 28 to 30 cars max. The price is $6500 if we want to sign the lease and not worry about it any more. Thats' $230 per sopt! At first impression, that seems aweful expensive, but consider the following:

We will have the lot Thurs night (close of business) through Sunday.
The location is utterly fantastic! Definitely at the heart of the action.
The one price would let you park Thursday night, all day Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
We would be very close to surrounding activities:
-Duggan's Pub where radio and TV gather. A real Bash.
-Northwood Shopping Car Show
-Memorial Park Car Show
- Close to food and bathrooms (Burger King is only two lots down)
-Side street access for convenient in-and-out

Obviously you can tell which spot I think is best:D Another advantage is that if we don't fill all the spaces, we can easily get vendors in and sublet space, as well as sell parking to others. In fact, if we have less than a full lot on Friday, I'm sure I can sell parking on Friday for $50 to $100 for just that day. Remember, Friday is a HUGE cruise day. The parking packs out by Thurday night. So we're looking at a huge 2 day event at a minimum. Given that, I think the price is worth it.

However, I know that not everyone may think that. So I put it to you guys right now. Annette's for $230 per spot, or MB lot for $135 per spot. We need to close the deal soon so vote NOW.

BTW, on a side note, we are trying to negociate the lot next door to Annette's for more space. If that happens, we'll either have more space for MM and our guests, or we can sublet more vending and parking to defray our costs.

Vote NOW please! I'm not sure how long I can keep Annette ready to sign the deal. I want to avoid a bid war at all costs or I'm afraid we will be quickly priced out of the game.

DetGeno
04-29-2004, 05:33 PM
If I remember it correctly, someone got it for $5,000 last year so that means we'll get it for $5,500 which is a 10% increase, not $6,500.00 right?

MikesMerc
04-29-2004, 05:50 PM
Unfortunately there was more to the details. She also took a cut of the vendor revenues and the crane admissions. We won't be sharing any of that with her...if we do get vendors depending on space. Last year she cleared around $6k in total. She rounded down to make it $6.5k.

Yes....I know this seems expensive, but it really isnt compared to what other places are charging. For example, to get into the Northwood Shopping Plaza Park and Show is $250 :eek: ...and that is just for the one day, Saturday.

Like I said, I think we'll be able to rent out any available spots easily to defray our total cost. Worse case scenerio is $230 per spot. I think we'll end up cheaper than that in the end.

merc406
04-29-2004, 06:02 PM
Mike, I like the "close to food and bathrooms", I'm in if we can get the close to bathroom lot. :rock: :rasta: :beer:

MikesMerc
04-29-2004, 06:11 PM
Mike, I like the "close to food and bathrooms", I'm in if we can get the close to bathroom lot. :rock: :rasta: :beer:

Excellent.

BTW, no matter which lot we go with, make sure you get your deposit in asap. I'm gonna need to make a significant deposit soon on one of those deals.

Thanks!

LOL...The WDC is months away and I'm already excited :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout:

Meteorite
04-29-2004, 06:54 PM
Post deleted by Meteorite.

MikesMerc
04-29-2004, 07:10 PM
I've been parking on Woodward between 13 and 14 mile for the last 8 years. There has been a major increase in police presence over the last few years. And, if I recall, there was a Marauder group right there in Duggan's lot last year too.

Not only that, but our lot will be roped off and monitored.

I've walked that exact stretch for years and have never seen excessive drunken behavior by any significant groups. I hope my description of why the location is so good didn't sound like it was a drunken college festival. In fact, Annette's has hosted the Official Dream Cruise Sky Crane for the last four years, and its a pretty docile corner.

MarauderMike
04-29-2004, 08:15 PM
Either spot works for me, they both have their own attributes. I'll take the advice of those who have participated in the WDC in the past. If we are there, we can't go wrong! Mike, can you address the number of participants you have received a deposit from to date? As we had talked last Sunday, should would make it easier to make the decision if we think we need the extra space at the lot on 696 and Woodward

bigslim
04-29-2004, 08:21 PM
Mike, I will give you my check on Sunday. Please secure my spot. By the way, I will go with either spot. I feel we will have fun as a group no matter where we end up.

MikesMerc
04-29-2004, 08:26 PM
I also think both spots have thier merits. Although I am biased to Annette's lot (due to my prior 10 years of WDC experience), I tried hard to make the pros and cons of each very clear.

Right now, as it sits, we have:

11 attendees with paid deposits
5 attendees with a promise to make deposit soon
2 probables

Unless we get a heap more (more than 10) we may not need the space the bank lot offers and will prove to be just as expensive. In fact, we are thinking of limiting the Annette's parking to 25 cars anyway, to leave room for a tent, food and beverage area, and plenty of seating.

In addition, If we don't get the 25 cars there for Friday (a real possibility), I'll be renting open spots to the public to lower our costs. Hotrods and musclecars only....preferably Mercurys of course:)

merc406
04-29-2004, 08:30 PM
Mike you have a P/M :rock:

MikesMerc
04-29-2004, 08:32 PM
Please secure my spot.

Done! :up:

MikesMerc
04-29-2004, 08:32 PM
Mike you have a P/M :rock:

Right back at ya! :coolman:

N40GL
04-29-2004, 08:34 PM
Things are moving quickly here in the MotorCity. ---snip!----

Mike:

I trust your judgement to make the right choice!

Mark

bigslim
04-29-2004, 08:34 PM
You are on the ball. Man that was quick.

merc406
04-29-2004, 08:35 PM
Right back at ya! :coolman:

Sunday at W/Wdys? Will give you deposit. :beer:

MikesMerc
04-29-2004, 09:36 PM
Mike:

I trust your judgement to make the right choice!

Mark

Thank you. I really appreciate your trust :beer: I won't let you down.

Sunday at W/Wdys? Will give you deposit. :beer:

Sounds good :)

jobrien8
04-29-2004, 10:09 PM
Will see you at WW on Sunday with a deposit. Will be a little late as this weeks soccer match is at Romeo@3pm. Also have membership. Got to say you have really done a terrific :banana: job on this. Amazing how the church just was able to let you know that the lot was obtained last August :censor: .

merc406
04-30-2004, 01:54 PM
Membership? We have the dues figured out?

MikesMerc
04-30-2004, 02:56 PM
Yep. $25. I'll ask Dave to start another sticky thread about emmbership dues.

dwasson
04-30-2004, 06:27 PM
Mike, you should already have a check from me. Do you need more now or later?

MikesMerc
04-30-2004, 09:29 PM
As soon as the lot is secured and we know how many spaces are sold, I'll calculate how much each person will need above the $100 deposit. Until then, the original deposit we'll be fine.

If I have to put a sizable down payment on the deal (a real possibility) I may ask for difference to be paid quickly. So please stay tuned:)

Fast4Door
05-01-2004, 09:49 PM
Mike,

I voted for Annette's, but I will go where the club goes.

I PayPal'ed my deposit to you.

Jerry

MarauderMike
05-02-2004, 07:35 PM
Jerry,
Do you get on Six Mile much? I keep seeing a blue MM near Six and Farmington, my neck of the woods.

Fast4Door
05-03-2004, 08:36 AM
Probably me...
I live near 6 & Newburg. I'm always up and down 6 mile.
I'l be looking for your DTR MM...