PDA

View Full Version : Remote Oil Filter Questions

HotRaud90
04-23-2015, 08:53 AM
I'm tired of gettin oil everywhere and havin to clean it up after an oil change. It's hard as H-E-double-hockey-sticks to get to and just a general PITA, as everyone is accustomed to. I'm thinkin about relocating the oil filter when I do my next oil change, which will also be when I change the oil filter adapter gasket. Seemed like a good time to do everything.

I've read a few old threads here and there about relocating the oil filter using a kit and the general consensus seems to be that the over the counter kits you can get from summit or wherever that use rubber style hosing and barb fittings w/ clamps tend to leak and just be of generally crappy quality.

So, my questions are: 1) Who has done this project and what results have you had over time?, and 2) What materials has everyone used/what do you recommend?

I'm on a budget, but I definitely don't wanna go cheap. As a reference, Canton products, while great quality, are a little out of my price range.

Here's what it seems like it's gonna need:

SS braided hoses w/ fittings
Some type of filter adapter for the original plate
A new remote oil filter mount

Anything else I'm missing? Thanks in advance.

Mebot
04-23-2015, 08:55 AM
Why don't you just get an oil deflector?

Can't stop the signal

Spectragod
04-23-2015, 09:05 AM
I have one, braided lines, blah blah blah, took it off, it's only semi convenient in my opinion.

HotRaud90
04-23-2015, 09:37 AM
Why don't you just get an oil deflector?

Can't stop the signal

Considered it. There are two different kinds though, one seems to be for GM one for MM. Not sure if universal fit for both. Plus, I would have to go through the trouble of taking and putting on/off each time. Would still probably be some type of mess involved. Not to mention, it's not just about the mess. It also has to do with location of filter. Still a pain to get out past steering component assemblies. Depending on where I relocated to, might not even have to put car on ramps to do oil change. Who knows.

I have one, braided lines, blah blah blah, took it off, it's only semi convenient in my opinion.

Why so? Interested in all opinions on the matter.

Zack
04-23-2015, 09:56 AM
A half of can of brake clean to clean up the oil is going to be cheaper up to 80 oil changes.
Don't waste your money.

martyo
04-23-2015, 10:03 AM
A half of can of brake clean to clean up the oil is going to be cheaper up to 80 oil changes.
Don't waste your money.

You stole my post!

Joe Walsh
04-23-2015, 10:07 AM
Don't waste your money.

True....but the 'gummint' is working hard on outlawing any useful chemical that actually works!
BrakeClean is first on their list.

I want my carcinogens at full strength.

justbob
04-23-2015, 10:53 AM
Considered it. There are two different kinds though, one seems to be for GM one for MM. Not sure if universal fit for both. Plus, I would have to go through the trouble of taking and putting on/off each time. Would still probably be some type of mess involved. Not to mention, it's not just about the mess. It also has to do with location of filter. Still a pain to get out past steering component assemblies. Depending on where I relocated to, might not even have to put car on ramps to do oil change. Who knows.

Why so? Interested in all opinions on the matter.

You install it and leave it alone. Mines been on for many years and every oil change is drip free.

Builder Of Badassery

chief455
04-23-2015, 11:32 AM
my experience was a Summit deal, TransDapt maybe? A spin on with the rubber hoses to the relocated filter mount. Everything was dry, and pressure great, until 150 miles and my new engine had a rod knock.
the filter adaptor passages did not fully align and starved my motor of oil. NEVER AGAIN.
rebuilt the motor, no relocated filter - still running strong with next owner 10 years later.

MOTOWN
04-23-2015, 01:25 PM
I have a Kit from MMR , but you can easily make your own , i like mines , and its very easy to get to , plus it takes the bigger FL-1A oil filter.

clmrt
04-23-2015, 02:00 PM
I just crack the filter loose and let it make it's little mess, then deal with what happens 5 minutes later. Not a lot of oil left to spill after that.

HotRaud90
04-23-2015, 03:23 PM
You install it and leave it alone. Mines been on for many years and every oil change is drip free.

Builder Of Badassery

I saw another member post about how his flew off somewhere along the way. I think it might've been RF Overlord. Went under to look for it and it was gone. Was concerned about that. What part number? As I mentioned, there appears to be two. I'm wondering if there are different mounting clips based on which model it is (whether it's for a Grand Marquis or a Marauder), and whatever steering assembly components they're supposed to attach to.

I have a Kit from MMR , but you can easily make your own , i like mines , and its very easy to get to , plus it takes the bigger FL-1A oil filter.

I liked the idea of it being vertical. No more spillage? But, as others have been saying, it is more expensive. MMR looks pretty pricey too...

justbob
04-23-2015, 03:50 PM
Don't know the number as a member gave it to me. I do know it has two clips and it snaps in really tight. I can't see how it could ever come off?

Builder Of Badassery

chief455
04-23-2015, 04:07 PM
I liked the idea of it being vertical. No more spillage? But, as others have been saying, it is more expensive. MMR looks pretty pricey too...
guys are posting positive results, some were negative.
I did like the ease of installing and upright filter position (mine was a dual filter mounted by the radiator for fresh air), but you should pay to get quality. Your engine is worth it.

MOTOWN
04-23-2015, 04:22 PM
Heres a pic of my remote filter

http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af324/sims36/20130326_030604_zps26f186b2.jp g

http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af324/sims36/20130326_030909_zps6690acce.jp g

Comin' in Hot
04-23-2015, 04:28 PM
Just buy one of these

http://www.amazon.com/PIGŪ-Form-A-FunnelŪ-Flexible-Draining-Tool/dp/B003V9JWHO

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b335/Witman40/EEB5FF83-71CC-41D7-A3DB-DA8148379467_zpsliyl2hzg.png (http://s22.photobucket.com/user/Witman40/media/EEB5FF83-71CC-41D7-A3DB-DA8148379467_zpsliyl2hzg.png.h tml)

HotRaud90
04-23-2015, 07:22 PM
guys are posting positive results, some were negative.
I did like the ease of installing and upright filter position (mine was a dual filter mounted by the radiator for fresh air), but you should pay to get quality. Your engine is worth it.

True. But to be clear, I was never going to skimp. I don't play that. However, dropping even $250 on this type of mod seems a little excessive for my pockets. Was lookin into piecing it together myself to see if I could bring price down, hopefully with some input of where to source the parts.

Heres a pic of my remote filter

Looks real nice! Me likey.

Just buy one of these

http://www.amazon.com/PIGŪ-Form-A-FunnelŪ-Flexible-Draining-Tool/dp/B003V9JWHO

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b335/Witman40/EEB5FF83-71CC-41D7-A3DB-DA8148379467_zpsliyl2hzg.png (http://s22.photobucket.com/user/Witman40/media/EEB5FF83-71CC-41D7-A3DB-DA8148379467_zpsliyl2hzg.png.h tml)

That's pretty nifty right there. Cheap too. Good reviews. Thanks for holler.

lifespeed
04-25-2015, 11:28 AM
If anyone knows the PN for the Marauder oil deflector please post. I bought the GM one, doesn't fit.

Marauderjack
04-25-2015, 02:30 PM
I had one for several years and it was OK but not so convenient and I lost about 10 PSI of oil pressure through the lines and adapter.....removed it a couple years back and just squirt 409 or another strong surfactant on the oil mess and hose it off.......Done!!:beer:

Spend your $$'s elsewhere!!:D

loud2004marquis
04-25-2015, 02:43 PM
Don't waste your money.

^^^What he said^^^

HotRaud90
04-25-2015, 09:26 PM
If anyone knows the PN for the Marauder oil deflector please post. I bought the GM one, doesn't fit.

I second this. Good to know that GM one doesn't fit on our car's arrangement of components.

Guess I'll just deal with it after all. I ended up buyin a PIG Form-a-funnel that Comin' In Hot recommended. Got it cheap on amazon. I'll see how it works out. Looks pretty functional and handy by what I've seen and read.

clmrt
04-25-2015, 09:33 PM
Ima buy an electric car an be done with it.