PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Wrap

Ross
05-03-2004, 02:41 PM
I tried searching for this and couldn't find it. Somewhere awhile back, someone mentioned the name of a tape which could be wrapped around the exhaust to help keep heat inside the pipe. Since I'm getting ready to install my Reinhart exhaust, I thought I might as well put this on while I had the parts off. I think the brand name was 3 letters. Any ideas?

SergntMac
05-03-2004, 02:53 PM
http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=search.asp&type=bykeyword&searchtype=both&part=exhaust+wrap&x=20&y=11

Cobra25
05-03-2004, 02:59 PM
I put it on my pipes. Its called DEI Thermal Heat wrap. Some people call it Header wrap also. They say it increase's HP by retaining 40-60 % ( some say more) of the heat in the pipe thus increasing exhaust Velocity (reducing back preasure )moves the heat in the pipe back away from the engine. If you PM me with your phone # I'll call you and tell you the pro's and cons about it. It work's good.

Zack
05-03-2004, 03:02 PM
It works good on headers.
You guys are putting it on the exhaust piping????

Cobra25
05-03-2004, 03:09 PM
I did and it made a difference. I have the DR. Cobra exhaust package from Dennis and by wraping the pipes only to the mufflers I increased the exhaust flow and keeped out unwanted heat from my engine compartment. Works good.

woaface
05-03-2004, 04:08 PM
http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=search.asp&type=bykeyword&searchtype=both&part=exhaust+wrap&x=20&y=11
Looks like something a friend made me...I have it around my neck...

duhtroll
05-03-2004, 04:21 PM
OK Sarge - what we now need to know is how much and what size.

I have the DR package still waiting in my garage to be installed, and this sounds like something I want to put on as well.

Thanks again,
-A

merc406
05-03-2004, 04:48 PM
put that stuff on your headers, you'll void any warranty on them, they will turn your headers and pipes into junk within a year or a year and a half, if you drive it everyday, pipes get baked underneath the stuff. Better to have the headers ceramic coated before hand or forget it.

CRUZTAKER
05-03-2004, 07:18 PM
put that stuff on your headers, you'll void any warranty on them, they will turn your headers and pipes into junk within a year or a year and a half, if you drive it everyday, pipes get baked underneath the stuff. Better to have the headers ceramic coated before hand or forget it.
Exactly what the folks at C&M told me when they installed my Kooks......
They mean too much to me to get ruined in such a short time.
BTW: Mine aren't ceramic coated either, not by my choice, But Nick and George at Kooks.

MarauderBoy
05-03-2004, 08:57 PM
Ran the header wrap for 5 years on my '93 Explorer - No issues, less heat
Ran the header wrap for 4 years on my '94 RV (Ford 460) - No Issues, seriously less heat
Running the the header wrap on my '01 PSD Excursion over 18 months - No issues, less heat.

This stuff works. It will reduce under hood temps and has not contibuted to the rapid deterioration mentioned in this thread. I would have put it on the Reinhart Cobra exhaust on the car now but it did it wouldn't fit well or look like it would have the impact of wrapping headers.

merc406
05-04-2004, 02:03 AM
Ran the header wrap for 5 years on my '93 Explorer - No issues, less heat
Ran the header wrap for 4 years on my '94 RV (Ford 460) - No Issues, seriously less heat
Running the the header wrap on my '01 PSD Excursion over 18 months - No issues, less heat.

This stuff works. It will reduce under hood temps and has not contibuted to the rapid deterioration mentioned in this thread. I would have put it on the Reinhart Cobra exhaust on the car now but it did it wouldn't fit well or look like it would have the impact of wrapping headers.

Got pictures? :D

THE_INTERCEPTOR
05-04-2004, 06:27 AM
wow. I'm waiting on some more input from users who have this stuff or have used it before.

I've never heard of it, and I find it REALLY interesting. Performance wise, what did you see from it? I mean I don't expect much, for Pete's sake its only tape. But the concept makes sense.

I am seriously considering purchasing this stuff, and once I see a few more positive reviews, I will.

Is it as easy as putting the car on a lift, and simply wrapping the tape around the pipes cats-back to the muffler, the way you would bandage a leg?

Please excuse my ignorance, but my knowledge and experience with mechanics are quite limited.

MENINBLK
05-04-2004, 06:57 AM

I don't know if it is just me, but I fail to see your logic in this statement.
What kills pipes is rust. Rust is caused by the condensation trapped inside your pipes, that doesn't get out because of the lack of heat.
If capturing this heat keeps the inside of your pipes drier, then the pipes should live LONGER, not SHORTER.

The WRAP also externally protectes the pipes from debris and water.

merc406
05-04-2004, 07:00 AM
I don't know if it is just me, but I fail to see your logic in this statement.
What kills pipes is rust. Rust is caused by the condensation trapped inside your pipes, that doesn't get out because of the lack of heat.
If capturing this heat keeps the inside of your pipes drier, then the pipes should live LONGER, not SHORTER.

The WRAP also externally protectes the pipes from debris and water.

Go ahead buy it. :lol: :beatnik:

SergntMac
05-04-2004, 08:20 AM
OK Sarge - what we now need to know is how much and what size.
BTSOOM, Andrew. Giving up a link for that crap doesn't mean I support it's use, and nothing I've read here makes me want to buy any of it.

Ross
05-04-2004, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the link and all of the informative responses. This idea sounded like a good concept, but having seen some negative feedback, I might wait awhile before putting on the exhaust (it's sitting at the mechanic's shop ready to be installed) in order to get some more 411 and have a better idea of which way to go on this. If anyone has any links to any other sources of product reviews on this, I'd really be interested in checking it out.

MikesMerc
05-04-2004, 10:49 AM
Header wrap is a BAD idea. Wrapping exhaust pipes is even worse. Merc406 is 100% correct.

LOL...this header wrap crap was the rage in the early 70's...that is until everyone learned how bad it was for those nice new headers:)

Here's everything you ever wanted to know about why header wrap sucks:
header wrap sucks (http://www.centuryperformance.com/heatwraps.asp)

THE_INTERCEPTOR
05-04-2004, 11:02 AM

Well, looks like I won't be purchasing this "crap" after all. :rasta:

SergntMac
05-04-2004, 06:43 PM
There's another aspect of wrapping exhaust that hasn't been mentioned yet, so, Ill throw it up here.

It's my personal theory that as exhaust gasses travel through the system, they are supposed to cool, and thus require less room inside the pipe as the gas is pushed to the rear of the system. If you wrap your exhaust pipes, this heat is trapped inside and exhaust gas will stay hot further down the system than planned, and require room that you do not have available.

It's logical that you are recreating a bottleneck you paid good money to correct by wrapping your exhaust. Was this what you wanted to do?

IMHO, if you really want to wrap your exhaust system in heat sealing materials, it would be more efficient to move up to 3" OD components. Moreover, it is unlikely that the internals of the cats and mufflers are designed to deal with this increased heat over a sustained period of use. Exhaust system efficiency and longevity will be reduced.

In an backward way, I proved this to myself by adding Reinhart's Cobra exhaust system to my Ravin Z-55 mufflers. The 2.5" OD Cobra system necked down to 2" OD in the 14" long extension pipe leading into the Ravins. It wasn'tlong before the Ravins were completely burned out, and "open pipes" was not what I wanted. I corrected the extension to 2.5" OD and replaced the mufflers with the Magnaflow 18s, and I like this sound a lot.

Y'all can wrap away, but it's not for me.

Ross
05-05-2004, 10:38 AM
Very interesting stuff. Once again, I learn something here from various contributors to my knowledge. While the theory still sounds good to me (at least on paper), there is enough negative feedback that I guess I'll be installing DR's exhaust without any wrap. Thanks for all of the help.

merc406
05-05-2004, 12:04 PM
Header wrap is a BAD idea. Wrapping exhaust pipes is even worse. Merc406 is 100% correct.

LOL...this header wrap crap was the rage in the early 70's...that is until everyone learned how bad it was for those nice new headers:)

Thanks Mike for finding that, now I don't have to tell the story of how I ruined a new set of Hookers with that s :censor: t.

MikesMerc
05-05-2004, 05:56 PM
I feel your pain Larry. I toasted a a nice set of Hookers myself on my 65 Olds Cutlass I had back in the mid 80s. That was my first and last time using the wrap.