PDA

View Full Version : 04 DTR Mercury Marauder

Red Rum
07-08-2015, 07:25 AM
I have a Red 04 Mercury Marauder. That I bought last November. With 7.358 original miles. I put a JLT Cold air kit on it. A SCT 93 octane tune. Being I am in the north east NYC. It just hit 11.000 miles. I want to do headers and catback. But I see Stainless works makes a full front to back kit. And Kooks makes headers X-pipe with high flow cats. And the mufflers. Meaning I have to get the back end tail pipes done custom. This is my baby. I am a Ford man until I die. Meaning this is my first Mod Motor. I have a wicked show and go Fox Stang. So any help. On which kit to buy. Would be a great help. I want to know the fitment. Looks and how loud will it be. And is it worth. Investing money on one of these kits. Thank you for any advise. I get from you Ladies and Gentlemen would be awesome. Thank you very much.

1Marauder
07-08-2015, 08:24 AM
You already know more than most. I cant speak for the full systems and am sure they are awesome, yet as we have smog police here we do the rear CAT delete + Magniflows + rear tip resonator delete (this way you get to keep the stock tips) and this creates a nice hearty, lower register growl without the higher register BAPBAPBAP on deceleration.

Car sounds mean when you accelerate, yet is still stealthy and a sleeper sedan that will rumble by fairly quietly when idling.

Also a huge savings toward other mods :)

PS how do we spellcheck?

1Marauder
07-08-2015, 08:29 AM
BAM!!! Under forums check THIRD PARTY SALES--THERE IS A SYSTEM IN NY FOR SALE!

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/pts/5100825754.html

chief455
07-08-2015, 10:03 AM
You might want to think about the return on investment for headers and a full exhaust.
When my car was mostly stock (JLT intake/4.10/tune) a previous owner had swapped the stock mufflers and deleted the rear cats.
All SMOG still passes and the car sounded mean, with a low rumble, but no blurp-blurp-blurp on deceleration.
Headers, for the cost and labor, will give you no significant power gain (mod motor thing) - related to the cost.
Changing mufflers and rear cat delete please 85% of the bolt on guys.
4.10 gears will give you far more 'punch' when driving then you would notice from headers.

If you have your mind made up, SW headers for fitment and quality, plus the available matching exhaust kit. And I've read they do sound good vs. stock manifolds.
Nice car, and welcome!

RubberCtyRauder
07-08-2015, 10:10 AM
You will need a new tune with long tube headers, and gain 20 or so Rwhp

DWSTANG67
07-08-2015, 10:20 AM
Since your in new york check out statlen island customs http://www.sic-performance.com/ They are a vendor for stainless works, They did a great install and have a dyno to adjust your tune

Mr. Man
07-08-2015, 10:22 AM
Rear cat delete, New 2 1/4 H mid pipe to replace the 2" choke point, muffler of your choosing, if you can find a set of resonator delete tips. The MM system flows well from Mercury except for the 2" down size at the mid pipe.

If you going to S/C the car then a 2 1/2" system is the way to go and you'll want the whole SW set up.

Red Rum
07-16-2015, 11:55 AM
Thanks alot. I am going to take into consideration all the points. You all have told me. I was thinking Kooks Headers and Kooks X-pipe with 2 high flow cats. And leave stock mufflers and tail pipes. But I am going to do a little more research. Before I pull the trigger. Being I am keeping it for a very long time.

Mr. Man
07-16-2015, 01:18 PM
Thanks alot. I am going to take into consideration all the points. You all have told me. I was thinking Kooks Headers and Kooks X-pipe with 2 high flow cats. And leave stock mufflers and tail pipes. But I am going to do a little more research. Before I pull the trigger. Being I am keeping it for a very long time.You might like the H-pipe better for sound.

chief455
07-16-2015, 01:52 PM
If you have your mind made up, SW headers for fitment and quality, plus the available matching exhaust kit.
Please re read this^^ before going Kooks.
Any Martyo, in the vendor section, can give you a heck of a price on SW

Thanks alot. I am going to take into consideration all the points. You all have told me. I was thinking Kooks Headers and Kooks X-pipe with 2 high flow cats. And leave stock mufflers and tail pipes. But I am going to do a little more research. Before I pull the trigger. Being I am keeping it for a very long time.

rauder88
07-16-2015, 02:02 PM
SW headers from Marty. Wouldn't do it any other way! I would stick with an H design. I'm not 100% sold on SW mufflers sound though...

justbob
07-16-2015, 03:41 PM
Good luck ever needing to replace the starter on Kooks... Besides, they aren't a true LT. Go Stainless Works and don't give it a second thought. Perfect, easy fit, and sounds AWESOME even if you retain the stock H and mufflers. In my opinion their full system fits like crap and is raspy. One mod I wish I would have had custom done..

Builder Of Badassery

chief455
07-16-2015, 05:50 PM
Good luck ever needing to replace the starter on Kooks... Besides, they aren't a true LT. Go Stainless Works and don't give it a second thought. Perfect, easy fit, and sounds AWESOME even if you retain the stock H and mufflers. In my opinion their full system fits like crap and is raspy. One mod I wish I would have had custom done..

Builder Of Badassery
I have the SW headers w/cats bolted to a stock system. Then changed the mufflers. Until it breaks, I'll keep it as this = sounds purrrrfect!