PDA

View Full Version : Rear Tire Wear??

Marauderjack
05-07-2004, 03:41 AM
I seem to have effectively stopped the rear tire wear in the center by running 40 PSI.......Crazy but true??!! :confused:

I was wondering if any of you who put the rear tires on all corners could shed some light on their wear when up front?? :eek:

It seems that my fronts will outlast the rears by 2x.....not a big deal since the rears were only $85 when I bought the new set from Tire Rack. :up:

Marauderjack :D

Murader03
05-07-2004, 04:04 AM
I seem to have effectively stopped the rear tire wear in the center by running 40 PSI.......Crazy but true??!! :confused:

I was wondering if any of you who put the rear tires on all corners could shed some light on their wear when up front?? :eek:

It seems that my fronts will outlast the rears by 2x.....not a big deal since the rears were only $85 when I bought the new set from Tire Rack. :up:

Jack....with the same size tire on all 4 corners, you can then rotate to your hearts content. I went with the front size all around, they were replaced at about 26K or so. I'll have to check for the exact mileage. With the same size tires, I can now rotate front to back, side to side, etc. The present tires still look almost new with rotation every 5K.

Marauderjack
05-22-2004, 08:03 AM
Update.....Rear Tire Wear!!

I have put almost 5K miles on since raising the rear pressure to 40-42 PSI and the centertread is not wearing?? :confused: Strange but true......I put a stright edge across the tire and it is about .010" concave in the center and running on the outer treads!! :up:

BTW....My dealer is getting me two new ones and I'll have them put on under warranty next week......A bit of fussing helps sometimes!!!! :D

I will run 40+ PSI and should get 30K miles or more from them.....We'll see?? :D

Marauderjack :pimp:

cyclone03
05-22-2004, 08:07 AM
My rear tire wear has really picked-up sense I installed my Kooks headers and PI torque converter,but I don't think it has anything to do with tire pressure. :banana:

Marauder57
05-22-2004, 02:21 PM
I am about ready for new rears after about 22K....I must say that after all the mods I got from Dennis burning out probably has just a tiny bit to do with it......

I always wondered why the tires say 40PSI....but that little label on the gas tank says 32.....typically I follow the tire for pressure guidance...this is the only tire I have not....maybe I will with a new set of rears....

Krytin
05-22-2004, 05:43 PM

Seems crazy - but I'll try it! I have 5k miles on the new rears & they are starting to wear the centers again! I have been running 28 psi. Looks like 40 psi is worth a try! A quick question - what are ambient conditions when you check/fill air in tires? Thanks for the update!

dwasson
05-22-2004, 06:53 PM
I just bought new rear tires at 28K but I got my chip from Lidio today so I don't expect that many miles out of this pair.

TripleTransAm
05-23-2004, 05:54 AM
I always wondered why the tires say 40PSI....but that little label on the gas tank says 32.....typically I follow the tire for pressure guidance...this is the only tire I have not....maybe I will with a new set of rears....

Normally, what's on the tire is the maximum inflation pressure, not the recommended pressure. The label usually indicates what the auto manufacturer recommends as operating pressure, usually as a function of suspension design and car weight.

I recall the 2004 model owners mentioning that they were now recommending 35 psi all around... no doubt another grab at a few tenths of a MPG in their rating.

I still wonder if this odd wear has to do with 2 tire sizes on the same rim, front vs. rear.

Marauderman
05-23-2004, 06:04 AM
I still wonder if this odd wear has to do with 2 tire sizes on the same rim, front vs. rear.
To my dismay--I suffered IN Alt. Sat a complete left front wear down to the core--INSIDE- and had to use my full size spare on the left--had a shop change wheels for looks... mileage was 14K on the left- 12 K on the right--

This whole diff OEM size thing has had me wondering if this would happen--I'm really pixxxed off about it---my right is about 3/4 to the same problem--so I'll be ordering from Tire Rack quickly--guy at the tire store wanted $198 for one tire--OEM size--he looked suprised when I say "no thanks"--I'll get mine for $104---

Now --should it be same size all around and which one??? Knew this was gonna be difficult to decide--sorry for changing the topic somewhat...Tom

joflewbyu2
05-23-2004, 06:07 AM
FYI: my rears at 18,000 are needing relacement in the next 3,000 - 4,000 miles after many 1st to 2nd hard shifts that spin the tires. I run them at 35 psi cold all around. fronts are looking great- no inner or abnormal wear. Going to replace the rear with 235/50/18 G Force so i can rotate front to rear but not side to side. The 235/50 weigh 4 pounds each less than the 245/55s & are 5% smaller. This increases your rear axle ratio accordingly. Currently have stock 3.55s which w/ the 235/50s become 3.73 (4.10s become 4.30s). This is a win win situation. Smaller rotational size and less unsprung weight.

TripleTransAm
05-23-2004, 06:23 AM
Tom, I think the front wear situation is due to our wandering alignments, starting from an already aggressive factory alignment. I shudder to think what the insides of my front tires are looking like. The rears I think are because of the wider tire sitting on a too-narrow (for the size) rim. Ideally, you'd have 2 different rim widths front/rear but I guess that's just another bit of cost-cutting...

Hopefully Jo will update us on using 235s in the rear, as he flies by us...

Marauderman
05-23-2004, 08:47 AM
Going to replace the rear with 235/50/18 G Force so i can rotate front to rear but not side to side. The 235/50 weigh 4 pounds each less than the 245/55s & are 5% smaller. This increases your rear axle ratio accordingly. Currently have stock 3.55s which w/ the 235/50s become 3.73 (4.10s become 4.30s). This is a win win situation. Smaller rotational size and less unsprung weight.
I did not know lowering your tires size to the fronts all around would increase my rear gear ratio from 410 to 430!! Is this really true!!!

..and if you then change to all same size all around--why then only rotate front to back -rather than cross or left to right?.......Curious and needing some 411.........Thanks........Tom

Black Terror
05-23-2004, 12:32 PM
I did not know lowering your tires size to the fronts all around would increase my rear gear ratio from 410 to 430!! Is this really true!!!

..and if you then change to all same size all around--why then only rotate front to back -rather than cross or left to right?.......Curious and needing some 411.........Thanks........Tom
Tom, PM me your e-mail address and I will send you an EXCEL Spreadsheet that will allow you to see what tire size and gear ratio changes will do to your RPM or Speed.
You can rotate tires anyway you want if you have the same size. Our Tires are not directional, they can only be mounted on the rim one way.

Marauderman
05-23-2004, 05:25 PM
Tom, PM me your e-mail address and I will send you an EXCEL Spreadsheet that will allow you to see what tire size and gear ratio changes will do to your RPM or Speed.
You can rotate tires anyway you want if you have the same size. Our Tires are not directional, they can only be mounted on the rim one way.
PM sent--and thanks for your assistance..Tom