PDA

View Full Version : Rain x + Mr clean auto wash = No rain x

ultravorx
05-12-2004, 03:08 PM
Well, i think the mr clean auto wash is a great system, maybe even too great. I always keep a fresh layer of rain x on my car, but i noticed that one day out of the blue, i had no rain x, it just dissappeared. So i reapplied the rain x, i wash my car the next day, that night it rains, i cant see anything again, the rain x is gone. So i've come to the conclusion the mr clean system strips off the rain x. Anyone else notice this, or am i the only one. It looks like if i keep the mr clean system, i'll have to put on rain x everytime i wash the car. Hopefully mr clean doesnt strip the wax of the paint :eek:
Frank

Petrograde
05-12-2004, 03:18 PM
hmmm,... I use the Mr. Clean system, but I stopped using RainX 'cause it fogged up my windshield.

I haven't seen any evidence that Mr. Clean is removing any layers of Zaino.

Krytin
05-12-2004, 03:35 PM
I think the surfactant that Mr. Clean uses to get the water to run off w/out beading up may be defeating the RainX's beading effect.
I think I said that right - My brain hurts!

Donny Carlson
05-12-2004, 05:19 PM
Rain-x makes two products that may help you. The first is an additive for your windshield washing fluid that applies rain-x whenever you use the car's windshield washer. The second is a dispenser of towelettes pre-moistened with Rain-x, you just pull out a couple, wipe your windshield, and voila, Rain-X is reapplied.

Marauder
05-12-2004, 06:39 PM
I found that the Mr Celan thing stripped off my wax....car's finish didn't feel super smooth like it usually does after a wash. I ended up having to rewax my car.

duhtroll
05-12-2004, 07:03 PM
Agreed - I have been thinking the Mr. Clean system gets rid of the wax also. Certainly does not look as good after washing with Mr. Clean as it does with auto wash and hand dry or air dry.

Oh well - I knew having a home wash was too much to ask for. If I have to rewax after each wash, no point in using it.

Thanks,
-A

woaface
05-12-2004, 07:28 PM
To add to this, I think my California dry blade is taking off my wax...even if it's been a few weeks since I applied some...

Ross
05-13-2004, 07:32 AM
Rain-x makes two products that may help you. The first is an additive for your windshield washing fluid that applies rain-x whenever you use the car's windshield washer. The second is a dispenser of towelettes pre-moistened with Rain-x, you just pull out a couple, wipe your windshield, and voila, Rain-X is reapplied.

Be careful of the windshield washer additive, Donny. There have been reports posted that when the washer fluid squirts out, and some gets on the paint, that it takes off the wax. Haven't used it, just reporting what I've heard.

capt512
05-13-2004, 09:25 AM
From over at the CVN forum, the guys over there had a long discussion about the Mr. Clean system, and after running some "scientific" tests, found that the soap for the Mr. Clean system is very acidic, causing rain-x and wax both to come off.

Ross
05-13-2004, 09:47 AM
I wonder if you could use the Mr. Clean system JUST for the spot free rinse, and wash with something else? If it's the soap that's taking off the wax, maybe that would fix the problem. As I see it, the main advantage of the Mr. Clean system is the spot free, "no dry" feature, anyway.

fastblackmerc
10-24-2004, 02:15 PM
I've used the Rain-X windshield washer additive in all my cars for the last 3 years and have no issues with it removing wax or staining the paint. I also use the Mr. Clean system on my black Marauder. I think it's the best system for a spot-free car. Use the Rain-X additive and just run your wipers / washers for 3 - 4 seconds when it rains....

:P

Paul T. Casey
10-24-2004, 04:49 PM
Being a road warrior, I also use the Rain-X. I've noticed that most of the glass cleaning products will also take the Rain-X off. I just re-apply it every couple weeks. Haven't used the Mr. Clean system yet, but I don't mind toweling off my baby. As far as the wax goes, it would seem logical that most soaps would take the wax off. I remember from the body shop days, we used to use Dawn to wash the cars with prior to painting as it would remove the wax. I wax mine every 2 to 4 weeks anyway, so this isn't a biggie to me either. I mostly wax to try to protect the thinnish paint we have on theses cars.

CrazyCor15
10-24-2004, 04:58 PM
I learned that frequent use of a regular window cleaner acts like Rain-X. One of my tasks in my career field is keeping a vehicle fleet clean. All we use is a window cleaner like Windex on the outside.

Haggis
10-24-2004, 04:58 PM
Agreed - I have been thinking the Mr. Clean system gets rid of the wax also. Certainly does not look as good after washing with Mr. Clean as it does with auto wash and hand dry or air dry.

Oh well - I knew having a home wash was too much to ask for. If I have to rewax after each wash, no point in using it.

Thanks,
-A

I have also noticed that the Mr. Clean system removes my wax from the car. But, it does reduce my wash time by half and since mine is not a daily driver wash with Mr. Clean one day reapply wax the next. But, I do not use it all the time.

David Morton
10-24-2004, 05:13 PM
I've been using the Mr. Clean tool with Lemon Joy in it for five months now. I use a brush, never a rag or mitt, and use a clean towel to dry the car. Yes there's no wax on the car, but modern urethane clearcoat really doesn't need it as long as the clearcoat isn't being scoured with a sand impregnated cloth, 'soft' or not. Water beads up on my car and it shines like new.

I also use Rain-X washer additive and it's just as effective as when I used to spend ten minutes cleaning and then applying the old stuff every week after washing.