Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Full Coilover Kit for MM

A quick word about rear springs: if you're going to convert, just get springs from '07-'14 Mustangs. I use '11-'14 GT springs and couldn't be happier. They cost me $20, were basically brand new, and had a 3/4" drop over my stock Grand Marquis springs. Any air bag replacement springs will also sit way too high.

Now for a rear coilover setup: it is actually possible and has been done, HOWEVER, the guy who did it, his Crown Vic is a road race only car. He uses a coilover rear shock in place of the stock rear shock with a modified upper mount and no springs sitting between the axle & frame.

2005 Mercury S55
    Saleen Supercharged 2V

Imagine a Marauder with a fully independent rear-end with coilovers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad_S55 View Post
    A quick word about rear springs: if you're going to convert, just get springs from '07-'14 Mustangs. I use '11-'14 GT springs and couldn't be happier. They cost me $20, were basically brand new, and had a 3/4" drop over my stock Grand Marquis springs. Any air bag replacement springs will also sit way too high.
    There's a guy on CVN that has done this, too - for the O/P, Google "MEDC suspension info"...
    '03 Marauder | '91 Country Squire | '18 Flex Ecoboost | '92 Shadow VT1100
    former Panthers: '02 MGM, '04 MGM, '04 MGM v2.0, '04 MM, '07 P71 w/5-speed, '04 CVLX, '03 SAP P71, '10 P7B
    CLICK HERE and have your Marauder's COA info added to the database!!! | 2003 list ||| 2004 list
    Quote Originally Posted by offroadkarter View Post
    Reinhart's tuning skills were comparable to an ape slapping the keyboard in microsoft excel.

Quote Originally Posted by a_d_a_m View Post
    There's a guy on CVN that has done this, too - for the O/P, Google "MEDC suspension info"...
    That's who I'm talking about, his name is Sean. Very knowledgeable guy. He taught me everything I know about using rod ends to make suspension components.

2005 Mercury S55
    Saleen Supercharged 2V

Here's a pic of medc's custom setup
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...hare_pid=56113

<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <......

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bad_S55 View Post

Now for a rear coilover setup: it is actually possible and has been done, HOWEVER, the guy who did it, his Crown Vic is a road race only car. He uses a coilover rear shock in place of the stock rear shock with a modified upper mount and no springs sitting between the axle & frame.
    The vehicle has already been converted to Coils by the previous owner. I'm assuming you did the same conversion yourself? Did you have to any modifications to rear axle housing to install the mustang springs.. because if possible i would like to get some GT500 Springs as they have a stiffer spring rate.

Sorry before hand to revive an old thread -
    I was also curious about a spring conversion in the rear end awhile back.

If you are converting to coil springs know that the lower spring perch or mount was different than a CV. If I recall correctly that perch on the air bag equipped cars won't allow for an adjustable spring perch to sit correctly. If that's the case a coil spring equipped rearend housing or the brackets from a coil spring equipped car will be required or have to be fabricated and welded onto your existing rearend housing.

Quote Originally Posted by tobiasg1995 View Post
    Here's a pic of medc's custom setup
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...hare_pid=56113

<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <......

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk
    So much fail in these pictures. Just because the shock bracket hold the weight of the car doesn't mean it should. Look at the stress cracks in the paint from flexing. This is destined for disaster.

The front sway bar end links are also full of fail. there is no advantage to using those over the stock ones.

The front coilover spring is located at the bottom. It should be at the top away from the moving suspension components. It must hit at full extension. there is a reason every strut has the sprind at the top including similar setups like Naake and Ridetech.
    2003 Black - sold, back again, and sold
    2003 DBP/DC - #153 Whipple 3.4 (permanent garage art)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 36 (Sold)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 205 (Sold)
    2004 Black - Trilogy #43
    2003 Black - shitbox

Quote Originally Posted by Lowndex View Post
    Imagine a Marauder with a fully independent rear-end with coilovers.

WHEN I IMAGIN IT... I SEE IT ON YOUR CAR!

2003 300A Black, #4918 of 7838, 17,400 Miles
    Tune, KYB's, JLT, FlowMaster 42441, Res Delete, New BFG's, 8 coats of zymoil Titanium

2003 300B Silver Birch, #21 of 419, 29,800 miles
    Tune, JLT, FlowMaster 42441 Res Delete, New Nitto 235/255 Bigcarsforever dead peddle & custom SRP peddles, 5 coats Zymoil Titanium, Addco front and rear sway bars, KYBs, 1/2 inch coil cut, Sparta Watts link and Control Arms, Carfixer alignment.

2003 CV Sport Matador Red, 19,280 Miles, DD, Curless Full Service Royal flush, Marto Tune, 18 Chrome Wheels w 235/265 front/back Nitto tires, NEW OEM Sport Springs -1 coil & Monroe Severe Duty (front) shocks, Addco front and rear sway bars, KYB rear Shocks, Carfixer Alignment.

2004 CV HPP Silver Birch, 93,000 miles. Son's DD, 18 Chrome Wheels w 235/265 front/back Nitto tires (thank you Lowndex!)

Quote Originally Posted by 510paesan View Post
    Sorry before hand to revive an old thread -
    I was also curious about a spring conversion in the rear end awhile back.

If you are converting to coil springs know that the lower spring perch or mount was different than a CV. If I recall correctly that perch on the air bag equipped cars won't allow for an adjustable spring perch to sit correctly. If that's the case a coil spring equipped rearend housing or the brackets from a coil spring equipped car will be required or have to be fabricated and welded onto your existing rearend housing.
    Yes I've been told i would need to swap over a CV rear end or remove the bracket and get it welded into my existing rear end. Currently i'm leaning more towards just removing the Coil springs and returning the vehicle back to bags. But without the information on as to why the swap to coils was done. I'm a little uncertain if i want to tackle that when i have alot more things to fix. So unless i come across a complete CV Rear-end with LSD and a decent ratio. the Rear end/suspension is going to have to wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Chard View Post
    Yes I've been told i would need to swap over a CV rear end or remove the bracket and get it welded into my existing rear end. Currently i'm leaning more towards just removing the Coil springs and returning the vehicle back to bags. But without the information on as to why the swap to coils was done. I'm a little uncertain if i want to tackle that when i have alot more things to fix. So unless i come across a complete CV Rear-end with LSD and a decent ratio. the Rear end/suspension is going to have to wait.
    A 2007+ Crown Vic axle housing is identical to a with these exceptions:

- The Marauder has taller bump stops.

- The vent tube is different

- The differential cover is steel and has a plastic bumper on it.

Other than those items, they are the same the spring perches are the same.
    2003 Black - sold, back again, and sold
    2003 DBP/DC - #153 Whipple 3.4 (permanent garage art)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 36 (Sold)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 205 (Sold)
    2004 Black - Trilogy #43
    2003 Black - shitbox

Quote Originally Posted by Chard View Post
    if it aint broke, dont fix it - as for why it was done in the first place, anyone's guess

Quote Originally Posted by Comin' in Hot View Post
    So much fail in these pictures. Just because the shock bracket hold the weight of the car doesn't mean it should. Look at the stress cracks in the paint from flexing. This is destined for disaster.

The front sway bar end links are also full of fail. there is no advantage to using those over the stock ones.

The front coilover spring is located at the bottom. It should be at the top away from the moving suspension components. It must hit at full extension. there is a reason every strut has the sprind at the top including similar setups like Naake and Ridetech.

The reason I don’t use factory endlinks is that at my lowered ride height, they would bind, and constantly break.. ford, moog.. did the rod ends.. as for the front coilover inverted.. I did that so the adjusters are up top, shock company has confirmed the shock can be ran inverted.

The rear shock mount has been braced as well.. hard to see in photo on a phone.. I think Tapatalk scales the photos down?

The shock mount was fully welded, and then braced in the rear.. then sprayed with whatever paint I had on hand..

I’m the MEDC guy..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information