Thread: Here I go again

Here I go again

So I'm having a hard time trying to pinpoint why my car won't even crank. When I turn the key all I get is a "click" that's it. I replaced the starter and still nothing. I'm getting a little frustrated because in the past month I've put about 2000$ worth of parts into this car getting it back in top to shape and I feel like I'm chasing. I fix one thing another thing goes bad.. I'm praying that someone can help me on here.. I'm feeling that it's a bad connection somewhere but obviously the starter is getting power cuz that's the clock I hear is it engaging..I'm just totally lost.. help would be more than appreciated. I love my car like I wouldn't trade it for a Lamborghini. Nothing could separate me from it but I really need it reliable and running...thankyou for whoever has any knowledge to pass along..

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Besides the starter, what else have You diagnosed? What recent work have You done? We will need a little more info...have You confirmed that the engine turns over (not seized) with a ratchet on the crank bolt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sounds like a battery issue. I would have the battery and alternator tested.
    2003 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE
    5.4 2v swap, BBK 78mm Throttle body/Plenum, Hardball'r Intake Manifold, tuned by Mo's Speed Shop

Well not that scared me cause no I haven't checked to see if the engine is seized but it was driving just fine earlier in the day. And I've replaced all the spark plugs fuel injectors lifters intake manifold gaskets valve cover gaskets water pump radiator fan coolant and some other minor things. But I have all aux lights as well as headlights my sound system works everything is fine besides just hearing a "click" when I turn the key to start it.

Horn work? Headlights work? If no, wiggle the main TOP harness above THE blower motor..

I would check all the fuses in the battery junction box for power on both ends

Is the battery fully charged?
    The twins2.3 whipple/aluminatorVortech V-2 lots of goodies

Current marauders
    04 DTR totaled JUST NOW starting to part out 7-21-2021 https://youtu.be/REUxjP1BVpg

04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop Whipple Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop V2 Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Converted
    03 DBP Light Flint #122
    03 DBP Dark Charcoal #232
    03 Silver Birch 300b Light Flint Going to fix er up
    03 Black 300a
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal moonroof in the works

04 Heaton Swapped DTR
    Joe's Wrecked DTR rebuild thread

Smack the starter with a hammer too,...
    The twins2.3 whipple/aluminatorVortech V-2 lots of goodies

Current marauders
    04 DTR totaled JUST NOW starting to part out 7-21-2021 https://youtu.be/REUxjP1BVpg

04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop Whipple Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop V2 Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Converted
    03 DBP Light Flint #122
    03 DBP Dark Charcoal #232
    03 Silver Birch 300b Light Flint Going to fix er up
    03 Black 300a
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal moonroof in the works

04 Heaton Swapped DTR
    Joe's Wrecked DTR rebuild thread

If you need a battery, I have a NEW Motorcraft BXT650 that has never been installed. A click indicates poor amperage OR a bad engine ground or battery ground. Troubleshooting this would be so easy if it were still safely in my driveway.
    '04 Silver Marauder w/ sunroof - HID lighting, JL Audio / Eclipse DVD/NAV/iPod/camera, 4.10's, 2" drop, Progard Bumper Baffle, Delete tips, Billet Pedals, BC4E dead pedal, Lidio Tune, Mach1 chin spoiler, K&N CAI, TCE lines, Super40's, tinted tails, SS Inserts, Heinous Control Arms, Real oil gauge, lighted door handles. Currently installing Eaton M112.

2004 Mercury Marauder
    Born March 2004, adopted October 2005. Sold January 2012, adopted AGAIN January 2016
    2,187 of 3,214
    997 in Silver Birch
    448 with light flint interior
    304 with heated seats
    336 with sunroof

Could be a bad starter, I read it’s new, but it wouldn’t be the first time a new starter goes bad.
    2003 Black - sold, back again, and sold
    2003 DBP/DC - #153 Whipple 3.4 (permanent garage art)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 36 (sold)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 205 (sold)
    2004 Black - Trilogy #43
    2003 Black - shitbox (sold)
    2004 DTR - shitbox #2

I bet if you peeled back some of the insulation on the battery wire at the starter you would see green..Been there, replaced that.

It’s getting voltage but I bet not enough to actually engage the starter. Volt meter would single out just about any culprit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Well thankyou all for your input but I figured out the culprit. It was my neutral safety switch. The gears in it were totally gone. Got a new one lined it all up bolted it on and was up and running again.. onto the whole suspension upgrade!

Thread Information