Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: voltage issue with A/C?

voltage issue with A/C?

Ok, so im posting this here because CVN is having issues with new post. Maybe someone here can help me resolve this. Its not a marauder but a 2005 crown vic lx sport.
    Issue im having is that when driving with A/C off, all works great and normal like it should. When driving with A/C on and I come to a stop at a light, voltage drops from 14 to 13 in one shot and car some surges/hesitates. It rapidly goes back up to 14volts. This happens everytime I come to a stop.

Is this issue related more to compressor problem or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by crownvic05 View Post
    Ok, so im posting this here because CVN is having issues with new post. Maybe someone here can help me resolve this. Its not a marauder but a 2005 crown vic lx sport.
    Issue im having is that when driving with A/C off, all works great and normal like it should. When driving with A/C on and I come to a stop at a light, voltage drops from 14 to 13 in one shot and car some surges/hesitates. It rapidly goes back up to 14volts. This happens everytime I come to a stop.

Is this issue related more to compressor problem or something else?
    The A/C compressor might be locked up. With the A/C off the compressor clutch free wheels. With the A/C on the clutch is engaged and if the compressor is locked up it might be causing the problem.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Does it do it in park? Vs in gear?

Pop the hood and check battery connections, how well does it idle ?
    The twins2.3 whipple/aluminatorVortech V-2 lots of goodies

Current marauders
    04 DTR totaled JUST NOW starting to part out 7-21-2021 https://youtu.be/REUxjP1BVpg

04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop Whipple Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop V2 Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Converted
    03 DBP Light Flint #122
    03 DBP Dark Charcoal #232
    03 Silver Birch 300b Light Flint Going to fix er up
    03 Black 300a
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal moonroof in the works

04 Heaton Swapped DTR
    Joe's Wrecked DTR rebuild thread

wouldn't a locked compressor cause bigger problems like maybe snapping belts or unable to start car?

What happens if you put the car in gear, foot on the brake, THEN turn on the A/C?
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

wouldn't a locked compressor cause bigger problems like maybe snapping belts or unable to start car?
    It's possible. You need to do some more PD.

Could also be bad / loose / corroded + & - connections.
    Last edited by fastblackmerc; 07-11-2018 at 10:46 AM.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Does it still do burnouts?
    Problem solved!
    The twins2.3 whipple/aluminatorVortech V-2 lots of goodies

Current marauders
    04 DTR totaled JUST NOW starting to part out 7-21-2021 https://youtu.be/REUxjP1BVpg

04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop Whipple Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop V2 Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Converted
    03 DBP Light Flint #122
    03 DBP Dark Charcoal #232
    03 Silver Birch 300b Light Flint Going to fix er up
    03 Black 300a
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal moonroof in the works

04 Heaton Swapped DTR
    Joe's Wrecked DTR rebuild thread

Sounds like a weak alternator not keeping up with the draw of the A/C. Mine dips to 12 flat with A/C, stereo, lights, and perhaps lower yet with anything else. Been that way for a couple of years and never once failed to start even with my hi torque starter. Mine doesn’t hesitate at all but gives off a neat cam surging idle the more I stress the voltage LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

So when in parked and ac on, everything is good. If i put the car in drive with ac on, everything is good. When i put car in reverse with ac on, volt dips from 14.2 to 13 then moves back up slowly. With ac on everytime i hit a red light, volt dips to 13 and slowlyback up to 14. With ac off, none of this happens.

So all of this issue happens with ac on. Only time ac and voltage is fine is when in parked.

So when in parked and ac on, everything is good. If i put the car in drive with ac on, everything is good. When i put car in reverse with ac on, volt dips from 14.2 to 13 then moves back up slowly. With ac on everytime i hit a red light, volt dips to 13 and slowlyback up to 14. With ac off, none of this happens.

So all of this issue happens with ac on. Only time ac and voltage is fine is when in parked.

Car starts? A/C blowing cold? No strange noises? I think you're good. It's a machine - don't let it drive you nuts.
    Current Garage:

2005 Mustang GT Premium
    2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crewcab 4WD
    2015 Triumph Trophy SE

“You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
    Love like you'll never be hurt,
    Sing like there's nobody listening,
    And live like it's heaven on earth.”
    William W. Purkey

There's a function in the PCM that's supposed to goose the RPM slightly when the compressor is commanded on to mitigate the additional load. Try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and see if that clears anything. Other than that, I'm outta idears.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Drives me nuts because this is not how car was running until 2 weeks now. So something is going to happen eventually.

Drives me nuts because this is not how car was running until 2 weeks now. So something is going to happen eventually.
    You may not discover the issue until an obvious failure takes place. Then, it will be easier to diagnose and repair - no need in stressing out about something you really don't have control over at the moment. Just let the situation develop and just kick back with your favorite beverage....
    Current Garage:

2005 Mustang GT Premium
    2015 Triumph Trophy SE

William W. Purkey

Quote Originally Posted by Invective View Post
    You may not discover the issue until an obvious failure takes place. Then, it will be easier to diagnose and repair - no need in stressing out about something you really don't have control over at the moment. Just let the situation develop and just kick back with your favorite beverage....

Like at night on the side of the road?

He has plenty of control right now. Diagnosing is typically easier in the comfort of your garage. With tools.

SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Quote Originally Posted by justbob View Post
    Like at night on the side of the road?

He has plenty of control right now. Diagnosing is typically easier in the comfort of your garage. With tools.

Philosophers through the ages have grappled with the age old question: Why do machines sometimes do weird stuff? Their collective conclusion: @$#%&*%&$#@$!
    Current Garage:

2005 Mustang GT Premium
    2015 Triumph Trophy SE

William W. Purkey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information