Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AC and master cylinder

AC and master cylinder

So, next week I am getting the car supercharged. The deal we made included him installing a new AC compressor (the ac works, but when the compressor is on, it sounds like a Mack truck) and master cylinder (leaking). My question is does anyone have any recommendations as to what brand to use for either part? I saw the Motorcraft brand compressor at Rock Auto for $369, which was double the no name remanufactured ones. Although it said "new".

"RescuRauder", Born on 09/02/2003 & rescued on 04/05/2013. #236 of 3214 and #62 of 1237 in Black. CAI, Some kind of tune, Kooks Headers, X-pipe w/Hi-Flow cats, Magnaflow mufflers, Resonators removed, 4.10's, Metco U&L CA and Watts link, Drilled & slotted rotors, now BOOSTED!! Eaton Swapped 12/29/19!!
    Sold! 1986 Mustang GT Vert, Black, 5spd, new short block, Powerheads, Crower 15511, gears, exhaust etc.

1968 Ford (Galaxie) XL fastback, 390, factory buckets & auto on floor
    2011 Shelby GT500, Kona Blue with SVT Performance Pkg & Navigation, VMP tuned ~550rwhp/550rwtq. Finally Blown!

OEM.......

You should go oem like MuscleMerc says also the aluminum accumulator and orifice tube.

Do you still have the 4:30s in that car?

Quote Originally Posted by mm svt View Post
    You should go oem like MuscleMerc says also the aluminum accumulator and orifice tube.

Do you still have the 4:30s in that car?
    Actually, they are 4:10's. The P/O wasn't for sure. I thought they were 4:30's
    until I checked it out myself. I just forgot to update the sig.

"RescuRauder", Born on 09/02/2003 & rescued on 04/05/2013. #236 of 3214 and #62 of 1237 in Black. CAI, Some kind of tune, Kooks Headers, X-pipe w/Hi-Flow cats, Magnaflow mufflers, Resonators removed, 4.10's, Metco U&L CA and Watts link, Drilled & slotted rotors, now BOOSTED!! Eaton Swapped 12/29/19!!
    Sold! 1986 Mustang GT Vert, Black, 5spd, new short block, Powerheads, Crower 15511, gears, exhaust etc.

2011 Shelby GT500, Kona Blue with SVT Performance Pkg & Navigation, VMP tuned ~550rwhp/550rwtq. Finally Blown!

Motorcraft on both counts.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

I agree with above and use OEM. Those parts aren't replaced that often so whats an extra couple hundred bucks.
    You "feel" the difference because you want to "feel" the difference. Since you just spent money on the upgrade you "have" to feel the difference

I'm looking to eliminate the double pump process I have to follow right now to get the pedal hard

2004 300A Procharger #0010 D1X
    2003 300A Procharger #0017 D1SC (SOLD. Last I heard, it was in Washington State)

Hmmm...I was looking at replacing the 4WD transfer case motor on my Ranger a few years back when it stopped working. The Dorman part is identical to the Motorcraft part at about a third of the price and Dorman is a supplier to Motorcraft (and others). Mechanic/Shop Owner (ex Ford Tech) ended up rebuilding it for $50.

For what it's worth.
    Current Garage:

2005 Mustang GT Premium
    2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crewcab 4WD
    2015 Triumph Trophy SE

“You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
    Love like you'll never be hurt,
    Sing like there's nobody listening,
    And live like it's heaven on earth.”
    William W. Purkey

I’ve had 4.30’s when mine was an auto w/Trilogy. Both them and 4.10’s are good street gears to keep out of boost and still pull hard, but not too much on launch with decent tires or highway RPMs. Not much of a difference really between them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Quote Originally Posted by Invective View Post
    Hmmm...I was looking at replacing the 4WD transfer case motor on my Ranger a few years back when it stopped working. The Dorman part is identical to the Motorcraft part at about a third of the price and Dorman is a supplier to Motorcraft (and others). Mechanic/Shop Owner (ex Ford Tech) ended up rebuilding it for $50.

For what it's worth.
    I have heard of Dorman. When I was redoing the motor on my 86 GT a few years back, I went through two "rebuilt or remanufactured" distributors only to have both fail and the last one left me stranded on the road. So, I opted for the more expensive but more reliable MSD NEW distributor and it has been awesome since. So, I don't want to have to spend more than I need to on these parts for the Marauder, but, I don't want to have to mess with them again! At Rock Auto, there is no "Dorman" or the like that I have heard of for the replacement parts, However, they do have a replacement AC compressor that is Motorcraft for about $50 dollars less than the Ford dealers I have checked with, including White Lake Autonation etc.

Quote Originally Posted by blazen71 View Post
    I agree with above and use OEM. Those parts aren't replaced that often so whats an extra couple hundred bucks.
    See above....

Quote Originally Posted by sflrainmaker01 View Post
    I have heard of Dorman. When I was redoing the motor on my 86 GT a few years back, I went through two "rebuilt or remanufactured" distributors only to have both fail and the last one left me stranded on the road. So, I opted for the more expensive but more reliable MSD NEW distributor and it has been awesome since. So, I don't want to have to spend more than I need to on these parts for the Marauder, but, I don't want to have to mess with them again! At Rock Auto, there is no "Dorman" or the like that I have heard of for the replacement parts, However, they do have a replacement AC compressor that is Motorcraft for about $50 dollars less than the Ford dealers I have checked with, including White Lake Autonation etc.

See above....

Dorman is OEM - I won't insult your reading comprehension.
    Current Garage:

2005 Mustang GT Premium
    2015 Triumph Trophy SE

William W. Purkey

I won't use Dorman parts for anything that is related to safety or drive-ability.

Too many horror stories and my own experience.

Anyone remember the "thermal" events with Dorman radiator fan assemblies?
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Dorman is OEM - I won't insult your reading comprehension.
    Do you have any proof Dorman is OEM for Ford, or any examples of which parts?
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    Daily Driver

90% sure dorman is strictly aftermarket.
    Some of their stuff is great, some either doesn't fit or fails in record time.
    I reccomend oem unless you absolutely cannot afford it. Or unavailable.

Quote Originally Posted by RF Overlord View Post
    Do you have any proof Dorman is OEM for Ford, or any examples of which parts?
    Nothing other than what my tech stated. Are they not?

From their website:

About Dorman Products

"New Since 1918", Dorman Products is a leading supplier of original equipment dealer "exclusive" automotive and heavy duty replacement parts, automotive hardware, brake parts, and fasteners to the Automotive and Heavy Vehicle Aftermarkets. New to the Aftermarket is our exciting niche allowing us to provide hundreds of new products to our customers and end-users each month and thousands each year.

A play on words? If I'm wrong I certainly apologize. All this time I thought Dorman was an OEM supplier.
    Current Garage:

2005 Mustang GT Premium
    2015 Triumph Trophy SE

William W. Purkey

Dorman Products is a leading supplier of original equipment dealer "exclusive" automotive and heavy duty replacement parts, automotive hardware, brake parts, and fasteners to the Automotive and Heavy Vehicle Aftermarkets.
    I'm not saying you're wrong, but that statement is somewhat ambiguous. What exactly is an "original equipment dealer exclusive replacement part"? Does that mean some parts in Motorcraft boxes are actually supplied by Dorman? At this point I agree with Grimrepairman: Some of their stuff is great, some either doesn't fit or fails in record time.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    Daily Driver

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information