Thread: Cooling mod questions

Cooling mod questions

I remember reading about a"cooling mod" somewhere. Has to do with the rear cylinders getting hot? Now I have the engine out for a rebuild, and I can't find info on it. Can someone direct me on this? Is it needed in a stock vehicle? (I will get a tune) How to do it, and where to get parts would be helpful. Rebuild goes in next week.
    2003 Marauder... the gentleman's hot rod.

You know what I like best about most people? Their dogs.

Google cooling mod mercurymarauder.net, it should you get the posts you’re looking for.

Righteous Indignation
    03 300A
    4055 of 7838
    4054 of 7093 in Black.
    Born 8/23/02
    Adopted in 1/15
    SOLD

Going from memory: Prior to the revised cylinder heads being issued for the 2003 model year these motors experienced cylinder overheating on the #7 and #8 cylinders. With the revised heads, only #8 cylinder (port or driver's side) would/could overheat. The following states differently:

Known Problems:

Coolant Flow (cylinder head) – 2003-2004 DOHC heads have a flawed casting and coolant flow design on the first revision of the head that causes coolant to dead end in the back of the driver side head and causes the 7 & 8 cylinders to run hotter than the others. This results in a ticking sound that occurs when the valve guides and/or seats warp due to running too hot and the ticking itself is the sound of the valves not seating correctly and tapping because of it. The problem is more prominent on the Cobra and Mach 1 due to their high performance nature and tendency to be driven hard.

This problem was also found on the 1999-2001 4.6L DOHC Mustang Cobras.

https://fordcobraengines.com/ford-mo...r-differences/

Mo's Speed Shop performed this upgrade to my low mileage car recently - cheap insurance IMO.
    Current Garage:

2005 Mustang GT Premium
    2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crewcab 4WD
    2015 Triumph Trophy SE

“You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
    Love like you'll never be hurt,
    Sing like there's nobody listening,
    And live like it's heaven on earth.”
    William W. Purkey

Thanks. Not too keen on the idea of trimming the intake. Wouldn't want to screw that up. Have to think on it.
    2003 Marauder... the gentleman's hot rod.

You know what I like best about most people? Their dogs.

The cooling mod can be done behind the heads as well as from on the top. I have two for the back, brand new Ford parts, that I don’t need. I’d let them go cheap, looks like these: https://www.svtperformance.com/forum...ng-mod.823149/
    Last edited by justgod; 09-13-2018 at 04:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
    I remember reading about a"cooling mod" somewhere. Has to do with the rear cylinders getting hot? Now I have the engine out for a rebuild, and I can't find info on it. Can someone direct me on this? Is it needed in a stock vehicle? (I will get a tune) How to do it, and where to get parts would be helpful. Rebuild goes in next week.
    Here you go:

https://www.mercurymarauder.net/foru...d.php?t=100702

Here are some interesting paragraphs from the linked article.

Oil Filter Suggestion – It is recommended that you use Motorcraft oil filters. They have a drain back valve that keeps oil from draining back to the pan when the engine is off. Most aftermarket filters do not. This prevents knocking on start up and eventual damage from it.

Oil Suggestion – Use only 5w20 weight oil if that’s what it call’s for. The tolerances are very tight in the valvetrain and any heavier of an oil can eventually cause valvetrain problems because the hydraulic components stay pumped up and never bleed down like they should when the engine is running.

Quote Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
    Thanks. Not too keen on the idea of trimming the intake. Wouldn't want to screw that up. Have to think on it.
    With the engine out it is easy to install the cooling mod using the coolant ports on the back of the cylinder heads.
    2020 Ford Ranger STX DFI Turbo 2.3L 10 speed Auto
    2017 Ford Fusion Sport DFI Twin Turbo 2.7L V6 6 speed Auto (14.000 ET bone stock in 82 degree heat)
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 Hatchback 4bbl 5 speed manual (525 HP 363 Dart block/AFR heads with Magnum 6 speed in the works)
    1984 Mustang GT 2.3 Turbo Convertible FI. 5 speed manual
    1966 427 Cobra (ERA) 468 all Aluminum FE 2x4bbl 5 speed manual

SOLD : 2003 Mercury Marauder FI. 4 speed Auto
    w/Crower Cams & Springs, +1mm SS valves, mild port job on the cylinder heads.
    Extrude honed intake w/PHP spacer.
    Kooks Headers w/2.5" High Flow Cats & X-Pipe, Magnaflow mufflers, OEM tailpipes w/Megs Tips
    B&M Trans cooler w/fan, Level 10 Shift Kit, Art Carr Hughes Deep Sump Trans Pan,
    SVO Rearend Girdle, Redline Gear lube; OEM 3.55s
    'Real Gauges' + matching Trans Temp, Oil Temp, Water Temp, Fuel Pressure, Vacuum/Boost Gauge
    Built: 10/15/02 Bought: 12/16/02 Sold: 10/15/18

This is what I used on my Silver:

https://www.lethalperformance.com/mm...oling-mod.html

I have a brand new MuscleMerc head cooling mod kit for sale. I purchased new and never installed asking $100 plus shipping. PM me if anyone is interested. I'm also going to post this in the parts section.

Thread Information