Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: String of bad luck. Bad valve too?

String of bad luck. Bad valve too?

Just sold my daily driver '96 Jeep Cherokee to a friend for $50. Rust finally started eating the electric grounds. It was thoroughly shot. Anyway I pulled my '04 Marauder out of the garage, put plates on it and went looking for a new daily driver.

Picked up a stone and busted the windshield. The next day a coil went. A week later it throws a check engine light. I notice a light stumble in the idle. Seems like a bad coil but less severe.

Shop tells me I have low compression on #6. (180 psi across the board while #6 is at 140 psi).

They're telling me $1,500 to R/R engine and $750 for a reman head. They also said there's a TSB on the valves. I hadn't heard this before.

Car is stone stock with 73k miles. I've put 3k miles on it since 2009.

Thoughts? Opinions?
    "No one is useless if they can still be used as a bad example." ~ SSgt. Miller.

"Loud pipes lose rights."

You don't drive the car enough. It's committing suicide!?!? I bought my Mustang from its original owners in the spring of 2011 with just over 6k miles on the odo. It sat in a heated garage all of its life under a cover. Car looked and smelled brand new. One glaring problem: It kept killing its battery and the dealers and Ford claimed they didn't have a clue - I bought the paperweight for $18k, a steal.

A bit of research revealed a small number of Ford products with the newly introduced 'smart modules' would not power down and reset correctly. The 'smart module' keeps power going to various accessories for up to a minute after the key is turned off. Turned out that a 'hard reset' that consisted of disconnecting the battery negative first and reconnecting the battery negative last after about 5 minutes would solve most of the problems. The other big battery killer was the new radio that wasn't powering down correctly even though it had been turned off manually.

Shortly after solving this, the leatherette door upholstery began delaminating and falling over the armrest. After that, the gauges began to fail - both reported issues with the first gen S197 - my car experienced ALL of the known issues. The final big issue was a faulty fuel tank that was replaced during a recall under its original owners (wouldn't vent correctly). They were all corrected and the car has been trouble free for a long time now. Most people should know about the two piece sparkplug debacle from this period - my car still has its original plugs at 28k miles from new.

Long winded? Yeah, but the mobile auto detailer came out and began cleaning up my cars and motorcycles yesterday and finished today - I'm happy.
    Last edited by Invective; 08-09-2018 at 03:29 PM.
    Current Garage:

2005 Mustang GT Premium
    2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crewcab 4WD
    2015 Triumph Trophy SE

“You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
    Love like you'll never be hurt,
    Sing like there's nobody listening,
    And live like it's heaven on earth.”
    William W. Purkey

Bad valve? If that was the case your compression would be a ton less.

Drive it, get rid of the carbon build up and drive it.

Or sell it to me
    The twins2.3 whipple/aluminatorVortech V-2 lots of goodies

Current marauders
    04 DTR totaled JUST NOW starting to part out 7-21-2021 https://youtu.be/REUxjP1BVpg

04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop Whipple Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop V2 Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Converted
    03 DBP Light Flint #122
    03 DBP Dark Charcoal #232
    03 Silver Birch 300b Light Flint Going to fix er up
    03 Black 300a
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal moonroof in the works

04 Heaton Swapped DTR
    Joe's Wrecked DTR rebuild thread

Do an "ITALIAN TUNEUP"......and......forgedab oudit !!
    Last edited by Marauderjack; 08-10-2018 at 06:33 AM.
    No Marauder

Farmer John, how you been? It has been a long time my friend. Sorry to hear about your problems empty that old gas out of the tank put fresh 93 in her and ride daddy ride.
    Saorsa gu Brath
    (Freedon Forever)

Si vis pacem para bellum
    (If you want peace, prepare for war)

Μολὼν λαβέ
    (Come and take them)

Stann saam of sterf allen
    (Stand together or die alone)

Audentis Fortuna Iuvat
    (Fortune Favors the Brave)

Antes morrer livres que em paz sujeitos
    (Rather die as free men than be enslaved in peace)

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants alike. It is the tree's natural manure." -Thomas Jefferson

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

The Constitution guarantees our rights as American citizens, the 2nd Amendment protects those rights

"THE BLACK BOMBER"

That's not a lot of miles. That compression may increase when those idle rings find their home. 50K on my '04 but I run it once a month to operating temperature to keep the moving parts happy. I hope your compression issue is just a dry cylinder.
    '04 Silver Marauder w/ sunroof - HID lighting, JL Audio / Eclipse DVD/NAV/iPod/camera, 4.10's, 2" drop, Progard Bumper Baffle, Delete tips, Billet Pedals, BC4E dead pedal, Lidio Tune, Mach1 chin spoiler, K&N CAI, TCE lines, Super40's, tinted tails, SS Inserts, Heinous Control Arms, Real oil gauge, lighted door handles. Currently installing Eaton M112.

2004 Mercury Marauder
    Born March 2004, adopted October 2005. Sold January 2012, adopted AGAIN January 2016
    2,187 of 3,214
    997 in Silver Birch
    448 with light flint interior
    304 with heated seats
    336 with sunroof

Quote Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
    Farmer John, how you been? It has been a long time my friend. Sorry to hear about your problems empty that old gas out of the tank put fresh 93 in her and ride daddy ride.
    I've been busy. Insanely busy. Local town of 1,500 people is building a new 37 million dollar school and my property taxes went up 137%. On 985 acres, that's a pile of money. This project also diminished greatly what I can charge for land rent as well as what it can sell for.

As much as I would love to give the car an "Italian tune-up", with my luck I'd really bust it up. I figured a bad valve would be on a rear cylinder since that tends to be where the heat builds up...as I understand it.

It doesn't get driven enough and it does need to go to a better home. Selling stuff isn't easy for me since I live in the middle of no-where am generally very busy.

I have exceeded 100k miles on two wheels though. Just got back from motorcycle camping tour of the plains states with an emphasis on Nebraska and the sand hill region. Seen a lot of battlefields, old west history and stuff. Incredible time. Still plan on hitting Georgia and the coast this month.

Quote Originally Posted by BAD MERC View Post
    That's not a lot of miles. That compression may increase when those idle rings find their home. 50K on my '04 but I run it once a month to operating temperature to keep the moving parts happy. I hope your compression issue is just a dry cylinder.
    I run mine once/year. Get it up to operating temperature and go for a 100 mile ride on backroads. If I put plates on it then it goes for a tank or two (300 miles or so).

Shop is convinced it's a valve issue though. Seems crazy to me. I haven't beat the car but it's certainly not been excessively babied either.

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot281 View Post
    Just sold my daily driver '96 Jeep Cherokee to a friend for $50. Rust finally started eating the electric grounds. It was thoroughly shot. Anyway I pulled my '04 Marauder out of the garage, put plates on it and went looking for a new daily driver.

Picked up a stone and busted the windshield. The next day a coil went. A week later it throws a check engine light. I notice a light stumble in the idle. Seems like a bad coil but less severe.

Shop tells me I have low compression on #6. (180 psi across the board while #6 is at 140 psi).

They're telling me $1,500 to R/R engine and $750 for a reman head. They also said there's a TSB on the valves. I hadn't heard this before.

Car is stone stock with 73k miles. I've put 3k miles on it since 2009.

Thoughts? Opinions?

I would think the compression would be a lot lower. I have the same stumble/rough idle and cylinder 8 in my car is around 90 psi. Have they done a leak down test to prove out the valve is the issue? Figured out mine is the exhaust valve after the leak down test. If the stumble continues the car will throw a CEL light for misfire detected at startup. Try swapping coils around and see what happens.

Joe
    2004 SB
    4.10's and a tune
    More to come

My compression was in the 80s on cylinder 8 when I had an issue...20psi difference is almost certainly not a valve issue.

Put some seafoam in it and run it hard.

Quote Originally Posted by crownvic97 View Post
    My compression was in the 80s on cylinder 8 when I had an issue...20psi difference is almost certainly not a valve issue.

Put some seafoam in it and run it hard.

The difference in mine is 40 psi. The fuel had Seafoam in it when the problem developed. The car has always been stored with a full tank of non-ethanol fuel in it.

It was a bad valve (sorry, no pics of it). Car is done and runs fine. Shop asked me to bring it back in a few hours and get the bill paid.

HVAC is in-op though. Air currently come though every vent and changing selection doesn't seem to do anything.

Is there something involved in the engine removal/reinstall that would cause the HVAC to quit working? I had new seals put in it a few years ago and it ran fine when I took it into the shop two weeks ago. Thanks.

Vacuum line. Probably disconnected at the vacuum rail mounted in the center of the firewall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Quote Originally Posted by justbob View Post
    Vacuum line. Probably disconnected at the vacuum rail mounted in the center of the firewall.

Nailed it. Move to the front of the class.

I had the HVAC controller removed and new O-rings installed in '13 or '14 and the shop had a jumper hose installed which only allowed it to run on vent. I haven't driven it enough since then to actually notice it. Lol.

Now drive it!

SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information