Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Regarding a new coolant system design

Regarding a new coolant system design

I am in the end process of installing an 04 Mach 1 engine into my 09 vic. I figured you guys know this engine in this body even though its not a marauder.

I am redesigning the coolant system and was hoping for some advice on my design. All 4 top head coolant ports run to a collector/thermostat housing near the radiator. The rear head cooling mods tee together and into the heater core then back to the waterpump.

My concern is weather the temp of the coolant at the thermostat will reach opening temp without a delay compared to the coolant in the engine. The delay being caused by the fact the radiation will have to travel through basically static fluid to reach the stat. I may be over thinking it.

the heater core feed will just draw from the lower head ports and go through the core then back to the block/waterpump. Ive installed the oem temp sensor in this line pre heater core obviously, to give me an instant temp since it flows full time. here is a very detailed insanly professional computer aided chart showing my system. I didnt label anything so ask if you need to.

thanks in advance for any advice given
    Attached Images Attached Images

The marauder setup uses a bypass system to get coolant to the stat. In your case, just get the ON3 delete kit and go

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    The marauder setup uses a bypass system to get coolant to the stat. In your case, just get the ON3 delete kit and go
    Advice I may should have taken.

Is this a street car?
    That is an awfully exotic setup, something that I would use if I raced the car at Watkins Glen professionally and for money.
    Ex Panther Owner

Quote Originally Posted by massacre View Post
    Is this a street car?
    That is an awfully exotic setup, something that I would use if I raced the car at Watkins Glen professionally and for money.
    Leaving well enough alone isn't my strong suit. I started to amass parts and found myself wanting to try something new. It's not a race car, but it does have the cop chip. And now a 5 speed as well.

So it's more of a spectacle than a necessity?
    Ex Panther Owner

More of an "I don't conform to society" Frankenstein of a car. But I still want it to be reliable.

The good news is I've had 2 hours of idle time and while it does take a bit longer to warm up, it stays rock solid @ 202 degrees. I actually took my maiden just now and the 4v and manual swap is a success. Temp didn't move.
    I still need to get a tune from Marty but it runs fairly well otherwise. Idle hangs like it has a vacuum leak but I smoked it and found no leak. I am running an 09 pcm so it is drive by wire.

Any pics?
    Where is your thermostat located? If you use a bypass it will heat up in a normal amount of time. Also 202 seems high to me
    Ex Panther Owner

The thermostat is inside the manifold/collector. It really is similar to the on3 minus the temp sensor and heater core outlets
    I don't have a pic, but will try to snap some. Built it out of aluminum. And regarding the temp, the oem stat is 195.
    I'm not saying this is perfect or even finished, but it's in the ballpark for being a somewhat original idea.

I guess a bit of an inexpensive version of the on3. I didn't use AN fittings and whatnot. Just good Ole hose clamps.
    I actually bought the inline thermostat housing from jegs
    and welded the 4 5/8 nipples onto it. Imagine a raw aluminum on3 with 4 nipples where the 2 are.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackdombles View Post
    The thermostat is inside the manifold/collector. It really is similar to the on3 minus the temp sensor and heater core outlets
    I don't have a pic, but will try to snap some. Built it out of aluminum. And regarding the temp, the oem stat is 195.
    I'm not saying this is perfect or even finished, but it's in the ballpark for being a somewhat original idea.
    Many ppl have used the 4 ports at the top of the heads, not so original.
    The whole point is for the engine to run cooler, so why run it at 200 degrees?
    Seems like you decided to make 4 hoses do the job of 2 hoses with zero temp reduction, essentially making a less efficient cooling system.
    This is going solely by your description, since you haven't posted any pics.
    Is this with stock water pump and radiator?
    What are your goals with this system?
    Ex Panther Owner

The whole point is for the engine to run cooler, so why run it at 200 degrees?
    Seems like you decided to make 4 hoses do the job of 2 hoses with zero temp reduction, essentially making a less efficient cooling system.
    This is going solely by your description, since you haven't posted any pics.
    Is this with stock water pump and radiator?
    What are your goals with this system?
    Nah the whole point is that I have installed an 04 mach 1 motor and trans into an 09 vic for fun. I have no crossover tube that exits on the correct side and you people want my first born for a marauder COT used with rust and spiders. Also had no marauder thermostat housing.

I wasnt trying to lower temps. I was trying to come up with a less expensive alternative for a part I saw on the internet. I enjoy building things and the R and D process of a project.

Stock waterpump and radiator.

My goal is to drive my car. I was simply finally at official startup and drive day , and was bored at work, so I thought I would get some advice on weather you folks thought my design would work without a bypass.

The good news is, it works. Again this is exactly the first day it has ran and tested. It is not an end result, but the starting point for my project.

And thank you for all your advice. It has been very helpful.
    Last edited by Mackdombles; 04-20-2017 at 08:04 PM.

I said somewhat. I was referring more to the 4 port collector and housing.
    But thanks for keeping me in line.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackdombles View Post
    I said somewhat. I was referring more to the 4 port collector and housing.
    But thanks for keeping me in line.
    You are taking it the wrong way, nobody is keeping anyone in line, many have made 4-into-1 manifolds for their modulars. You obviously were unaware of this fact, just making you aware of it.
    Name of the thread is "new coolant system design" but it's not really new at all. Again just letting you know.
    Ex Panther Owner

Thank you for your advice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information