Thread: Injector Circuit Malfuntion

Injector Circuit Malfuntion

I'm having an intermittent issue with injector #4 throwing a P0204 code which eventually triggers a P0304. I put a noid light on it during the issue and it indicated wide open throttle while the engine was idling. Then the injector will simply go back to normal operation without any changes. Driving down the highway I can smell it dumping fuel during the malfunction. Take it up to wide open throttle and the engine runs normally. Just super fat during low throttle and intermittently.

Couple background details. I've only owned the car a few months and it has 111000 miles. 06 Jun-02 production date. Ford replaced the engine October 2007 at 53308 miles after loss of oil pressure wiped out the rod bearings. Engine assembly was 3W3Z-6006-ABRM. which I think tells me it was a long block and they reused the intake.

Also not sure if related, but the speedometer needle will occasionally and randomly drop/fluctuate and then return to normal operation. The two have not coincided and the speedo issue is much more rare.

Has anyone experienced this before? Thinking maybe mechanic damaged the wiring harness when they replaced the engine. Looking for some input before I start cutting the harness apart to find a chafed wire.

My understanding is that the injector fires when the computer grounds the circuit. If so, I'm thinking that an intermittent ground short could cause the issue. Problem is I haven't found it by moving and wiggling the harness.

Thanks in advance.

Wiggle the main harness right behind the drivers side head where it chafes on the wiper cowl bracket. Do this as you monitor your noid light. Very very common issue of rubbing at that location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

If you cant find the issue, remove the injector harness and give it a good look.

Maybe the 2 valve crown vic and MGM injector harness is the same?
    The twins2.3 whipple/aluminatorVortech V-2 lots of goodies

Current marauders
    04 DTR totaled JUST NOW starting to part out 7-21-2021 https://youtu.be/REUxjP1BVpg

04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop Whipple Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop V2 Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Converted
    03 DBP Light Flint #122
    03 DBP Dark Charcoal #232
    03 Silver Birch 300b Light Flint Going to fix er up
    03 Black 300a
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal moonroof in the works

04 Heaton Swapped DTR
    Joe's Wrecked DTR rebuild thread

Not the same.....

Pulled it into the garage after throwing the code on the drive. Spent an hour poking, prodding, twisting, wiggling, and jiggling- not even a hiccup.

Afterward, I drove it for fifteen miles and it never did it once....wth

I have some spare injector harness plugs from a junkyard aviator. If I make a harness extension with two female and one male connector, can I put the noid in series so that I can drive it on all 8 cylinders and watch? Not sure if that would screw up the injector operation?

Really want to get this figured out before I take the cowl out and cut the tape and cover off the harness.

Welp, I bit the bullet and pulled the wiper cowl to revealed this.....

It looks like Ford left the harness on the EGR tube when they replaced the engine under warranty. It is melted into the EGR shield bad enough that I'll have to take the harness out to splice or repair it. Anyone have a spare harness to sell cheap, haha?

Was the harness routed improperly after the engine change or is this where its supposed to go?
    Attached Images Attached Images

routing harness

going from memory, the harness should be farther back toward the firewall. I will look at mine in the am....
    BUCKWHEAT 03 MM 300A-August, '02 mfgr, black w/ blue metallic clearcoat, 94,000 miles, Texid stroker 5.0, #15 Kool-Aide w/ SnakeBite porting, Venom cooling, and upgraded to M122, 3873 of 7839

I'd take it back to ford and make them fix it again under warranty for their mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by BLACKMARAUDER04 View Post
    I'd take it back to ford and make them fix it again under warranty for their mistake.

Haha, yep. A new owner 6 states away and 11 years later, I'm sure they will bend over backwards.

That harness can be repaired with ease

^Exactly^

The drivers side is quite easy to disconnect. Flip it over to the passenger side and fix it. When you are done, route it on the other side of the EGR tube and clipped to that hole on the lower intake where it belongs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

2.5 hours to R&R the harness with the wiper cowl already out. Insulated, friction taped, and shielded. I wish my hands were about half size to get to all those connectors but it was relatively easy to remove once the wiper cowl and vacuum/evap were out of the way.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information