Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Shudder

Quote Originally Posted by RF Overlord View Post
    Send a PM to 88grandmarq...he's the transmission guru here. If you are using Mercon V, and have done so since the flush, you shouldn't be experiencing shudder due to depleted fluid in such a short time. It *may* be a torque converter issue.

Just for the sake of completeness, verify you are actually experiencing TC shudder by doing the following little test:

Leave O/D on. When you start to experience the shudder, keeping your foot steady on the gas, use your other foot to gently tap the brakes, just enough to light the lights. If the shudder stops immediately, then you likely have TCC shudder. If it does NOT, then you may have a misfire.
    I'll see if I can get a hold of 88grandmarq. He does know his stuff.

I'll try that test tomorrow. However, I predict it will be very hard to do. The "shudder" I'm experiencing is one singular bucking motion. It is not multiple hiccups or shuddering. Since it is one quick buck, I don't know if I'll be able to properly diagnose using that test.

I've seen many people, including guys on Ford truck forums, say that it can be related to a bad COP or the plug itself and can commonly be misdiagnosed. Ugh...
    Last edited by HotRaud90; 06-03-2018 at 09:04 PM.
    2003 Black 300A
    Adopted: 4/26/14

Mods:
    Mo's Tune - K&N CAI - 4.10 FOMOCO gears - Reische 170* T-stat - NGK TR6 Plugs - Flowmaster 40s - MuscleMerc's 3" Fuel Filter Mod - Addco Front and Rear Sway Bars - TCE SS Brake Lines - Cooper RS3-G1 - Factory Spoiler - SS Bumper Inserts

Quote Originally Posted by HotRaud90 View Post
    The "shudder" I'm experiencing is one singular bucking motion. It is not multiple hiccups or shuddering. Since it is one quick buck, I don't know if I'll be able to properly diagnose using that test.

I've seen many people, including guys on Ford truck forums, say that it can be related to a bad COP or the plug itself and can commonly be misdiagnosed. Ugh...
    Ah-HA! That "one quick buck" sounds familiar. Back in 2013, Mary had a very similar effect with her Marauder...I likened it to a "sneeze"...it almost felt like someone had turned the key off for just a fraction of a second and right back on again. Long story short, after trying everything everyone could think of, I ended up removing the 30,000-mile Autolite 104 spark plugs and replacing them with NGK 4177s, at Marty's suggestion.

Bingo. Problem went away. She sold the car to SergntMac in 2016, so I don't know if the problem has recurred since, but I don't believe so.

Funny thing is, the Autolite plugs all LOOKED fine.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Ah-HA! That "one quick buck" sounds familiar. Back in 2013, Mary had a very similar effect with her Marauder...I likened it to a "sneeze"...it almost felt like someone had turned the key off for just a fraction of a second and right back on again. Long story short, after trying everything everyone could think of, I ended up removing the 30,000-mile Autolite 104 spark plugs and replacing them with NGK 4177s, at Marty's suggestion.

Bingo. Problem went away. She sold the car to SergntMac in 2016, so I don't know if the problem has recurred since, but I don't believe so.

Hmmm. Interesting. I would never guess plugs because I replaced them about 30k mi ago. Worth looking into. Thanks for letting me know about your experience.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    2003 Black 300A

Mods:
    Mo's Tune - K&N CAI - 4.10 FOMOCO gears - Reische 170* T-stat - NGK TR6 Plugs - Flowmaster 40s - MuscleMerc's 3" Fuel Filter Mod - Addco Front and Rear Sway Bars - TCE SS Brake Lines - Cooper RS3-G1 - Factory Spoiler - SS Bumper Inserts

Overlord, just coming back around to this after thinking about it some more. Do you recall when that "buck" took place? Was it across all gears and rpm ranges? Mine only occurs in OD when the RPMs are sub 2100. This translates to about 45-60 mph after the TC has locked up. Just want to check with you to see if you can remember if your experience was similar or different. Thanks.

2003 Black 300A

Mods:

If I remember right, it occurred mostly when the throttle was opened after coasting. I only got to drive the car around town a couple of times and never on the highway. Mary may remember more details.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    Daily Driver

If I remember right, it occurred mostly when the throttle was opened after coasting. I only got to drive the car around town a couple of times and never on the highway. Mary may remember more details.
    Gotcha. That's when mine happens as well. OD, coasting around 45 - 60 (i.e. after TC has locked up), and opening the throttle after the coast. Maybe you can get some additional details from Ms. Mary and let me know? Thanks for your helpful input.

2003 Black 300A

Mods:

So... here's a question for you guys... I've seen a few posts referencing the Dorman Tranny Pan and none of them sound good. Is there something wrong with the Dorman Pan...?

I need to do a pan drop but I don't want to have to drop it every time I change the tranny fluid. So... I've been looking into a Dorman Pan with a drain plug. I figure it's easier to just put a different pan on that already has a plug rather than drilling the original pan and installing a plug.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

The only thing I see about the Dorman pan is that the drain plug is on the front of the little well, where the Ford "U-Haul" pan has it on the back side. Does that matter?

Honestly I use the B&M universal drain plug on all my cars. It's only $10 and all you need is to drill a ˝" hole.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    Daily Driver

The only thing I see about the Dorman pan is that the drain plug is on the front of the little well, where the Ford "U-Haul" pan has it on the back side. Does that matter?

Honestly I use the B&M universal drain plug on all my cars. It's only $10 and all you need is to drill a ˝" hole.
    Good info. Thank you sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry24 View Post
    I would suggest changing coils, plugs and checking the mass air flow sensor. And let the trouble shooting begin
    Agree. Common issue.
    BUCKWHEAT 03 MM 300A-August, '02 mfgr, black w/ blue metallic clearcoat, 94,000 miles, Texid stroker 5.0, #15 Kool-Aide w/ SnakeBite porting, Venom cooling, and upgraded to M122, 3873 of 7839

Quote Originally Posted by BUCKWHEAT View Post
    Agree. Common issue.
    Been there done that. Shudder remained. Added a tube of Dr. Tranny... gone. Still need to do a tranny fluid change.

Don't know if this issue is related to what I've experienced or not. The thread did capture my attention though.

Back around 2001, I modded a '98 Mustang GT at 22k miles with the 4R70W. Gears, driveshaft, shift kit, girdle cover, TC, CAI, underdrive pulley, custom tune. A day or two after completion, I experienced a shudder, stumble and stall at low speed. Restarted the car and it ran fine. Tuner stated to keep him informed. Car ran flawlessly until I crashed it at 101k miles in 2011 - complete tuneup at 96k miles a year or two earlier.

Fast forward to 2018. My '04 bone stock Marauder with 41k miles just came out of MartyO's shop with nearly identical mods. Not long after leaving the hotel in Hiram, GA this past sunday the Marauder experienced nearly identical symptoms although it didn't stall - car regained its composure and I completed the remainder of my 230 mile trip flawlessly.

My thinking in both incidents is the ECM is/was adjusting to its new operating parameters?
    Current Garage:

2005 Mustang GT Premium
    2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crewcab 4WD
    2015 Triumph Trophy SE

“You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
    Love like you'll never be hurt,
    Sing like there's nobody listening,
    And live like it's heaven on earth.”
    William W. Purkey

Mine was just old transmission fluid. I bought this car from a dealer but I'm the second owner. The carfax showed all the maintenance records and they were flawless. The only thing I didn't notice until later is there was no mention of a transmission flush. I added Dr. Tranny and the shudder stopped. Shortly after that I did a fluid change. Still no shudder.

Yours may well be a computer issue related to the new programming.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information