Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: how do i know if my Alternator is bad or the bearing?

how do i know if my Alternator is bad or the bearing?

There is a squeaking noise almost sounds like a bird chirping, it doesnt quite sound like some of the bad alternator videos i have seen online. Im working on getting a video put up so you all can actually hear it. My mechanic says he THINKS it may be the alternator but he isnt sure and he wants to take everything apart. Whatever it is I want to get it fixed this week.
    2003 Black MercNasty
    Diablo Predator Tunned
    JLT CAI
    Ford 4:10 Gears
    Drill Slotted rotors
    Aero Turbines 2525
    Pirelli Tires
    Ford Bob White Chrome Bumper insert- Overpriced

Coming soon
    Valentine 1 radar detector
    Tinted Windows
    Stereo System
    And maybe more Engine Mods

Most times I've had a bad alternator, you could feel it in the pulley by spinning it by hand. Try loosening the serpentine belt off the alternator and spinning the pulley, if it squeaks by hand you'll know that's where to start.

4 miles from insanity and 2ft from broke!
    depends on your definition of "bad" meaning just sqeaking (likely the bearing), or is it not charging your battery?
    04 MERCURY MARAUDER build date:02/11/04
    ITS ALIVE !!!!!!!!

STAY TUNED!!!!!!!!!!

**WHIPPLE 4.0L CRUSHER!**0000 (FOR NOW) RWHP

VISIT MY GARAGE FOR A FULL LIST OF MODS

It can also be the idler that squeaks.

Quote Originally Posted by martyo View Post
    It can also be the idler that squeaks.
    Either the idler or the tensioner pulley(s).
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
    Either the idler or the tensioner pulley(s).
    Yes true -- I should have send that!

I'd say find another mechanic first and foremost. There is no excuse for "thinking it's the alternator" and wanting to tear it down. It just takes a couple of seconds to remove the belt and inspect each pulley and alt.

These cars also have a one-way clutch pulley on the alternator. Have an assistant rev the engine to 2500 and shut it off while you observe the alt and listen for the noise. If it continues after shut down it could be the pulley or the alt. With the belt off turn the alt by hand in both directions if it makes any noise or has any roughness if it does in both directions then it's likely the alt bearings if it only does it in one direction it is the bearings in the clutch pulley. With the belt off spin each of the idler/tensioner pulley as fast as you can by hand if it takes more than a second or 2 for it to come to a stop it is time for replacement. Also feel for any wobble, looseness or "rough" feeling. The pulley is available separately but you need special tools to R&R it but it can be done on the car. You should also inspect the belt for any imbeded sand or grit in the grooves, it will look like little shiny spots. A bad tensioner can also be the cause or the chirp. With the belt on and engine running with all accessories on high watch the tensioner arm if it is bouncing around then it is due for replacement.
    Last edited by EMAS; 11-28-2010 at 07:02 PM.

All of this sounds great and I wish i knew how to take the belt off to inspect, but that is something i have never done before. I will make a list of things to check and take it to my mechanic, he isnt going to charge me anything to figure out what it is but he wants me to leave the car over night. NO WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
    2003 Black MercNasty
    Diablo Predator Tunned
    JLT CAI
    Drill Slotted rotors
    Aero Turbines 2525
    Pirelli Tires

Coming soon
    Tinted Windows
    Stereo System

That's actually really easy if you have a ratchet, but would probably require a picture if you've never done it before. Basically, all you need to do is pull the tensioner back (for the Marauder, if you're at the front of the car looking at the front of the engine, that would be pulling it to the right) and slip the belt off of at least one pulley. I'd recommend slipping it off the alternator pulley as a matter of fact, it's the easiest on to reach IMO when you go to slip the belt back on the pulley. You can use the ratchet without an attachment on it by putting the peg into the square notch on the front of the tensioner and pulling.

Believe me, once you try it and succeed, you'll see what I mean by ez-pz.

The alternator actually has the SAME bearing inside the case that is used in the idler pulleys. This can screech and howl while the alternator still puts out proper voltage.

This can be replaced (what do you think they do when you give them your core?) but usually just replace the alternator instead.
    2004 Mercury Marauder 300A Black
    Build date: 9/26/03 552 of 3214 2004's
    105K miles Second Owner. Charcoal interior Heated Seats All stock with Lidio 91/93 Octane tune 14.85@95.63 with 93 tune only. 96 cobra intake cams in the cellar, pondering TR6060 swap.

Pictures

2004 Crown Vic LX 150K Silver Birch with Light flint leather. Auto dim mirror, EATC and steering wheel radio controls. 21mm marauder rear sway bar and wood steering wheel. MM head unit , MM subwoofer coming (really) 04 P-71 80 mm MAF/ airbox 04 p71 zip tube 04 P-71 PCM swap. Heated mirrors with silver birch endcaps coming!!

Pictures

1996 Lincoln Town Car Signature
    Touring Edition 250K 2004 PI 2V swap complete! Sold

Pictures

74 Laguna S-3 Project car Original 400 Small block

As I said before find a new mechanic if he wants you to leave it over night for a 5-10 minute inspection.

As MrBluGruv noted all you need is a ratchet or breaker bar. The diagram for the belt routing and instructions on which way to move the tensioner is on a sticker under the hood, or at least there was when it left the factory.
    Last edited by EMAS; 12-04-2010 at 09:58 AM.

Ok guys thanks for all the input, tomorrow I will be taking the belt off and inspecting the alt, idler and tensioner pullies. I will report back tomorrow with the findings and to receive instructions on what to do next. Im hoping this is something that will be a cheap fix. Also should i replace my belt with a goodyear gatorback belt?
    2003 Black MercNasty
    Diablo Predator Tunned
    JLT CAI
    Drill Slotted rotors
    Aero Turbines 2525
    Pirelli Tires

Coming soon
    Tinted Windows
    Stereo System

Ok so I hadnt been able to take my belt off and inspect the pullies and alternator but earlier today I was in my mechanics neighborhood so I stopped by and had him look at it again, The very first time i took it to him about the noise a few weeks ago, he said it was the alternator now today with me mentioning the tensioner and Idiler, he said its the tensioner and wants to charge me $450 to fix it. I am going to take it somewhere else and get a second opinion because he didnt take the belt off or anything he just rev the engine a few times and said it was the tensioner. I thought this guy was a good mechanic and he likes MM so I figured i could trust him. He has done good work for me in the past but Im not to sure about him this time. What are some of the signs that it could indeed be the tensioner? Im not having any problems driving the car its just a loud noise that appears to coming from somewhere around the alternator. Its like a mild squeak/squeal. Please help
    2003 Black MercNasty
    Diablo Predator Tunned
    JLT CAI
    Drill Slotted rotors
    Aero Turbines 2525
    Pirelli Tires

Coming soon
    Tinted Windows
    Stereo System

Quote Originally Posted by MercNasty View Post
    Please help
    OK. As others have said, the solution to your problem is quite easy. You just need to
    Quote Originally Posted by MercNasty View Post
    take my belt off and inspect the pullies and alternator
    Which you haven't yet done.
    '03 Marauder | '91 Country Squire | '18 Flex Ecoboost | '92 Shadow VT1100
    former Panthers: '02 MGM, '04 MGM, '04 MGM v2.0, '04 MM, '07 P71 w/5-speed, '04 CVLX, '03 SAP P71, '10 P7B
    CLICK HERE and have your Marauder's COA info added to the database!!! | 2003 list ||| 2004 list
    Quote Originally Posted by offroadkarter View Post
    Reinhart's tuning skills were comparable to an ape slapping the keyboard in microsoft excel.

Just take a can of CRC 6-56 or if you can't find that WD-40 and with the car running and the pulley squeaking, spray a SMALL amount of the product directly on the shaft the pulley runs on (use the straw that comes with the can).When you spray the shafts a small amount of the lubricant will be wicked into the bearing, they will get quieter as soon as the lube hits them.

You will quickly find out which pulley it is, it is most likely not your alternator. If it is alternator the squeak will not go away or get quieter when the pulley shafts are lubricated.

And for sure as has been said several times in this thread, find a Mechanic, ask around and find out who your neighbors/ co-workers are using, go with someone with a good reputation.
    Sometimes a shop that charges a higher labor rate ends up being cheaper in the long run.
    Last edited by boatmangc; 12-18-2010 at 05:16 AM.
    It's all BS until you can show me the time slip!

Trilogy #36
    #2529 of 7839
    See Garage for mods.
    O bsessive
    C ar
    D etailer

SOLD

2014 Caddilac CTSV Wagon
    CAI
    DRs
    11.70 @ 119 mph
    505 RWHP at Mo's untuned.

10/16 mods
    Ported blower. LTs catless mids, flex fuel kit, pulleys, badness.
    621/626 on E49 tuned for E85
    10.65 @ 128.9 SSHS16

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information