Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Head Tick - noticed after headers - time to cash in on the ESP

Red face Head Tick - noticed after headers - time to cash in on the ESP

Got an appointment to bring her to Ford Dealer on Monday. I have a head ticking sound that is coming from drivers side, I noticed it after installing my SW longtubes. My ESP is for powertrain only, so it should be covered - I checked it this am and I'm still under coverage for both time and mileage.

Has anyone gotten successful ESP work covered under warranty with headers on the car?? Ugg, I really don't want to take them off. Not real happy about this.

Thanks for any tips/thoughts on this.

p.s. I thought the evenflow cooling mod was for the passenger side?
    2021 F150 XLT Super Crew short bed - no chrome! - 3.5 Ecoboost 400hp/500tq - 36 Gal tank (600 miles) - 4x4 FX4 Offroad + Max Tow - 3.55 Locker - 10 Speed - Pro Power 2kva - 24mpg @ 80 Ford is still the best.
    03 300A - Number 1727
    - Super Touring - 10k in the best upgrades - 13.8@99 N/A - SOLD
    - STAP was so much fun, loved meeting you all and racing.

exhaust leak from the header install can cause a ticking sound just so you know.

11.90 @ 117.5mph on 93 octane
    324 shortblock, Novi 2000, Now with optional axle removing tires
    Igziabeher

Quote Originally Posted by RR|Suki View Post
    exhaust leak from the header install can cause a ticking sound just so you know.
    Thanks, I already took the drivers side off - put new gaskets on, checked and put it all back on. It's good and tight all around. I can hear it at idle, it's louder than passenger side. I really don't think it's a leak.
    2021 F150 XLT Super Crew short bed - no chrome! - 3.5 Ecoboost 400hp/500tq - 36 Gal tank (600 miles) - 4x4 FX4 Offroad + Max Tow - 3.55 Locker - 10 Speed - Pro Power 2kva - 24mpg @ 80 Ford is still the best.
    03 300A - Number 1727

x2

Even with a r&r of gaskets, doesnt mean its not still leaking. Could be leaking from the gasket still, could be a hole in a weld, could be coming from collector. Exhaust leaks can 'throw' their sound to places they are not. Way too darn coincidental for it to be anything but.

Did you see any signs of exhaust escaping past the gasket when you took it off?
    Last edited by HoleyMoley64; 03-02-2011 at 10:12 AM.
    '99 Crown Victoria LX - Daily Driver
    '79 Malibu, mild 383, afr 195, 60122 lunati, 10.41comp, pump gas, overdrive, true street car.
    http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e2...1979%20Malibu/

also check EGR tube if
    Canadian Marauder
    black 300a
    JLT intake
    SCT Tuned by Lidio
    Blacked out Tail lights
    FRPP shorties - Mac Prochamber x-pipe - Dynomax Super Turbo's and delete tips
    Addco front and rear sway bars
    lowered with 1 coil cut
    cooling mod
    Ford Racing 4.10's
    Vortech S-trim collecting dust in the closet

Quote Originally Posted by babbage View Post
    Got an appointment to bring her to Ford Dealer on Monday. I have a head ticking sound that is coming from drivers side, I noticed it after installing my SW longtubes. My ESP is for powertrain only, so it should be covered - I checked it this am and I'm still under coverage for both time and mileage.

Has anyone gotten successful ESP work covered under warranty with headers on the car?? Ugg, I really don't want to take them off. Not real happy about this.

Thanks for any tips/thoughts on this.

p.s. I thought the evenflow cooling mod was for the passenger side?
    I am quite certain DOOM's MM developed a loud tick when he modded his exhaust.

And it wasn't the engine.

Maybe get ahold of him for more details as I cannot remember the whole story on that??

Keep us posted.

Mike.

I wonder if I did a seafoam treatment, I should be able to "see" if there was a leak - yeah?
    03 300A - Number 1727

Smoke smoke smoke - Quite alot of smoke... LOL

I wonder if I did a seafoam treatment, I should be able to "see" if there was a leak - yeah?
    Possible but I still wouldn't rule it out if you don't see anything. If you do see something, awesome you'll know right where it is.

Let me pose my question again:

Quote Originally Posted by HoleyMoley64 View Post
    Did you see any signs of exhaust escaping past the gasket when you took it off?
    Last edited by HoleyMoley64; 03-02-2011 at 11:05 AM.
    '79 Malibu, mild 383, afr 195, 60122 lunati, 10.41comp, pump gas, overdrive, true street car.

The way I found a leak in my LT's was by using a 3' long 3/8 rubber hose from primarys to my ear and go around all your primarys. Then you you will know for sure if the headers are leaking or not.

using new OEM gaskets is the best way to avoid leaks btw. RTV, other non metal gaskets etc. just don't get the job done without all kinds of trouble for some reason.

11.90 @ 117.5mph on 93 octane
    324 shortblock, Novi 2000, Now with optional axle removing tires
    Igziabeher

Quote Originally Posted by HoleyMoley64 View Post
    Possible but I still wouldn't rule it out if you don't see anything. If you do see something, awesome you'll know right where it is.

Let me pose my question again: Did you see any signs of exhaust escaping past the gasket when you took it off?
    No I didn't

Quote Originally Posted by blackbeauty2 View Post
    The way I found a leak in my LT's was by using a 3' long 3/8 rubber hose from primarys to my ear and go around all your primarys. Then you you will know for sure if the headers are leaking or not.
    I'll give this a try

using new OEM gaskets is the best way to avoid leaks btw. RTV, other non metal gaskets etc. just don't get the job done without all kinds of trouble for some reason.
    I did use OEM new gaskets. Then I took those off and all of the RTV, I then cleaned my old gaskets with brake cleaner and installed with no RTV.
    03 300A - Number 1727

In case there's any confusion...the rtv isn't to seal the gaskets, and shouldn't be put on the mating surfaces. Its just to hold the gasket on while you get the bolts started.

When tightening down a header with aluminum, paper, or copper gasket, rtv can deform the gasket ever so slightly and cause it to leak once the rtv breaks up and blows out.

Make sure you bypass you catch can when you do this. Put a hose between the pcv valve and the intake.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbeauty2 View Post
    You been hanging out with some "Old School" wrench turners
    +1 on this method!

Quote Originally Posted by Got_1 View Post
    also check EGR tube if
    First thing I would do is check this. If the egr hose is'nt sealed it will do this too. Try a copper gasket and file it to fit if you find a egr tube leak

Glad you got rid of the RVT, it did'nt belong there, it squeezed into the exhaust port opening's
    Last edited by musclemerc; 03-02-2011 at 12:11 PM.

The 3V mustang guys have a torque sequence for their headers. If you didnt follow it then they would always leak no matter what gaskets or how tight. Im not sure about the 4V, but I wouldn't rule it out.
    I wouldn't suspect a tick in the head especially since you didnt notice it before the header install. I would look closely at the EGR tube and all mating surfaces before getting drastic.

MERCURY MARAUDER 300A

Build Date
    5/31/02
    Sequence#
    #363 of 7839 Black Marauders
    Dyno tested power
    450 RWHP & 405 RWTQ on 93 octane
    Best 1/4 mile time to date
    12.456@109mph
    Visit my Garage
    Blackened300a's Garage

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast