Thread: Are Sumitomo Tires any good?

Question Are Sumitomo Tires any good?

I just made a call to a shop since they were having a tire sale on Coopers. The Coopers weren't in our size, but they did price me with a set of Sumitomo tires 255/55/18's for $137 a piece and $382 for two tires, labor, taxes, disposal fee and everything.

I have never heard of these tires. Are they any good or worth picking up?
    "Bye Bye, Johnny B. Goode."

Need the rest of the tire info to make the call. Speed rating, sidewall strength...
    300A
    born 08-27-02
    Adjusted air in and air out.
    400+ timeslips.

When in doubt, GAS IT! This will either fix the problem, or end the suspense.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul T. Casey View Post
    Need the rest of the tire info to make the call. Speed rating, sidewall strength...
    I better call them back then.

I believe Tire Rack sells that brand.
    (#6178 in black per FPIC)
    Call 1-800-FORD-788 and press "1". Have the last 6 of your VIN handy. You will get the numbers for FREE. You'll pay $$$ for the certificate.

MM traded in 8/9/13 @ 128909 miles. It was fun for almost 8 years. I met airmercpun on 1/17/14. He was the new owner of my former ride. -Now gone.

Update: back in the game with a late build 03 GMGS with some MM add ons like Escape audiophile radio w/Sirius sat radio, rear sway bar, catback exhaust, and header panel.

Rest In Peace:
    Alex "Marauderboi" Vachon 3/2/92-8/13/10
    Paula Babineau 1/9/67-8/2/11
    Rex Weinbender
    Peter

See my garage file for part numbers and whatnot.

IMHO, this site- the members that I chat with- and the ones that I now Hang with- are like my 2nd family. There is such an ongoing welcome feeling here that even members who don't or no longer own the MM can feel.

You want 103 for your sidewall strength, W for speed. Is this what you're looking at?

tomo HTR Sport H/P (Street/Sport Truck All-Season)
    "Reviewer's Average Rating" is based on reviews
    submitted by customers via our Online Tire Survey.
    "N/A" denotes a tire that has not yet received
    enough reviews to generate an average rating.7.4Reviewer's
    Avg. Rating: Size: 255/55R18
    Sidewall Style: Blackwall
    Serv. Desc: 109HLoad Index 109 = 2271lbs (1030kg) per tire
    Speed Rating "H" = 130mph (210kph)
    UTQG: Treadwear: 480
    Traction: A
    Temperature: A
    480 A A
    300A
    born 08-27-02
    400+ timeslips.

Ya I just called and they said they were W rated. For $1 more I could get Yokohamas and have a 60,000 mile warranty. I think I will go with them because of the small price difference and warranty. It's also nearly a $40 difference in final costs. $382 to $346. NTB to Discount Tire.

I will call Pepboys next and see what they have in stock since they are two miles from my house and these other guys are in the suburbs.

Are they M&S rated All-Seasons? If you look at Tire Rack they will give you some info on how they will do in the messy stuff. After all winter ain't quite over anywhere yet.

JR

2003 Black MM 300A
    Build date: 6/4/02
    Start date:11/16/02
    Adopted 10/22/04
    #507 of 7838
    *40% Tint
    2011 Pearlwhite Nissan Maxima

I need the tires for a drive to L.A. I just checked with Pepboys and they can get me Hankook tires for $325 for 255/55/18s. Tires and labor. They are also 2 miles away while these other guys are 12 miles out. I will ge going to Pepboys.

Thanks for the info guys.

What's the sidewall strength rating? That's probably more important than the speed rating for highway use.
    300A
    born 08-27-02
    400+ timeslips.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul T. Casey View Post
    What's the sidewall strength rating? That's probably more important than the speed rating for highway use.
    Whatever they are, I remember asking Zack about these exact tires two summers ago and he told me they are fine. I will do one final check before I decide to purchase though.

For the record, and though it seems like a different route has already been taken, my dad has Sumitomo's on his '03 Mustang GT.

His tires are okay up to 30mph, then they behave strangely from 30-55mph. Then from 55 and up, they're fine again. What I mean by "behave strangely" is that they cause the steering wheel to shimmy, pull one way or another, etc.

The car has never been in an accident, is properly aligned, and the tires have been balanced by two different shops since installation.

Screwiest tires I've ever driven on. Close second is (also previously mentioned) Yokohamas. My mom has those on her Grand Am GT. They wear out faster than anything and suck in the snow and rain, even though they were rated highly for both.

On the flip, I have 255/55/18 Coopers on my Magnum and love them. Quiet ride, improved handling, excellent snow + rain traction.....
    Plus, their HQ is in Ohio!
    '03 Marauder | '91 Country Squire | '18 Flex Ecoboost | '92 Shadow VT1100
    former Panthers: '02 MGM, '04 MGM, '04 MGM v2.0, '04 MM, '07 P71 w/5-speed, '04 CVLX, '03 SAP P71, '10 P7B
    CLICK HERE and have your Marauder's COA info added to the database!!! | 2003 list ||| 2004 list
    Quote Originally Posted by offroadkarter View Post
    Reinhart's tuning skills were comparable to an ape slapping the keyboard in microsoft excel.

Quote Originally Posted by Motorhead350 View Post
    I need the tires for a drive to L.A. I just checked with Pepboys and they can get me Hankook tires for $325 for 255/55/18s. Tires and labor. They are also 2 miles away while these other guys are 12 miles out. I will ge going to Pepboys.

Thanks for the info guys.
    My Hankooks have been great!
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
    My Hankooks have been great!

You've got pretty good mileage out of them too, haven't you? I'm considering these as my next replacement, although the Generals I've got on are wearing real well so far.

2003 300B DBP
    Build date: 6/19/03
    Number 7,792 of 7,838 - 326 of 328
    Proud member of the MM "BLUES" Bros.
    Purchased: 11/10/05
    Eaton swap by ImpalaSlayer 11-09-10

Semper et in Aeternum, Mercurius.

In Memory:
    2004 DTR
    Build Date 01/27/04
    Purchased 04/04/04
    Wrecked 10/19/05, R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by SC Cheesehead View Post
    You've got pretty good mileage out of them too, haven't you? I'm considering these as my next replacement, although the Generals I've got on are wearing real well so far.
    Yep, wearing like iron. Gonna see if I can get a set for my widened rims.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

60K mile tire warranty? My car doesn't even have 60K on it, and I can't remember how many sets of tires it has had on it. Of course, they've all been stock tires. Best luck I had was running fronts all the way around and rotating every 5K. Put the 4.10s in and it was just too much.

255/55s for me next time around.

I had a set of Sumitomo's on my wife's Boxster for a while. They weren't very impressive, but they were the cheapest thing I could find. I was getting ready to sell the car and just wanted a matched set. Didn't stick well, but they were FUN to slide around on.

Thread Information