Thread: Exhaust Tips

Exhaust Tips

Hey guys, Ive got a set of Flowmasters in the mail and now Im shopping for new exhaust tips. Ive pretty much decided to go with a Magnaflow tip (unless you guys have any other suggestions). I jus want to know if theres much of a difference between 3, 3.5, and 4 inch pipes, as far as sound goes. Also, should I go with 18 or 22 inch length?? Thanks.

First off, do you have a MM, or a crown vic? Id say stay with the Megs tips. Check out Innovative Interceptors in our vendor section.
    RIP 03 Procharged Marauder/FIT Kit #3.
    New Toy: 2001 Mustang GT built motor, heads, cams, and a Procharger D1sc. 539rwhp 457rwtq 11.5@125 on stock rear end and bald drag radials.

I have a Marauder. Ive seen those tips and I cant see spending sooo much more on the same thing. A stainless steel exhaust tip is just that a SS exhaust tip. I was just wanting to know if there was much of a diff. between the different diameters.

I presume that you are aware that the factory tips have resonators and the aftermarket tips do not, which results in a considerable change in tone and volume. Many of us enjoy that, while retaining the OEM look. IMHO, the Megs tips are a perfect visual fit with the overall look of the car, however "to each his own" is respected here too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdough
    I have a Marauder. Ive seen those tips and I cant see spending sooo much more on the same thing. A stainless steel exhaust tip is just that a SS exhaust tip. I was just wanting to know if there was much of a diff. between the different diameters.
    A difference in diameters is just that, a difference in the diameter. Are you referring to sound difference between 3.5" and 4.0"? If so, there has not been enough experimenting for any difference to be voiced. I think I am the only person with 4" tips and you can find my thread with videos by searching "tips" to get an idea of the sound with Spintech Sportsman Street Mufflers. If you want to hear it with a louder muffler, you can find my thread with Spintech Pro-Streets installed under the same search query.

Good luck in your search. Whatever tip you get you want it as long as possible, atleast 22" - but ideally 26" would work best.

Quote Originally Posted by SergntMac
    I presume that you are aware that the factory tips have resonators and the aftermarket tips do not, which results in a considerable change in tone and volume. Many of us enjoy that, while retaining the OEM look. IMHO, the Megs tips are a perfect visual fit with the overall look of the car, however "to each his own" is respected here too.
    And beware that an aftermarket tip without a resonator will create some drone some where. Even with the tips extended past the bumper. It will also be a very deep sound at idle, from what I've noticed.

I do realize that the aftermarket tips are not resonated, and thats wha I want. I know all about drone (I drive a Supra Turbo with full 3 inch exhaust) and I dont mind.

As far as diameter differences, I was talking about the sound difference. I can get a 3.5 inch tip about $15-20 cheaper than a 4 inch and I was wondering if there was an advantage for going with the 4 inch.

The longest they make is 22" so I'll go with that one.

Thanks everyone for the responses and keep em coming.

I don't think anyone really knows about the difference between the two as far as sound goes. I think the best bet is to view videos and look up past threads...it's a tough call on a .5" difference exhaust tip.

Thread Information