Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rough Idle...

Rough Idle...

Hey guys. My car has been running a little rough at idle. My car is stock with the exception of a K&N CAI. I do not have a tune or anything. I plan on replacing the fuel filter, PCV Valve, and cleaning the K&N filter this weekend. I have 103,000 miles on her and just replaced the ORIGINAL BATTERY today! 7 years out of a battery isn't bad! There is no check engine light at this time indicating any problem. So here are my questions...

Where is the PCV Valve located just to make sure?
    What product do I use to clean the intake, censors, and T.B.? Brakeleen?
    What else could be the culprit here? Coils? what?

I really appreciate any help you guys can be. I am really concerned about this for money is tight and I would like to figure this on my own. I am very mechanically inclined and am just looking to get ideas of what to do here!

Thanks guys!!!
    TJ
    Marauderless....

Try cleaning the maf too.
    2003 300A
    #4916 of 7839
    N/A Bolt on's
    4:10 Gear's
    Steeda Underdrive Pulleys
    Stewart EMP Waterpump
    K&N CAI
    Sparta Control Arms
    Zack Tune
    TCE SS brakelines
    [LEFT]SS Insert's[/LEFT

I plan on it bud, but what should I use for a cleaner? I was thinking brakeleen, but I could be wrong and am looking to see what others use to clean the intake area/throttle body
    Quote Originally Posted by sd8683 View Post
    Try cleaning the maf too.
    Marauderless....

PCV is on the passenger side cam cover. Use MAF safe cleaner. On the K&N, use the kit they sell at most FLAPS. Also clean your IAC, this acts up on mine quite often. Start with a fuel pump if it's been awile and go from there.
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

BOB
    Thank you for the PCV Valve location
    What is a IAC?
    I have the recharge kit for the K&N from my dad.
    What is a safe MAF cleaner? haha
    I REALLY don't want to have to do a fuel pump on this thing! I am sure it is a nightmare!
    Marauderless....

Don't use brake cleaner on the MAF. They sell a special MAF cleaner but if you can get electrical contact cleaner for cheaper, that is the same thing (it doesnt leave a residue like brake cleaner).

You will also probably need to clean the MAF again about a week after re-oiling the K&N.

Did you change your plugs at 100k?
    Don't bring skittles to a gunfight.

I think the brand of maf cleaner I use is CRC???
    2003 300A
    #4916 of 7839
    N/A Bolt on's
    4:10 Gear's
    Steeda Underdrive Pulleys
    Stewart EMP Waterpump
    K&N CAI
    Sparta Control Arms
    Zack Tune
    TCE SS brakelines
    [LEFT]SS Insert's[/LEFT

Phrog
    Thank you for the MAF advice. I am hoping that is the culprit. and I will clean it after re-oiling.

I changed the plugs just before winter with around 90,000 so the plugs have around 13k on them.

Thanks!
    Marauderless....

Quote Originally Posted by tjmorin82 View Post
    BOB

I REALLY don't want to have to do a fuel pump on this thing! I am sure it is a nightmare!
    actually, its really not that bad. if you do end up needing one, i have one you can HAVE

IAC stand for idle air control
    2010 fusion se

I will keep that in mind! Where is the IAC located?

Man... I never knew that I didn't know this much about my car! haha

Do you have to drop the tank for the fuel pump?
    Quote Originally Posted by ImpalaSlayer View Post
    actually, its really not that bad. if you do end up needing one, i have one you can HAVE

IAC stand for idle air control
    Marauderless....

Quote Originally Posted by tjmorin82 View Post
    I will keep that in mind! Where is the IAC located?

Man... I never knew that I didn't know this much about my car! haha

Do you have to drop the tank for the fuel pump?
    the IAC is on top of the upper intake near the TB. has 2 bolts holding it on, should have aplug with 2 wires connecting to a small cylinder thing and its footprint is sort of a diamond shape. the whole thing is only maybe 2.5 inches long.
    2010 fusion se

oh and no, you dont have to drop the tank
    2010 fusion se

It's on the top right next to the TB. Here is a pic of a different ford, but looks the same.
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Could I have a cops problem even throw it isn't throwing a CEL? the car seems a bit slower under acceleration too.
    Marauderless....

Most but not all bad Fuel pumps handle normal driving/idling fine. How does she feel WOT?
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information