Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: No Horn or Cruise Control

No Horn or Cruise Control

Quite a long time ago, both my horn and cruise control stopped working at the same time. I thought there was a problem with the clockspring, so I replaced it, but the problem persisted. The horn relay is still fine, as I was able to test that (and foolishly, too, it gave me quite a jump). The switches in the steering wheel all tested fine, as well. I eventually discovered that it appears that the horn and cruise control have power feed to them through the same wire coming up the steering column. However, I can't seem to find the wiring diagram that I was referencing to make that discovery. Would anyone be able to verify this information for me, or be able to point me to an accurate wiring diagram I can use? I figure what I have to do now is find that wire where it connects under the dash and maybe repair the connection from the harness to the clockspring. It would seem that there's a problem with the connector on the harness side.
    "Beast, Jr."

2003 300 A, 4.10:1 gear, JLT CAI, Marty tune, Nitto 420S and 555 tires, NGK TR55 plugs, J-mod, Skull lock knobs, and a new windshield

Get a Ford factory wiring manual for a 2003 CV & GM (Marauder -specific stuff is included).
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Replace the cruise control servo with a used one from ebay or yard. That solved my issues after the clockspring was necessarily replaced due to no buttons working at all. I had 2 servos. One worked, one did not. It controls more than just the cruise. The power feeds through it.

That would affect both the horn AND the cruise control? Huh. At least I know the climate control and radio buttons on the steering wheel still work just fine. But I wouldn't think that the power feed for the horn and cruise control would run from the servo under the hood.
    "Beast, Jr."

2003 300 A, 4.10:1 gear, JLT CAI, Marty tune, Nitto 420S and 555 tires, NGK TR55 plugs, J-mod, Skull lock knobs, and a new windshield

Wow. Great find! Will have to remember than one
    The twins2.3 whipple/aluminatorVortech V-2 lots of goodies

Current marauders
    04 DTR totaled JUST NOW starting to part out 7-21-2021 https://youtu.be/REUxjP1BVpg

04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop Whipple Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop V2 Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Converted
    03 DBP Light Flint #122
    03 DBP Dark Charcoal #232
    03 Silver Birch 300b Light Flint Going to fix er up
    03 Black 300a
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal moonroof in the works

04 Heaton Swapped DTR
    Joe's Wrecked DTR rebuild thread

Quote Originally Posted by ledzilla View Post
    That would affect both the horn AND the cruise control? Huh. At least I know the climate control and radio buttons on the steering wheel still work just fine. But I wouldn't think that the power feed for the horn and cruise control would run from the servo under the hood.
    After I replaced the clockspring and still had nothing, I was pretty dismayed. So I plugged in my spare servo and everything worked. Plugged the old one back in just to be sure, nothing.

Like I said, the power for all of it runs through the wiring that connects to the servo.

Well, I guess I ought to hit up one of the local boneyards to see what they have. I checked on eBay and I only found one, and they wanted $400+ for it.
    "Beast, Jr."

I paid around $65. Twice. And another one for my Town Car. 3x

Here ya go.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-CROWN-V...5WbgG5&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GRAND-MARQUI...RV5LFR&vxp=mtr

Don't search "Marauder" unless you hate money.

Hurry and order it up or I may order it for a spare.
    Last edited by tbone; 03-10-2016 at 03:07 PM.

my daily driver has the same issue, Thanks for this! I love this site

With free shipping, both certainly beat the $75 the local boneyard wants. I'm gonna have to check back once my paycheck comes in a few days. Buy one of these when I order those coil covers from Jerry.
    "Beast, Jr."

It seems that you have everything figured out, but just for the heck of it, have you check on the fuses yet? IIRC the horn and the cruise control share the same fuse but I can't remember if under the bash panel or under the hood's fuse panel. Just a thought.
    2003 Mercury Grandma on steroids

Yeah, the fuses were the very first things I checked, not a single one was burned out.
    "Beast, Jr."

I'm not saying this is the issue, but, when I poked my horn contact pad (changing the airbag emblem) - it stopped the horn and cruise from working. Because the horn circuit was fubar, the cruise said bye-bye.
    I changed my entire airbag - everything worked again.
    Seems a few things can kill the same items.
    sent from my rotary phone using Technicolor

2004 SILVER BIRCH/BLACK PAINT
    DARK CHARCOAL NUDO LEATHER
    #400 of 997 (SOLD)

2004 CV LX SPORT
    ALL BLACK, 6 DISC, TUNED MZT (SOLD)

2004 300A MM BLACK
    1 OWNER CAR, NO OPTIONS
    DAILY DRIVER

2013 DAYTONA R/T
    SUPER TRACK PACK
    DAYTONA BLUE PEARL
    #1763 off ~2100
    NOW WITH A 392 & 3.73 posi!

I did a continuity test with a multimeter on it, and pressing the horn switch indicated continuity. So not certain the problem is there.
    "Beast, Jr."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information