Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: steering wheel shake

steering wheel shake

Finally, I got more info on steering wheel shake . I still have this problem only tried conventional [4] wheel balance so far . "in some affected vehicles , there may be insufficient torque on the lock ring that secures the steering gear yoke plug. This condition has no affect on steering effort or directional control.Driver symptoms are confined to a rattle and vibration during parking or while driving on rough roads . The other bulletin I found regarding this issue is body mounts {TSB98-1-11}2003 & 2004 cv gm vehicles may exhibit a steering nibble above 44mph .Steering nibble is described as a slight rotational back and forth movement of the steering wheel. tsb for road force balance is 02-1-6 hope this helps I will post my results asap

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley G
    The other bulletin I found regarding this issue is body mounts {TSB98-1-11}2003 & 2004 cv gm vehicles may exhibit a steering nibble above 44mph .Steering nibble is described as a slight rotational back and forth movement of the steering wheel. tsb for road force balance is 02-1-6 hope this helps I will post my results asap
    Where does one obtain these "Technical Service Bulletins"?
    Tom
    This one is for sale:
    2000 GM-LS-HPP & DOHC!
    Finally, did the 1/4mile.

Finally bought a Marauder #2,385
    205,000 miles and did rear spring conversion

The Scoop

Quote Originally Posted by ts-pa
    Where does one obtain these "Technical Service Bulletins"?
    I work for Ford I looked 'em up on the computer Ford dealer web page business to business

Is "TSB" the same as "Top Secret Bulletins"?

Can anyone who does not work for Ford or a dealership get to view or a copy of these?

Sorry if I've "hijacked" this thread on the TSB qusetions.

I get the "shakes" also. Most noticable at 50+ MPH speeds.
    I hit 90 just once (just to clean the exhaust out, you know what I mean? ). The most horrible "vibration/noise" came from the drive line.
    Last edited by ts-pa; 05-18-2004 at 03:21 PM.
    Tom
    This one is for sale:
    2000 GM-LS-HPP & DOHC!

Can anyone who does not work for Ford or a dealership get to view or a copy of these?

Sorry if I've "hijacked" this thread on the TSB qusetions.

I get the "shakes" also. Most noticable at 50+ MPH speeds.
    I hit 90 just once (just to clean the exhaust out, you know what I mean? ). The most horrible "vibration/noise" came from the drive line.
    That is how it seems, I don't think it is supposed to be common knowledge . Proper Channels are supposed to be followed.The driveline noise you describe may be the drive shaft . There is a ton of info on this topic . My suggestion is to drive with someone from the dealership and duplicate this symptom. The next time the exhaust needs cleaned

I am lucky I guess had the MM up to 110 mph smooth as glass.

The question about TSB is what I suspected, it really does mean "Top Secret Bulletin" for the general public.
    The driveshaft vibration is what I thought also. Since this occurs above the legal speed limit, would this still be covered under the warranty?
    Tom
    This one is for sale:
    2000 GM-LS-HPP & DOHC!

The question about TSB is what I suspected, it really does mean "Top Secret Bulletin" for the general public.
    The driveshaft vibration is what I thought also. Since this occurs above the legal speed limit, would this still be covered under the warranty?
    But remember thse shots you take across the desert. yeh that's it in Utah , where there is no speed limit.

jcb100 Guest
    Brad, what is the TSB# for the steering gear yoke plug problem you list? Or is it the 02-1-6 TSB # you state re: road force. please clarify
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradley G
    Finally, I got more info on steering wheel shake . I still have this problem only tried conventional [4] wheel balance so far . "in some affected vehicles , there may be insufficient torque on the lock ring that secures the steering gear yoke plug. This condition has no affect on steering effort or directional control.Driver symptoms are confined to a rattle and vibration during parking or while driving on rough roads . The other bulletin I found regarding this issue is body mounts {TSB98-1-11}2003 & 2004 cv gm vehicles may exhibit a steering nibble above 44mph .Steering nibble is described as a slight rotational back and forth movement of the steering wheel. tsb for road force balance is 02-1-6 hope this helps I will post my results asap

sorry for not being clear

Quote Originally Posted by jcb100
    Brad, what is the TSB# for the steering gear yoke plug problem you list? Or is it the 02-1-6 TSB # you state re: road force. please clarify
    steering gear yoke plug is 04-b13 GMQ, CVIC & Town cr.and MM
    Last edited by Bradley G; 05-21-2004 at 01:17 PM.

Clarification on TSB's

I posted some incorrect info . I am reposting to clear this up .The wheel shake that I have been plagued by seems to be corrected. This came after Wheel align, one regular 4 wheel balance road force balance, then the TSB on the body mounts (too tight) then another road force balance. Got the car back yesterday maybe because I havent driven in a few days but it seems to be better!! The info I posted about the steering gear yoke plug torque is not concidered a TSB but a Field service action that was limited to certain build dates and production plants. The "oasis" from fords computer will identify if your car has this concern. This is supposed to be done every time you bring your car to F L / M dealership.Sorry for the mis info folks I'm still learning and got excited by frustration of not being able to correct this annoying problem resolved

The roadforce balance fixed my wheel shimmying at high speeds...

Exclamation

i had a high speed balance done 6k ago on the car and did not really help but this week going to get a new set of shoes IE: TIRES FOR THE LAY MAN! on her under warr at 13k and will see if that helps!
    SILVER/300B ONE OF 418 (RE-CONTENTING)
    35%TINT
    CONSOLE MOUNT DVD-MP3-PLAYER TV & TRUNK MOUNT VCP PLAYER
    7.0 INCH COLOR FLIP DOWN SCREEN
    HEATED SEATS
    CARGO ORGANIZER
    FACTORY TRUNK MOUNT 6 CD
    SUPERCHIPS TUNED
    SILVER STARS
    V-1 RADAR DETECTOR
    KENWOODS X4
    XM RADIO
    *LOOKING FOR A DEAL ON A "Trilogy Supercharger"*

Quote Originally Posted by SILVERMARAUDER
    i had a high speed balance done 6k ago on the car and did not really help but this week going to get a new set of shoes IE: TIRES FOR THE LAY MAN! on her under warr at 13k and will see if that helps!
    You need to bring that silver back to breakfast on the 19th....

Do tell

Quote Originally Posted by SILVERMARAUDER
    My SM said it might come to that too !! I have 4k on the car . I have had two road force balances done so far and shake has been drasticaly reduced, but over bumps its still there please post results and how it came to the point of new tires.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information