Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF, is it Mercon V OK?

Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF, is it Mercon V OK?

Does any one know if Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF is ok to use for our Mercon V transmissions? On the bottle it says it is approved Mercon, does it mean the old Mercon versions? There is a Mobil 1 Mercon V SynBlend, but I can't find anyone who carries it around here. The full synthetic is the only one I can find.

Anyone poured in Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF and run 50k miles yet?

Mobil I is fine. You'll have no problems.

Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by ahess77
    Does any one know if Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF is ok to use for our Mercon V transmissions? On the bottle it says it is approved Mercon, does it mean the old Mercon versions? There is a Mobil 1 Mercon V SynBlend, but I can't find anyone who carries it around here. The full synthetic is the only one I can find.

Yes. It's fine.
    JW "Jim" Spradling II

2003 MM 300A
    B/D: 05/30/02
    Steeda Underdrive Set
    NGK Plugss & 180 Stat
    4:10 Ford Racing Gears
    Eaton Heavy Duty LTD Slip Diff
    Kooks Long Tube Headers
    SHM Front/Rear Sway Bars
    Mac n' Zack Rear Control Arms
    Eibach Springs
    MMX Driveshaft & Custom Driveshaft Loop
    Custom Exhaust
    Flowmaster 40's
    NOS Noszle Direct Port Nitrous System
    (150 - 300 hp shot)
    NOS Progressive Nitrous Controller
    Custom Dedicated Nitrous Fuel System
    BF Goodrich T/A Drag Radials
    Stallion 3000 Multidisk Converter
    Performance Automatic Transbrake Valve Body
    DR Level 2 Tranny Upgrade + (8-plate J-Mod)
    302 CI Stroker-Built, Balanced and Blueprinted by
    AMS Racing, Bossier City, LA
    Autometer Guages (Trans Temp, Oil Pressure, Nitrous, & Fuel Pressure)
    DR Cylinder Cooling Mod
    Perma-Cool Oil/Transmission Cooler
    Custom Air Box by Paul's HP

Mercon is regular fluid while Mercon V is semi-synthetic fluid. I am using Redline D4 (100% synthetic class) w/ no problems. Amsoil, which is also 100% synthetic is great stuff too.
    2003 - black w/ dark charcoal 300a. polished full size spare, carpeted lid trunk organizer - 2w7z-54115a00-aa, black rear spoiler - 2w7z-5444210-aab, matte black door edge guards - yw7z-5420910-ba, all weather molded vinyl black floor mats - 1w7z-5413086-ha (front) & 1w4z-5413106-ca (rear), Gorilla spline drive chrome plated locking lug nuts, Kenwood kfc-6808c 6x8 3-way speakers in front & rear, Kenwood kfc-1705 6.75" subwoofer, Clarion Proaudio DXZ-835 CD receiver, Clarion Proaudio DCZ 6-disc CD changer, Clarion SIRCL Sirius satellite radio tuner, Superchips tuner, Borla cat back exhaust, SVO rear girdle (T/A performance) & stud kit, Dynotech MMC racing driveshaft, B&M 3 quart+ aluminum finned tranny pan.

Quote Originally Posted by ahess77

I too am looking to run full synthetic in my transmission and can find only Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF on the local shelves. Does anyone know why, if Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF will work in our transmissions which call for Mercron V, why did Mobil go to the hassle and expense of producing Mobil 1 Mercron V SynBlend? Just curious.

And thanks, MitchB and jspradii, for the answer. I sure don't want to ruin that transmission.

Mobil 1 ATF does NOT meet or exceed Mercon-V specifications.

Mercon-V spec does not simply mean its semi-synthetic, there are different friction modifiers and some variances in the additive package... nothing to really write home about but only Redline D4 ATF and "apparently" Amsoil ATF are the only 2 fully synthetic ATFs that meet/exceed Mercon-V specifications.

Joshua, Texas (between Burleson & Cleburne)
    Quote Originally Posted by metroplex
    Mobil 1 ATF does NOT meet or exceed Mercon-V specifications.

Mercon-V spec does not simply mean its semi-synthetic, there are different friction modifiers and some variances in the additive package... nothing to really write home about but only Redline D4 ATF and "apparently" Amsoil ATF are the only 2 fully synthetic ATFs that meet/exceed Mercon-V specifications.
    The Royal Purple MAX ATF also meets or exceeds Mercon V per their website. I hope it's the truth as that's what I'm running...

Joshua, Texas (between Burleson & Cleburne)
    Use the search box on that site-Type in "Mercon V" and the cross reference shows the application of Royal purple MaxATF for Mercon V.

Quote Originally Posted by 2003 MIB
    Use the search box on that site-Type in "Mercon V" and the cross reference shows the application of Royal purple MaxATF for Mercon V.
    Here's what they say:

Royal Purple Recommendation
    (suitable / preferred)
    Max ATF still does not meet/exceed Mercon-V specification, but that doesn't mean you can't use it... I would prefer to stick with the Mercon-V ATF as the friction modifier allows for crisper shifting.

What are the benefits for y'all in switching to any of these aftermarket tranny fluids? Why isn't the OEM fluid good enough? Is there a problem with it? Foaming? Early breakdown? Lower heat tolerance?

Early on, Kenny Brown had some issues with the Stallion triple plate torque converter, and PI's instructions were to use only the OEM Merkon V. Kenny did and the problem (incessant chattering and inconsitent lockup) went away. Now I see my friend jspradii has a PI triple plate and he says everything is okay. Considering his mods and outstanding performance (way to go James), he's one voice I need to listen to here. But, before I consider any switch over, someone explain why I should?

BTW, I'm a believer in early fluid changes, so, cost is a factor too. IMHO, cleaner is better, and I'll be including the cost of fresh fluids and early changes in my decision.

Anyone?

Max ATF still does not meet/exceed Mercon-V specification, but that doesn't mean you can't use it... I would prefer to stick with the Mercon-V ATF as the friction modifier allows for crisper shifting.
    I am really glad this thread got started as I had intentions of using the Royal Purple MAX ATF tranny fluid in the near future. Now I'm not so educated as to check the type of Dextron/Mercon ratings, and wasn't even aware since I'm no motorhead.

Now Metroplex's comment has me thinking....maybe I should return this stuff and find something else for my tranny when it comes out next month? I mean, why would RP say it was suitable if in fact it isn't?

And...is it possible to ADD some type of friction modifier to the RP fluids?
    2017 Niro

Quote Originally Posted by CRUZTAKER
    I am really glad this thread got started as I had intentions of using the Royal Purple MAX ATF tranny fluid in the near future. Now I'm not so educated as to check the type of Dextron/Mercon ratings, and wasn't even aware since I'm no motorhead.

Now Metroplex's comment has me thinking....maybe I should return this stuff and find something else for my tranny when it comes out next month? I mean, why would RP say it was suitable if in fact it isn't?

And...is it possible to ADD some type of friction modifier to the RP fluids?
    I use Royal Purple Max ATF for a couple reasons, and they have nothing to do with the converter rattling (it still does when it's cold and not up to full spool pressure): First, in my particular application, with a 100 hp shot of nitrous, I'm pumping out 550 ft/lbs of torque AT LAUNCH (3000 rpm). Now this is heavy torque, and with a 300 hp shot I expect perhaps another 200 ft/lbs torque on my stroker on top of that; second, I have the full Jerry W. bullet proofed tranny (8 steel/friction plates, no pressure plates, lube & bushing mods, etc) for horsepower apps > 750 hp. I also change the tranny fluid every 10,000 miles or 30 passes at the track regardless of miles (as much to have the fluids analyzed for unusual wear info, as much as anything else). I see no reason why anyone would use anything other than Mercon V for normal driving, either N/A or super/turbocharged, unless you've heavily modified the tranny and/or do a lot of drag racing with it. It can get to be quite expensive to change the fluid every 10k unless you're really putting the stress on the converter/tranny/diff setup. The best single investment you can make for your tranny is a good quality cooler, as heat will kill the tranny quick, no matter what brand of fluid you use. I use a Perma-Cool setup for that, and its keeps things nice and cool, even under high stress/load conditions.
    Long and short: if you are running stock, or a super/turbo or nitrous car under 500 ft/lbs of torque with or without a modified tranny, Mercon V is, as Mac sez, your best deal. It does the job and, as importantly, allows you to change it economically more frequently. And, remeber the first rule; keep it cool! Sorry for being so long winded!
    JW "Jim" Spradling II

2003 MM 300A
    B/D: 05/30/02
    Steeda Underdrive Set
    NGK Plugss & 180 Stat
    4:10 Ford Racing Gears
    Eaton Heavy Duty LTD Slip Diff
    Kooks Long Tube Headers
    SHM Front/Rear Sway Bars
    Mac n' Zack Rear Control Arms
    Eibach Springs
    MMX Driveshaft & Custom Driveshaft Loop
    Custom Exhaust
    Flowmaster 40's
    NOS Noszle Direct Port Nitrous System
    (150 - 300 hp shot)
    NOS Progressive Nitrous Controller
    Custom Dedicated Nitrous Fuel System
    BF Goodrich T/A Drag Radials
    Stallion 3000 Multidisk Converter
    Performance Automatic Transbrake Valve Body
    DR Level 2 Tranny Upgrade + (8-plate J-Mod)
    302 CI Stroker-Built, Balanced and Blueprinted by
    AMS Racing, Bossier City, LA
    Autometer Guages (Trans Temp, Oil Pressure, Nitrous, & Fuel Pressure)
    DR Cylinder Cooling Mod
    Perma-Cool Oil/Transmission Cooler
    Custom Air Box by Paul's HP

I am a GM trained and ASE certified automatic transmission technician and would like to draw a few things to everyones attention.

The engineers have tweaked this transmissions' springs, fluid passage orifices, valves, clutch materials and even programmed the shifting points and TCC percentages with one fluid in the test bed, Mercon V (or equivalent). The use of anything less will void the warranty and I'm not suprised to hear of the chattering and inconsistent TCC from those that have done so.

I also know from experience that frequent fluid changers had the best durability, some into the 200,000+ miles, on working trucks no less, with no need for overhaul. Every 25-30,000 mi is adequate.

Work out the math. I'm going for factory fluid. The only thing I'm "going mobile" on is The Who. (Oh no, I just dated myself)

The filters nowadays are the size of car vacuum cleaner bags and the only stuff they're ever going to be filtering out that needs to filtered out is the flashing and early clutch material flake-offs that any automatic transmission will blow off in the first 1000 miles. It never has to be changed unless something has already gone wrong. Changing the filter can be dangerous, you may get the high school drop-out. So go for the "line change" type fluid change.

One last caveat, if your going for an extra cooler make sure the fluid leaves it headed for the radiator. If it's too cold and the computer doesn't know it (it goes by the engines' temperature and assumes the transmission fluid is at least as hot as the engine coolant) you will put the transmissions' clutches on a slow burn to ultimate and inevitable failure.

Quote Originally Posted by 2003 MIB View Post
    The Royal Purple MAX ATF also meets or exceeds Mercon V per their website. I hope it's the truth as that's what I'm running...
    You are correct, that is what I ran in my Crown Vic P.I., doing a full flush. Royal Purple Synthetic is fully compatable with Mercon V requirements. (As confirmed by their tech department)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information