Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MV food/bar recommendations from the locals:

MV food/bar recommendations from the locals:

Not sure if anyone's looking for local recommendations on food and drink, but I figured we could start a thread for this. Here are my limited recommendations.

Melt Bar & Grilled - 6700 Rockside Rd., Independence OH 44131 (multiple locations throughout NE Ohio but the Rockside one is closest to the host hotel)
    Grilled cheese taken to the N'th degree and a beer list that goes a step further.
    Recommended: Mighty Macaroni Melt w/BBQ pork paired with a Coors.

Swenson's Drive In - 7635 Broadview Rd., Seven Hills OH 44131 (multiple locations throughout NE Ohio but the Broadview one is closest to the host hotel)
    Drive-up service with less atmosphere than Sonic, but you really oughta try a Galley Boy burger...
    Recommended: As mentioned, the Galley Boy, and one of those orange freezy things.

Tommy's - 1824 Coventry Rd., Cleveland Heights OH 44118
    Long-standing and well-rounded restaurant with award-winning milkshakes in the Coventry neighborhood. While you're there, check out Big Fun, a cool retro toy store just a few doors down. Also down the road from historic Lakeview Cemetery, where a nice view of Cleveland can be had from the President Garfield monument.
    Recommended: "Elaine" with a chocolate milkshake.

Sterle's Country House - 1401 E. 55th, Cleveland OH 44103
    Absolutely delicious Slovenian food at this landmark joint. Nearish downtown, just a short drive down Euclid Avenue. Can't recommend much else in the area, but if'n you're feeling like Slovenian eats, this is your place.
    Recommended: Chicken paprikash & beer. Doesn't matter what kind of beer.

Sokolowski's University Inn - 1201 University Rd., Cleveland OH 44113
    Proper Polish cuisine served cafeteria style. Prepare for a super long line along with their goofball hours...but y'gotta love it. Nice view of the CLE skyline and near the Christmas Story House.
    Recommended: Wienerschnitzel dinner - Saturday

Lucky's - 777 Starkweather, Cleveland OH 44113
    Weekend brunch served 9am-3pm. Farm-fresh ingredients, just generally tasty eats, y'know? Also near the Christmas Story House.
    Recommended: Lucky's Cuban and a fizzy berry soda

Happy Dog - 5801 Detroit Av., Cleveland OH 44102 (west) | 11625 Euclid Av., Cleveland OH 44106 (east)
    You like hot dogs? Beer? What about hot dogs covered with a bazillion toppings, and a side of tater tots also covered with a bazillion toppings? Dirt cheap and damn good. Oh, and live music most nights with a $5 cover. West location is near the movin'-on-up Gordon Square neighborhood. East location is near University Circle as well as Lakeview Cemetery.
    Recommended: Go for the weird toppings. Hot dog with bacon, nacho cheese, Froot Loops (seriously), and onions. Genny Cream Ale on draft.

Slyman's - 6901 Rockside Rd, Independence, OH 44131
    Corned beef sandwiches as big as your head. 'Nuff said. Right by the hotel.
    Recommended: Buy some corned beef to take home on ice.

Beachland Ballroom And Tavern - 15711 Waterloo Rd., Cleveland OH 44110
    Just plain the best music venue in town. They also have food during their shows and it's usually good, so F House Of Blues. See something different on Waterloo Rd., which is just about as much a Cleveland Cinderella story as you can imagine.
    Recommended: Tall can of Schlitz.

And for anyone coming from the south who likes fried chicken, you can't go wrong with the official Barberton chicken...
    Belgrade Gardens - 401 E. State St., Barberton OH 44203
    Recommended: Regular Regular with a side of hot sauce (trust me) and a side of fries.
    Last edited by a_d_a_m; 08-03-2016 at 11:07 AM.
    '03 Marauder | '91 Country Squire | '18 Flex Ecoboost | '92 Shadow VT1100 | '15 Road King
    former Panthers: '02 MGM, '04 MGM, '04 MGM v2.0, '04 MM, '07 P71 w/5-speed, '04 CVLX, '03 SAP P71, '10 P7B
    CLICK HERE and have your Marauder's COA info added to the database!!! | 2003 list ||| 2004 list
    Quote Originally Posted by offroadkarter View Post
    Reinhart's tuning skills were comparable to an ape slapping the keyboard in microsoft excel.

Thanks for the info, Adam...I always like to try local fare when travelling.

Slovenian food? There's one I have to try...

Also, for anyone coming with kids who just want a quick drive-thru, there is a Wendy's and also a Denny's close to the hotel.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

I'll be following you!

I provided links to their websites; all should have some menus so you can see what they've got before you take the risk...LOL.
    I should have put a mention of my favorite dish. May go back and edit.
    '03 Marauder | '91 Country Squire | '18 Flex Ecoboost | '92 Shadow VT1100 | '15 Road King
    former Panthers: '02 MGM, '04 MGM, '04 MGM v2.0, '04 MM, '07 P71 w/5-speed, '04 CVLX, '03 SAP P71, '10 P7B
    CLICK HERE and have your Marauder's COA info added to the database!!! | 2003 list ||| 2004 list
    Reinhart's tuning skills were comparable to an ape slapping the keyboard in microsoft excel.

+1 Melt..you will wait for a table, pretty much guaranteed. but worth any wait.

+1 Swensons, recommend 1/4 or 1/2 pounder with cheese and whatever normal regular toppings. they dont have quacamole or avacado , pretty much standard lettuce, tomato, onion type stuff

No inside dining, eat in car only or take with. .
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

+2 on Melt. Absolutely the best grilled cheese. Can't speak to the one in Ohio but we stopped at the one in Coeur D'Alene, ID on our trip out to Seattle. So good
    2003 Trilogy Supercharged Marauder

Quote Originally Posted by Mebot View Post
    +2 on Melt. Absolutely the best grilled cheese. Can't speak to the one in Ohio but we stopped at the one in Coeur D'Alene, ID on our trip out to Seattle. So good
    Different Melt. Idaho is called Meltz, here it is local only called Melt bar and grilled.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Yep - there are a few similarly-named restaurants, but the Ohio one opened ca. 2004-05...

Whitey's Booze N Burgers (Opens at 3pm)
    3600 Brecksville Rd. Richfield, OH
    15-16 miles south of Embassy suites with 14.5 miles being highway

Huge A$$ burgers, need a fork for toppings falling off, and known for their chili.

www.whiteyschili.com (website not responding presently)

Musketeers Bar and Grille (opens 11am)
    3027 Brecksville Rd. Richfield, OH
    15-16 miles south of Embassy Suites, 14.5 being all highway

Sports Bar setting, 16 rotating drafts beers, and over 80 bottle beers

http://www.musketeersgrill.com/index.html

Quaker Steak and Lube (opens 11am)
    5935 Canal Rd, Valley view, OH
    2 miles form Embassy suites

Chain restaurant in lots of areas of US
    Bar food..nothing spectacular

Wednesday is bike night and there could be 1000 motorcycles there so parking is off limits in their lot

http://thelube.com/
    Last edited by RubberCtyRauder; 08-04-2016 at 06:44 AM.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

I dont know if Sterles Slovenian food place is in a great part of town. I've never been there, just going off a coworker telling me that a few years ago. Yes, no? Adam. I'm pretty particular where I'll take my Marauder.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Quote Originally Posted by RubberCtyRauder View Post
    Quaker Steak and Lube (opens 11am)
    5935 Canal Rd, Valley view, OH
    2 miles form Embassy suites

Chain restaurant in lots of areas of US
    Bar food, has good wings
    LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by RubberCtyRauder View Post
    I dont know if Sterles Slovenian food place is in a great part of town. I've never been there, just going off a coworker telling me that a few years ago. Yes, no?
    E. 55th between Saint Clair and Superior ain't bad, especially in the daytime. 55th gets dicey the further south you go, but this is close enough to the Shoreway that it's not bad. South of Cedar Rd. is where it gets into CMHA territory.

I hear ya..for a chain the wings aren't bad. I don't frequent them, but the wings I had last were good, but I am no aficiando for wings in NE ohio.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Have to agree with a_d_a_m on the wings,

Winking Lizard is maybe a mile south of the hotel on the same street. A local chain, much better wings and other food, great beer selection. We'll post up a bigger selection of nearby references in the next month.
    MARAUDERS get me ****!

I agree Winking Lizard is better..I only listed it as it was super close to hotel.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Yeah, forgot all about the Lizard. For the local chains I'd say their wings are the best. Didn't want to recommend some of the tiny dive bars as the atmosphere and seating room are probably not ideal for a car meet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information