Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low brake pedal

Low brake pedal

My MM has a low brake pedal..Just like others that have posted this same condition,Pump the pedal twice and it's fine..I just had new rotors and pads installed.The first day,the pedal was fine.Next day and the pedal is low again.I'm going to buy the SS brake lines being sold by TCE..Will this fix the issue?After having the new brake lines installed,I figure that they'll need to be bled..Can any shop do this or do they need the machine for the ABS system?How much should this job cost??

The SS lines won't fix a LOW pedal, but they will make the pedal feel more firm once it engages.

Sounds like whoever did your brake job didn't bleed the system properly...I'd go back to them and tell them to make it right.

You don't need a special machine unless you let the master cylinder run dry.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Low brake pedal

The pedal is firm.I just have to push it further than I would like.As I said,pump it once or twice and it's higher.This is exactly the way it was before the new rotors and pads.I replaced those because I did a pad slap previously and had a bumpy pedal from grooves in the rotors.I doubt a bleed was done.When replacing pads and rotors is a brake bleed needed?
    The brakes have had this condition for a very long time.They stop good.The pedal is firm.The problem is the that the pedal goes down lower than I want unless I pump it twice.I've seen this condition mentioned numerous time on this forum..Some say SS lines.Some say master cylinder.

As stated the SS lines ill make the pedal rock-hard if the brakes are bled properly.

I'd swap out the lines and gravity bleed the system.

If the brake fluid is dirty, remove as much as you can with a turkey baster - I get the at the dollar store - replace with clean fresh fluid, open right rear bleeder screw and let it drain until you get clean fluid, then close the bleeder screw. Always check the master cylinder, make sure it ever gets empty. Do the same for the the left rear, right front and left front.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Brakes

Thanks for the info.My pedal is firm.The issue is the pedal is low.I have to push it further than I would like.Two pumps and the pedal is where I want it.Not a soft or spongy pedal issue....I have read others with the same issue.The only one I remember that fixed it,cut 1/4 inch of vacuum hose.
    I was asking if the SS brake lines would cure this.From the answers,it doesn't sound as if the lines are the problem..

Buy lines and replace yours

Problem was there before you had rotors replaced

If it was the booster, no matter how many times you pumped the brakes, you wouldn't get the assistance from the booster. I.e. Pumping makes it better, then it's not the booster
    The twins2.3 whipple/aluminatorVortech V-2 lots of goodies

Current marauders
    04 DTR totaled JUST NOW starting to part out 7-21-2021 https://youtu.be/REUxjP1BVpg

04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop Whipple Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop V2 Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Converted
    03 DBP Light Flint #122
    03 DBP Dark Charcoal #232
    03 Silver Birch 300b Light Flint Going to fix er up
    03 Black 300a
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal moonroof in the works

04 Heaton Swapped DTR
    Joe's Wrecked DTR rebuild thread

I'll do it.Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bugsyc View Post
    I'll do it.Thanks
    Make sure the emergency brakes are adjusted.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

As I have been down this road........ In my case the master cylinder had an internal leak, replaced it and the problem went away. It is possible that there is air in the system, if you can safely get your ABS to engage in a parking lot somewhere, afterwards, is the pedal better? If so, you need to bleed the system, their is air someplace.

If that abs trick doesn't make the pedal feel better, then you are most likely looking at a master cylinder. Your parking brake is a separate system and has nothing to do with pedal feel.

I always bleed my brakes after replacing pads or rotors, fluid gets old and contaminated, it does occasionally need changed.
    I LOVE Jerry's bar, it's my kinda place...........

When you are dead, you don’t know you are dead. It is difficult only for others. It is the same way when you are stupid.

"Chuck Norris built my stock longblock. It runs on the tears of small children and makes 10,000 hp. He said it's his 'street version' "

Trilogy # 192 / T.S. 0012

BOOST GETS YOU FELONY STOPPED!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Spectragod View Post
    As I have been down this road........ In my case the master cylinder had an internal leak, replaced it and the problem went away. It is possible that there is air in the system, if you can safely get your ABS to engage in a parking lot somewhere, afterwards, is the pedal better? If so, you need to bleed the system, their is air someplace.

If that abs trick doesn't make the pedal feel better, then you are most likely looking at a master cylinder. Your parking brake is a separate system and has nothing to do with pedal feel.

I always bleed my brakes after replacing pads or rotors, fluid gets old and contaminated, it does occasionally need changed.
    I was in st. Louis a few weeks ago actually at for the July several guys that drove my car made that comment that my brake assist all the sudden fades.
    Now I'm looking into what you just described for a master cylinder or if anybody has suggestions I've been reading about the brake booster and all that.
    But I definitely have those symptoms

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk
    2004 Trilogy #93P 12.2@113 Built and stalled

Have you tried bleeding them?Seems like the first and cheapest place to start.Let us know how you make out.I'll do the same..Hopefully that's what's up.

Brakes still not great.

I bled the brakes.It only made a slight improvement.I'm still not happy with them.Next step will be to replace the brake hoses with Todd's SS lines. I didn't mention that I have a line lock on the front brakes.I haven't really used it in years.I'm wondering if that is part of the issue? I'll check back when I put the new brake lines in...I tried pushing the brake pedal and then starting the car.There was no movement of the pedal on start up.Does that mean something?

When the car is all put back together, put your eyeballs on the hose and have someone jam on the brake pedal

Watch those hoses rubber hoses flex

Yours is a 300a right? So no traction control?
    The twins2.3 whipple/aluminatorVortech V-2 lots of goodies

Current marauders
    04 DTR totaled JUST NOW starting to part out 7-21-2021 https://youtu.be/REUxjP1BVpg

04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop Whipple Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop V2 Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Converted
    03 DBP Light Flint #122
    03 DBP Dark Charcoal #232
    03 Silver Birch 300b Light Flint Going to fix er up
    03 Black 300a
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal moonroof in the works

04 Heaton Swapped DTR
    Joe's Wrecked DTR rebuild thread

Quote Originally Posted by Turbov6Bryan View Post
    When the car is all put back together, put your eyeballs on the hose and have someone jam on the brake pedal

Watch those hoses rubber hoses flex

Yours is a 300a right? So no traction control?
    The car is all together now..Yes,300A.No traction control..Yep,new hoses are on the agenda.

Low brake pedal

All cars have a firmer pedal if pushed more than once. Are you positive you just haven't gotten to accustomed to the Charger's? Newer car, better refined.

The line lock is just a check valve, unless it's leaking then rule it out.

Sent from my iThrone using Tapatalk
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information