Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car stuttering

Car stuttering

Car has started to kind of stutter at 40 or 50 mph and then is fine after about 10 more miles per hour. No cel.

I figure maybe a bad cop? Or maybe trans? Car has 164,500 miles on it
    2003 Mercury Marauder 300B (Daily Driver)
    1988 LTD Crown Victoria S

Sounds like a coil or coil wire to me.
    03 Marauder 300a
    392 hp / 406 tq

Replaced the coils. So far so good. I know that a few were previously replaced on the passenger side but not sure which ones.

My truck with the 5.4 has done the 40-50 shutter since I bought it three years ago. I normally don't invest anything but fluids on daily's until something breaks and it interferes with starting and stopping..

So in this case speed up or slow down LOL.

Keep us updated please, I might just gamble myself as it could easily be many other things. I've been choosing to ignore it but I know she's down on power and would appreciate having some back!

Sent from my iThrone using Tapatalk
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Stuttering is harder to spot (more subtle) but its still there. I'll have to take the car up another hill (where its most noticeable) to definitely confirm the problem still exists.

Quote Originally Posted by Ourobos View Post
    Sounds like a coil or coil wire to me.
    What is involved with replacing the coil wires? Anyone have a Ford part number?
    Last edited by 88LTDCV351; 09-27-2016 at 11:54 AM.

No old school plug wires. The coil on plugs just plug in with a connector. They get old and brittle. Make sure they are seated all the way. Use a dab of silicone if the retainer clip is snapped off or if you don't hear a click.
    Clean the MAF.

The clips didn't appear to be brittle and they were intact but I only remember hearing a few actually make a click noise when connecting them to the new COP but they appear to be snug and in there good.

Quote Originally Posted by tbone View Post
    Clean the MAF.
    OK, I'll try cleaning the air flow sensor. Next I might try the spark plugs, fuel filter and whatever other tune up type stuff I can think of.

If you didn't hear a click they can work their way up and not make good contact. Ask me how I know.

Cleaned the MAF but had no effect. I'll check the clips again this weekend. I think I'll also get some spark plugs and replace them and see if that makes a difference.

Scanned for codes but didn't get any.

If none of that works it may just be torque converter shudder!!
    Last edited by Marauderjack; 09-28-2016 at 02:52 PM.
    No Marauder

http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/203

Should I try this? "...one way to identify a torque converter shudder is lightly touching the brake pedal. While carefully maintaining vehicle speed with one foot, delicately apply the brakes with the other. If the shudder immediately stops, with brake application, the problem is likely the torque converter clutch. When the operating system sees brake application, most vehicles release the torque converter clutches. A trained transmission-service technician can also test for torque converter lockup using a specific vehicle scan tool. These tests are important as a slight engine misfire very often causes the same sensation and is may be mistaken for a torque converter shudder."

Yes, that's the definitive test for TC shudder.

The only thing I would clarify is that you don't want to actually apply the brakes, you just want to push the pedal enough to light the brake lights. If that doesn't stop the shuddering, then it's either a misfire, or possibly a faulty DPFE, but those are rare in the 4V motor.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Add one bottle of Friction Modifier......if it fixes it (usually in a few miles) just drive it awhile then do a Trans Flush......if not it won't hurt a thing and you can resume your search!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-XL3-FRI...-/310303114133

FORD Dealers carry it too!!

Be careful......this stuff really STINKS and if ya spill it.......you'll live with it quite awhile!!

I have used it in every CV I've had and the Marauder gets a bottle every 30K miles.......NEVER A HINT OF SHUDDER!!

Good Luck!!
    No Marauder

If you change the plugs make sure you torque them to spec.
    03 Marauder 300a
    392 hp / 406 tq

OK, so I tried the TC shudder test on the way home. The stuttering did not go away. And this morning, I read the codes from the computer again and this time there were some error codes. Misfire detected on startup and misfire on cylinder 1. So sounds like my best bet is to change the spark plugs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information