Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lighting Control Module Recall

Lighting Control Module Recall

I found out our cars are the subject of an advance recall by Ford of the LCM on the cars made at the St. Thomas Assembly Plant in Canada. The dealer replaced mine at no charge! FYI, you have to tell them the headlights cut out intermittently To get it replaced .
    Black 2003 300A- built 9/07/02, # 4,675 of 7094. Trilogy #243, Installed and tuned by Mo's Speed Shop. K&N cold air intake, Aeromotive fuel pump, Kenne-Bell boost a pump, dual oil catch cans, cooling mod, complete Stainless Works long tube headers and exhaust system, Meg's non-resonated 3.5" exhaust tips , 4.10 gears. Zack & Jerry big brake conversion, TCE stainless brake lines, Ntto NT555-G2 tires;. Ridetech coilovers in front Ridetech adjustable shocks on rear air suspension. ADTR front & rear sway bars, Metco rear control arms, watts link and driveshaft loop, upgraded transmission , PTC 2800- 3000 stall torque converter, transmission cooler, driveshaft balanced, window tint, trunk spoiler, trunk organizer, SS rear bumper inserts. S55 tail lights, Red Line floor mats, Ford Escape Audiophile 6 CD Stereo, BC4E dead pedal. FBM satin aluminum pedals. Colex Supercharged Marauder emblems. Car Motorsports custom hood insulator.

Lot's of threads on this, but thanks for the reminder.

There is another recall that is currently in the advanced notice stage (meaning the repair procedure is not yet available or parts are not yet available in sufficient quantities) and in my experience looks to be as if they are going to replace all LCM's in 03-05 panthers that have not already been replaced under the current recall.

The big difference to note between these two recalls is the current one is simply a warranty extension, if the LCM has failed, it will be replaced no charge, however if it is currently functioning the warranty extension will not replace it preemptively. The new recall - again is still advanced notice and the exact procedure has not been outlined - will likely mean they will be asking all owners to bring there cars in to have the LCM replaced even if they are not having any issues. This newer "replace all LCM's" recall is likely the result of a couple of deaths due to failed headlights.
    I eat apples until my stomach feels much more full than its normal.

Quote Originally Posted by MM03 View Post
    FYI, you have to tell them the headlights cut out intermittently To get it replaced .
    Depending on the dealer, they may insist that they need to personally witness a malfunction. My local dealer did, anyway, so I ended up going to a Lincoln dealer in the next county (where a CVN member works). He wrote it up and it was replaced the LCM on my MGM without issue.
    '03 Marauder | '91 Country Squire | '18 Flex Ecoboost | '92 Shadow VT1100
    former Panthers: '02 MGM, '04 MGM, '04 MGM v2.0, '04 MM, '07 P71 w/5-speed, '04 CVLX, '03 SAP P71, '10 P7B
    CLICK HERE and have your Marauder's COA info added to the database!!! | 2003 list ||| 2004 list
    Quote Originally Posted by offroadkarter View Post
    Reinhart's tuning skills were comparable to an ape slapping the keyboard in microsoft excel.

If this becomes a full-blown recall, then I don't think the dealer has any say in it...they just replace what's called for.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

When I did mine two years ago under the original recall they said if it doesn't show up as that issue you pay us for the diagnosis whether you choose to repair it or not. I knew what the issue was but they certainly don't go out of their way to try to be helful
    Steven

2004 Marauder Black, loaded
    Vortec S/C
    4.10s
    3500 PI Stall
    Kook's headers
    476.9 rwhp 385 lbs/tq
    KVR's, QA1's, M&Z control arms, rear sway bar
    Lidio tune
    2004 Suburban Dark Charcoal
    1970 W-30 442 convertible twilight Blue

I told my dealer I was having an issue and the service guy mentioned the recall. I knew about the recall but let him be the one to bring it up. They fixed it without any question. This was right before I got the letter 6 months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by stevengerard View Post
    When I did mine two years ago under the original recall they said if it doesn't show up as that issue you pay us for the diagnosis whether you choose to repair it or not. I knew what the issue was but they certainly don't go out of their way to try to be helful
    Yea, sometimes this can be a tough spot to be in. Ford specifically tells dealership employees that the issue must be diagnosed first. Some guys know when they get the complaint that it just needs the LCM, others don't and insist on doing the diagnosis, the problem arises when a tech can not duplicate the concern, or if diagnosis otherwise does not confirm the LCM to be faulty, in which case Ford will not pay the dealership for any of their time spent testing, and if you are not paying for it as well then the Technician, Advisor and Service manager, who are all paid on performance, do not make a dime for their time and efforts. It's a crappy situation, but it is what it is.

In the case of my black 03b, the lights would turn off for the briefest period, maybe once a month, which would ultimately make confirmation and diagnosis of the issue impossible, strictly following Ford guidelines that is.
    I eat apples until my stomach feels much more full than its normal.

Does anyone know if the LCM causes any other effects besides the headlights not working??

Quote Originally Posted by a_d_a_m View Post
    Depending on the dealer, they may insist that they need to personally witness a malfunction. My local dealer did,
    Tell them to take it for a drive on a dark night on a twisty road in the mountains and get back to you......

That is just so full of stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by MarauderMason View Post
    Does anyone know if the LCM causes any other effects besides the headlights not working??
    Eventually the tail lights (not the brake lights), parking lights and the fog lights will fail.

I replace all those relays with upgraded ones and will guaranty the repair for the life of the vehicle.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

This is correct. I had my headlights work just fine but a friend driving behind me at night said i had no taillights (but my brake lights worked)
    2003 Trilogy Supercharged Marauder

Quote Originally Posted by tbone View Post
    Tell them to take it for a drive on a dark night on a twisty road in the mountains and get back to you......

That is just so full of stupid.
    Yes, it is stupid, which is why I ended up going to a different dealer.
    '03 Marauder | '91 Country Squire | '18 Flex Ecoboost | '92 Shadow VT1100
    former Panthers: '02 MGM, '04 MGM, '04 MGM v2.0, '04 MM, '07 P71 w/5-speed, '04 CVLX, '03 SAP P71, '10 P7B
    CLICK HERE and have your Marauder's COA info added to the database!!! | 2003 list ||| 2004 list
    Quote Originally Posted by offroadkarter View Post
    Reinhart's tuning skills were comparable to an ape slapping the keyboard in microsoft excel.

I keep getting letters telling me about it but that the parts are not available and ford will let me know when they are. Dealer says the same. It has been years now and no call/letter ever saying they are in. I had to fix it myself.
    "Come to me, Superman! I defy you! Come and kneel before Zod! Zod! "

They told me my Marauder's VIN wasn't listed in the recall so they were not going to the fix it.
    2003 Mercury Marauder- Stock with 223k miles.

2000 Crown Victoria P73. Deep Wedge Wood Blue.
    SW longtube headers and high flow cats, magnaflow mufflers, 3.55 gears w/track lock, 70mm Aviator TB, PnP factory plenum, ADTR intake tube, 87 octaine tune by MO. Bilstein HD shocks, Mecto Rear control arms w/ watts link, Addco custom order 1.5 inch front sway bar (38mm), 1.25 inch rear bar 31.75mm (only 11 made).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information